Houston Tour

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Houston Tour

Do you have side airbags? I'll probably be pulling them soon.

I also have a stock exhaust (full cats) and a UUC TSE catback. Will be going to a Teucci-type setup soon which should drop mega-weight. I'm also looking at ltw doors and having richard pull the sunroof.

Comment

Houston Tour

I do not have side airbags.
      Brian Hanchey
      AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Houston Tour

Thats like 20 lbs for me to pull the two door airbags.

Seriously considering pulling the doors and doing the LTW doors and then having the sunroof removed and the roof reskinned ala Brian.

That's 150 lbs right there I think.

Comment

Houston Tour

How would you reskin the roof? I am looking at the same situation on my 325is. It has a steel moon roof which needs to be held shut for road racing. Easy way would be to weld tabs underneath it, but I would perfer to make it smooth on the top. Seems like welding the perimeter would make for big warp issues plus the gap is pretty big.

Jeff

Comment

Houston Tour

If it is an E36, BMW sells the roof skin for about $800.

Basically, you pull all the windows and trim, pull the headliner and a/b/c pillar covers, remove the sunroof cassette (40lbs) and then remove the roof skin.

The cross supports are part of the unibody, so it's just a matter of re-welding the new skin on and then bodywork to clean it up.

The aluminum window trim is a bitch to remove and you will most likely have to replace it. You'll also most likely break the front window.

It's about a $3500 job in all.

Comment

Houston Tour

That's cool that the parts are there and there seems to be a pretty good process for it. But for 3500, I think I'll blast it in with a MIG and then paint it white. Or, better idea, buy a TIG and have less warp to deal with and still be ahead of the game.... Do you think I could bridge a 1/8 inch gap all the way around?

Thanks,
              Jeff

Comment

Houston Tour

Pics of my slowness

http://conecrazy.org/ipw-web/gallery/05NatTour/IMG_4712
                http://conecrazy.org/ipw-web/gallery/05NatTour/IMG_4713
                http://conecrazy.org/ipw-web/gallery/05NatTour/IMG_4714
                http://conecrazy.org/ipw-web/gallery/05NatTour/IMG_4715
                '11 Mustang GT / '95 Frankenpreza

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
                - Dr. Clarkson

Comment

Houston Tour

First picture looks like you are coming back from Sonic enjoying a cherry lime-aid

Comment

Houston Tour

Damn I want a STi.
                    Teucci has a good point about trannies - Tommy

Comment

Houston Tour

Originally posted by C3
                      Damn I want a STi.
                      Quick, someone start a "Cody needs a new car" thread!!

Comment

Houston Tour

What happened to your passenger side fog light cover ? Did you take it off for more air into the intake ??
                        Toth: "I would sue Duck, but I don't know what I would do with 3 pennies and a hoopty GTO."
                        Me: "I never finish anyth..."

Comment

Houston Tour

Originally posted by C3
                          Damn I want a STi.
                          Where the heck did that come from?
                          Brian Hanchey
                          AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Houston Tour

Originally posted by Dean!
                            What happened to your passenger side fog light cover ? Did you take it off for more air into the intake ??
                            Dean, everyone including you already knows what happened to it. So don't be a retard.

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
                            - Dr. Clarkson

Comment

Houston Tour

Originally posted by Wirtz
                              That's cool that the parts are there and there seems to be a pretty good process for it. But for 3500, I think I'll blast it in with a MIG and then paint it white. Or, better idea, buy a TIG and have less warp to deal with and still be ahead of the game.... Do you think I could bridge a 1/8 inch gap all the way around?
                              Wow, $3500 is a lot of green to lose 40 pounds!

I think Jeff could spend $3500 more wisely for an ITS car. If it were me, I'd have removed the sunroof, motor/cassette, and then cut and weld in a 16 GA sheet in it's place. Might not look as pretty, or lose as much weight, but it'll be safer and somewhat lighter.

All this seems moot now that Wirtz has dumped the 325is for ITS plan. But to do a CMC car for NASA instead, it's worth the loss!

Note: see, I'm not the only one that takes on too many projects, and has to sell one unfinished. Wirtz only needs to do this 4 or 5 more times to catch up. Give me 2-3 more years and my E36 LS1 might run!
                              Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
                              2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
                              EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

Houston Tour

Originally posted by C3
                                Damn I want a STi.
                                Damn I want a M3.

- Dr. Clarkson

Comment

Working...
                                X