MW Test and Tune May 26th

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MW Test and Tune May 26th

That transition practice was awesome. I think that is probably the most important feature to get right in an autocross. The oval course had some of it too so it was nice to play with. You really have to train yourself to NOT brake. I was making Fair put his left foot on the dead pedal so he wouldn't brake. In the end, I wasn't braking on the whole "uphill" section of the oval. It was FAST once you got used to not using the brakes.
    Brian Hanchey
    AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Originally posted by Fair!

The new high speed offset section still favored the M3s, mine and Codys posted the highest in/out Radar speeds. .
      In defense of the STi's, that offset was very fast and we were right at the rev limiter. Speeds were as I recall Terry 55mph, Cody 54mph (on 615s) and me 53mph (in slight dampness). I didn't get data for Jason.

I had a 56-57mph one but it wasn't clean and caused a little bit of damage to the car. =/
      '11 Mustang GT / '95 Frankenpreza

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
      - Dr. Clarkson

Comment

Had a blast - my shoulders and hands are sore today! Thanks to Hanchey, McCall, Paul, and SeanT for letting me sample their cars. McCall's Evo is way fast right out of the box and Paul's car is very, very well developed. And if it wasn't for the lack of a few ponies and a LSD, SeanT's 328 would be 100% better than my M-mobile. Had a great time - props to the Vorshlaggers for putting it together.

And I had to use the brakes just a tiny bit on the offset - stock suspension and 235 Falkens didn't help much.
        Teucci has a good point about trannies - Tommy

Comment

It is just my opinion, but I think the steering in the Evo makes it feel better all around. I used to think it was the "end all be all", but having driven all the STU cars yesterday, I don't believe the Evo is head and shoulders above the STI. Paul's car is really awesome. It pivots and accelerates like nothing else out there. I hope I can make mine that good. I might need a rear bar or more spring rate, but it's hard to know when the car was on corded front tires.

Some times in cars:

My runs:
          Evo: 27.3
          My STI (on corded tires): 27.4
          Paul's car: 26.92

Terry in M3: 27.4
          Last edited by hancheyb; 05-27-2007, 02:01 PM.
          Brian Hanchey
          AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Here are the pics I took:

http://redwood.smugmug.com/gallery/2910107
            -Sean Martin
            2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

Originally posted by Paul
              In defense of the STi's, that offset was very fast and we were right at the rev limiter. Speeds were as I recall Terry 55mph, Cody 54mph (on 615s) and me 53mph (in slight dampness). I didn't get data for Jason.

I had a 56-57mph one but it wasn't clean and caused a little bit of damage to the car. =/
              Hanchey did some offsets in the M3 at the end of the day, with Amy on the Radar and 60mph speeds. This is one of the few advanatages left to the M3 over the STEVOs, and one I need to train myself to exploit better.

What damage? Oh, the fog light cover that got smashed? Join the club - a certain female co-driver in my M3 ripped most of the front undertray off and cody had some underside panels dragging too.
              Last edited by Fair!; 05-27-2007, 06:05 PM.
              Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
              2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
              EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

Originally posted by Redwood
                Cool! Thanks.

230 more pictures we took with Hanchey's Nikon D50: http://vorshlag.smugmug.com/gallery/2911004#156739407

Some samples:

527 MB of files still uploading - I will push some more here when they are done. Some of the best pictures from a Test-N-Tune ever!!! Some of the pictures in the wet are "magazine good". The up close pics of the cars loaded up tell the camber tales pretty well, too. Note the sidewall deflection of the Bridgestone RE-01Rs vs. the Yokohama AD07.
                Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
                2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
                EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

Originally posted by Fair!
                  527 MB of files still uploading - I will push some more here when they are done. Some of the best pictures from a Test-N-Tune ever!!! Some of the pictures in the wet are "magazine good". The up close pics of the cars loaded up tell the camber tales pretty well, too. Note the sidewall deflection of the Bridgestone RE-01Rs vs. the Yokohama AD07.
                  Show us some close up examples of the tires and what you mean, Professor Fair. I looked, but I couldn't really see the difference with my untrained eye. Maybe I wasn't using the right pics...

As usual, I didn't drive enough other cars. Well, I guess the only one I didn't that I haven't driven is Paul's STI and that baby went around like a record. I drove Jason's Evo and it was extremely impressive. Power, brakes, steering. WOW! The seat position and pedal feel was a bit awkward to me, but probably just wasn't used to it. Other than that, it was amazing. I share the same sentiments about Cody's B-stock M3 vs. my car. I like the handling on my car better, but I long for the M3 power and limited slip. The brakes felt pretty equal to me and the extra room in my car made driving fast a bit easier. In summary, I like the front swaybar change and new front Hawk HPS pads, even though Fair dogged on my body roll. Yes, I know, I need AST coilovers. I don't have the cash yet. I checked with my boss on my raise today and he said 7 of the 11 raises he submitted to corporate are still stuck there and he checks every Monday. Hey, it's "only" been 2 months (at least it is retroactive).
                  -Sean Martin
                  2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

Working...
                  X