Paul Magyar's 1995 Subaru Impreza L - Street Mod/Track build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Paul Magyar's 1995 Subaru Impreza L - Street Mod/Track build

Quick update for Feb 12, 2010: Just a few updates here. Paul has been rounding up parts in a bit of a February Frenzy. Here's some of the things he has nabbed in the past 2 weeks:

• JDM market aluminum GC chassis hood. 22.4 pounds (see above)
    • Some used stock '06 STi struts for temporary use - so we can get the car rolling before the custom AST4200RRs arrive.
    • Used, complete gauge cluster/body/engine/fuel tank wiring harness from an '05 STi. The '04 harness he got previously was missing one sub-harness (that he later found - having a clean garage and accurate labeling is crucial!)
    • Used '05 STi pedal box assembly
    • Used '05 STi dash bar brackets
    • Used '05 STi Brembo brake calipers/brackets for front and rear

We also dropped off the longblock and other engine parts at WattsShop - a local engine builder experienced with complete Subaru engine builds.

Once the new main wiring harness arrives we can start to put that in, then the HVAC, dash, and interior. Then the fuel tank, rear subframe, and all of the (temporary/stock) suspension can go back in. Then brakes, wheels/tires, and it should roll. After it rolls around here, the car heads to COBB for some wiring/splicing/programming magic and tuning work.

At least that The Plan.

More soon,
    Last edited by Fair!; 12-16-2010, 10:27 AM.
    Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
    2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
    EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

Project Update for Feb 17, 2010: Went to work on Paul's car last night. Somehow he had convinced Calvin from COBB to stop by and help. Glad he was there, as Calvin knows Subarus better than Paul or I ever will. The first thing I noticed when I showed up was the JDM market STi front bumper cover was installed. The car is a lot better looking already.

The biggest accomplishment of the night was the fuel tank. The '95 tank didn't have provisions for the rear wheel drive axle, so the '07 tank was needed. But the '95 had chassis several missing or different items that the '07 tank would normally connect to. Paul, Calvin and I spent most of the evening re-routing, modifying, and tweaking these differences - luckily Paul had all of the '07 fuel and vent lines. While under the car pounds of dried mud fell into my face, hair and eyes - brotha needs to do some cleaning under this car!

We found and/or made hoses for all of the different ports on the '07 tank and made it all work (well... we'll know for sure when its fired up). Calvin was pretty certain we took care of everything properly, and he's done some funky Subaru swaps. We mounted the tank, fuel filler lines, fuel feed/return/vent lines, and most importantly - installed the rear wiring harness above the tank from the '04 harness (by this time the missing '04 harness bits were found). This harness had to be routed above the tank, so the tank had been waiting to go in for weeks until the new harness was sourced/found. The tank is all buttoned up and awaiting the rear subframe install next...

The Mishimoto aluminum radiator went in place, and fit beautifully. The new '07 STi rear subframe shown below was to be installed next, followed by a bunch of other rear suspension parts, but Paul somehow lost the subframe mounting bolts... both sets. The ones from the '95 and the ones from the '07 were both missing. We spent a good 30 minutes tearing apart his garage looking for those 4 bolts, to no avail. Messy is inefficient.

Oh well, until next time.
      Last edited by Fair!; 12-16-2010, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Project Update for April 8, 2010: Paul is in Japan all week on vacation, but we did some suspension work on his car 2 weeks ago and I am finally getting around to the update.

We spent some time here at the shop using the press to push out the old rubber bushings from the front and rear control arms and spindles, then pressing in new Whiteline poly bushings and ball joints. This was a chore - we spent a good 90 minutes on these, at least. Some of the rubber bushings had to be drilled/cut out, because they were stuck in the arms/steel sleeves.

He brought dirty parts into my shop. My OCD started to kick in and I got a twitch... so I had to take his crusty control arms and clean them up. They shine like new now.

Once the arms were done we went back to his garage and tinkered with the dash some more. McCall joined us and we redrilled the flanges for the '07 dash bar, made some templates for some other dash brackets we need, etc. The steering column now fits, the harness is in, and its close to being wrapped up inside. Paul even found some nice 2 door, black "2.5 RS" door interior door panels to swap in, which look better than the old '95 panels and fit better with the '07 dash in place (the doors won't close with the '95 door panels and '07 dash in place - there's a raised area on those door panels where the new dash now sits).

After a lot of pushing and pulling we managed to get the '04 STi main harness to fit through the various firewall openings in the '95 L. It looks almost factory, even though the firewall openings are significantly different between the early '90s and late '00s Imprezas. Out back, right now there's a halfshaft that's stuck inside the R180 rear differential (the '07 STI it came from side-swiped a curb, so that halfshaft is fubar) so that needs some attention at from Calvin at COBB to remove.

The interior work is crucial to making all of this fit and function and look right, its just not very glamorous work to look at here (sorry). Oh well, the project is progressing along nicely - very close to drivetrain installaiton time (in retrospect - not so much!). The motor (built at WattsShop) is supposedly done, so that's going to go in soon. And the AST 4200RRs are due to arrive in the next month or so. Paul has some bolt-on flares he has found that we could use (temporarily) to cover the 275/35/18 tires and 18x9.5" wheels, but I am not so sure.

More soon,
        Last edited by Fair!; 12-16-2010, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Project Update for June 21, 2010: Paul has been hacking away at little bits on the Impreza, but progress has been slow (and he's been pitching in on our $2010 Challenge build for most of the summer). I went by last Saturday morning to help him get the R180 rear axle re-installed. He has some other new parts on hand and I snapped some pics:

AST 4200 RR shocks and Vorshlag camber plates (front and rear) were delivered. These go on soon!

Built 2.5L (Wattshop assembled) motor is back. The crazy Moroso oilpan should help with lubrication

Steering column is in and looks good

Left: Paul found a good deal on used STi Brembo calipers. Right: The UltraShield+sliding bracket is ready to bolt in

Left: The axle housing was removed and the damaged halfshaft was pulled @ COBB. Right: Its in its new home now!

There was one rear diff to subframe stud that was buggered up but we fixed it at my shop later that day and Paul installed it and buttoned up the rear axle mounting that afternoon.

More soon,
          Last edited by Fair!; 12-16-2010, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Project Update for June 28, 2010: I went by Paul's last Wednesday night to help him with some fuel line questions. Paul and another local AST/Vorshlag tester/SCCA racer Henry Lin were about to install the transmission, so I stuck around to help for a bit.

We got the trans in with Henry and me bench pressing it up into position while Paul started the bolts. Then we looked at the fuel lines, trying to get the car's factory lines ('95 Impreza) to line up with the ones on the motor ('04 STi) and the fuel tank ('07 STi). Come to find out Paul managed to get the '04 chassis hard lines to fit the '95 chassis the next day, and all is well.

Paul also stuck a front fender on there, as shown in the first row of pics. Since then he's installed some suspension bits, and even some wheels and tires!

Yes, the camber plate above is not a GC specific unit, its just a GD plate that's clocked to fit the GC. I've got more GC plates being made

There's now a formal challenge between Paul Magyar and Jason McCall to see who can finish their project car enough to "make a lap under its own power with no parts falling off". That's a much needed challenge. I'm trying to split my (very little) free time helping them both on their projects. After the 2010 SCCA Solo Nats in September and the $2010 GRM Challenge in October, I'll be a lot more freed up to pitch in.

More soon,
            Last edited by Fair!; 12-16-2010, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Who put the camber plate in wrong?
              Brian Hanchey
              AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Originally posted by hancheyb View Post
                who put the camber plate in wrong?
                doh!

Comment

Originally posted by hancheyb View Post
                  Who put the camber plate in wrong?
                  It is a GD plate in a GC chassis. It is actually in right given it is the wrong plate.
                  '11 Mustang GT / '95 Frankenpreza

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
                  - Dr. Clarkson

Comment

Yea, that's a GD plate, and its temporary... I was wondering who'd catch that first.

Originally posted by Paul View Post
                    It is a GD plate in a GC chassis. It is actually in right given it is the wrong plate.
                    We ran out of GC plates and I need to get a new batch machined with the new higher caster set-up. Its in process, and these GD plates work in a GC, in a pinch...

Comment

Project Update for July 16, 2010: I went by Paul's on Wednesday night to help him do some more assembly on the '95 L, and was again joined by local STi racer Henry Lin and Calvin from COBB Tuning. We worked on various stuff for a few hours and got some more work knocked out. It was hot as Hell.

The "big wheels" (18x9.5") went from the '08 to the '95, and they almost kinda sort wanted to fit under the stock '95 fenders

More importantly, Paul actually worked on the project on his own, since we last met. Amazing! He had installed much of the suspension and brakes, and mocked-up his 18x9.5" wheels that used to be on his '08 STI. Seeing his daily driven '08 STI car on the itty-bitty stock wheels was kinda funny.

Ignore the caption some tard put in the picture (me) - that's actually a 275/35/18 Dunlop on an 18x9.5" wheel!

Maybe he really means to sell the '08 after all? I'll believe it when he removes the AST 4200s and puts the stock suspension back on - he can't stand to drive on marshmallow suspension very long. If anyone has a clean GC8 Outback Sport or another affordable, clean Subaru commuter, speak up! He doesn't need a $35K daily driver (that's all too tempting to take and thrash on a road course) with all of his other race cars and trucks.

The fuel line problems noted in my last update were solved by swapping all the "in-cabin" hard fuel lines to the ones from the wrecked '07 STi donor... with a little wiggling they fit the '95 chassis fine, and now all of the '07 flex lines snap into place with ease - the entire fuel system is now '07 STi, from tank to engine. Oh, and Paul installed the AST 4200-RR shocks, too. The Brembo calipers are awaiting installaiton when the new rear rotors arrive.

While Calvin and Henry helped Paul assemble all of the myriad stock parts to the fully built 2.5L long block, I stayed under the car and installed the driveshaft, rear diff cover, and the shifter (mostly). I hadn't ever worked on any of these bits on a Subaru and I was amazed at their heavy kludgeishness. Subaru!

Paul had already finished up the final install of the '07 dash, steering column, and had a new windshield put in earlier that week. And took no pictures of how he made the small adapter brackets, the douche! His UltraShield Rally Pro seat and slider (formerly in his '08 STi) bolted in place in the '95 with zero effort - took me 5 minutes. The '95 Impreza door panels don't match the '07 dash, so the side doors haven't been closed in a while. That was bugging me to no end (leave the doors open on a car for 9 months around an OCD person??). So at the end of the evening we all took the time to install one of the 2.5 RS door cards, and they fit beautifully - and allow the doors to close, finally!

We need to address the fenders soon, as they won't clear the 275mm tires without some serious persuasion... of the plasma and hammer variety. Also, a lot of items have been checked off of Paul's Project Whiteboard. McCall better catch up (there's a bet to see who can finish their project car first) as Paul is quickly catching and passing in his project's progress!

More soon,
                      Last edited by Fair!; 12-16-2010, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fair! View Post
                        Update for July 16, 2010: I went by Paul's on Wednesday night to help him do some more assembly on the '95 L, and was joined by local STi racer Henry Lin and Calvin from COBB Tuning. We worked on various stuff for a few hours and got some more work knocked out.

[So a lot of items have been checked off of Paul's Project Whiteboard. McCall better catch up (there's a bet to see who can finish their project car first) as Paul is quickly catching and passing in his project's progress!
                        Well if I can get 3 guys to come over to help with my hooptie we might actually be able to fire the motor with a few solid hours of work. Where's the calvary?!?
                        McCall

Comment

Originally posted by McCall View Post
                          Well if I can get 3 guys to come over to help with my hooptie we might actually be able to fire the motor with a few solid hours of work. Where's the calvary?!?
                          Send out the invite for next week in your project thread - I'll pencil it in, for sure.

Comment

Project Update for August 25, 2010: I stopped by Paul's last Sunday to grab some fire sleeve from him for our $2010 GRM E30 V8 project, and while there I took a few pics of the latest progress on his '07 STi drivetrain swap into his '95 FWD 2-door Impreza. One of these days the motor might go in and the rest of the suspension and brakes might go on!

First off, the rear brake rotors are on. Well, one corner. Paul bought "the cheapest rotors money could buy" for the back, just to get the damn thing rolling and to help move things forward. Sure, there's probably some super secret JDM rotor that is .02 pounds lighter, or made from Unobtanium, but "why slow down to get every silly whiz-bang part?" I keep asking him? "Get it running and fine tune this little stuff later!" I remind him weekly.

Paul found some longer ARP wheel studs ($7+ each) and replaced the stock length wheel studs, along with Vorshlag M12-1.25 lug nuts. He had to re-machine the heads slightly on the rear studs to allow for installaiton in the rear without removing the rear wheel bearings. There's a wheel speed sensor hole in the rear brake backing plate that is just a hair too small, but with a .015" removed from the OD of the head of the stud, it slides thru. He machined 10 of them using our lathe in about an hour. Removing a sensor ring from the drive flange allows the old studs to be pushed (hammered) out and the new, long ARP studs to go in. The front didn't take this amount of work, luckily, but he hadn't gotten to that yet.

The shifter was still half-installed from last month, so Paul could hunt down some "missing" parts. That he purchased, and when he went to go put them on they were attached... to the shifter. That I had installed... Hey, I didn't know what that crap looks like, don't blame me! That's what they get for having 3 Subaru guys standing around eating pizza while the non-Subaru guy did all the work under the car to install the shifter. Sheesh.

The fancy competition type transmission mount assembly he bought from Japan for 58 million yen (or something) was sitting on the workbench, so I snapped a pic of that. The stock type Subaru trans and motor mounts are a HIDEOUS JOKE, with large amounts of foamy rubber that has the stiffness of a Stay Puff Marshmallow, so these are a huge step up. It's made me look more closely at making Subaru driveline mounts - the choices are extremely limited (with "harder rubber" versions being the commonly used but still terrible option). I dunno... if it ain't pink or JDM, the Subaru market doesn't rate it very high.

Those are... uhhh... Subaru motor pictures. Paul has been chasing down some hard to find doo-dads for weeks and months, some of which are especially expensive aftermarket parts that are now out of production, which will replace some poorly designed factory piece for the US market cars. Most of it, to me, looks like simple fabricated tubing or whatnot. But apparently these rare JDM parts are the hotness, and help the 2.5L boosted engines make more horsepowers.

Above are more of the same... at left is the US Market "turbulence generators" or flux capacitors or whatever its called. Its not individual throttle bodies, its a way to add turbulence/swirl to the intake port that supposedly helps with exhaust emissions. At right are some "JDM" Subaru parts without the added turbulence generating extra throttle blades, which are hard to get and supposedly add power. Looks like the same parts with the throttles/shafts removed to me, but what do I know?

All I know is that finding these rare gems and JDM pieces is slowing down this build immensely. But with our E30 V8 swap creeping into week 40+, and with the pace never slowing down much below 4 nights a week, I can't throw stones from my glass house.

JDM, YO!

Keep at it, Paul.
                            Last edited by Fair!; 12-16-2010, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Project Update for Oct 24, 2010: Wow, yea.... long time no update. We kinda got buried under the $2010 GRM Project E30 V8, my e46 BMW DSP disaster, the SCCA Solo Nationals and the GRM $2010 event for the past 6 weeks. I managed to get over to Paul's on the 24th and we got a lot of little stuff done - mostly installing new parts he'd received since my last visit. Paul did so some work during that time period... installed a mixture of 2.5 RS and STi and '95 Impreza brake lines in the engine bay are perfectly routed and buttoned up. He also got the steering column in and installed a few other odds and ends.

First thing we tackled: the motor got its new exhaust crossover tube (some fancy aftermarket piece) but its still got the stock up-pipe, exhaust manifolds and turbo. Which is odd to me - wouldn't you want larger diameter headers, up-piping, etc? Or at least ported cast manifolds? Apparently Paul has those upgrades in mind when he adds a larger turbo unit - but for now he wants to just "get it going". Which is what I've been saying for the last year, so I can't complain.

So we got everything we had on hand to add to the motor bolted on and were about to lock down the turbo when Paul noticed we were missing one piece of oil tubing for the turbo, so he's going to order that. Good grief. I'll come back next weekend and we can get that wrapped up and get the motor IN THE CAR, hopefully? Maybe? After we ran out of motor work we jumped into the suspension.

I spent about an hour under the back of the car and with Paul working topside we got the right rear halfshaft installed, the right rear upright bolted to that strut, E-brake cables routed, the ABS wiring routed, and everything in the rear buttoned up. It was still missing the main spring on the left rear but damn it I wanted to see the car on the ground, and with time running out we slapped on all of the wheels (including a temp spare on the right rear) and dropped the car down onto the wheels for the first time in over a YEAR. Sure, one corner was supported by a floor jack... but it almost rolled.

Costas and I had actually dropped by late the Saturday before and temporarily installed the new DEPO headlights/corner lights, the hood, and one of the new Certifit fenders Paul had rounded up and we snapped these iPhone pics, too.

More soon,
                              Last edited by Fair!; 12-16-2010, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Project Update for Oct 30, 2010: Another Saturday spent on Paul M's '95 Impreza and we made more progress, but still no motor in the car. I know, I know... that's all I cared about tackling, but Paul had some worries about something and wanted one of the COBB guys around to make sure we didn't put it in the car without forgetting anything. So with the motor plans dead in the water we jumped into other aspects that still needed to be locked down. We started by swapping the entire doors... ???

Paul M here had traded Jason M the car's original roll up window '95 Impreza doors (~72 lbs) with a pair of '99 RS doors (~75 lbs/each) that had electric windows. The reason for the swap? Well Paul had already scored a complete set of RS inner door panels + RS interior rear panels, but they never came with roll up windows and he didn't want to cut a hole for the crank... or something like that? I didn't understand, but he wanted electric window RS doors and it was an even money swap so he's happy. It didn't take us 45 minutes to swap and align both doors, and they were in better shape than the old ones, so I won't complain further (3 pounds per door is not much for electric windows, I guess). I bolted in the seat/bracket again, too. Paul took pics of the doors with his camera including the scale, and I'll post them up shortly. Maneuvering these doors was some work - they were freagin HEAVY!

We also got the spring on the right rear strut, then got the car on the ground FOR REAL and actually ROLLED it back and forth a foot. On the tires. Really! First time the car actually rolled in over a year. Woo!

We played with ride heights and got the car down to where we think it should be, and leveled the front side to side. Didn't really get a picture of this, but no matter - it didn't stay that way for long.

So the two pictures above show the 18x9.5" wheels and 275s don't fit the rear (nor the front), and Paul had worked during the August/September time frame on "clearancing" the rear left fender to "fit" them. He spent lots of hours and learned some new body work/metal forming skills from a friend, and had a sort of bell shaped lip added to that fender (see the top left pic in this post). He had to cut the outer sheetmetal away from the inner, and had moved it outboard about 1-1.5". It was barely enough clearance once the car was at ride height - but the tire was smashing into the sheet metal once you added some bump travel. No bueno.

Paul thought he could work it even more but the metal was already so "worked" it was starting to get brittle. So he was going to plop down $4500 on some composite "wide body" composite panel garbage. Oh hell no. Next he talked about getting some cheap RaceonUSA 240SX bolt-on flares (blah). That would have taken a bunch of work to fit this car. I had a better idea... metal flares!

I popped back to the shop and brought back several fenders and fender flare sections to Paul's garage. Some of you will know what these are, as they are good metal candidates for flaring I've used in the past (E46 BMW fenders). Oh baby, did they ever look at home on this Subaru!

This was a major "eureka!" moment for the project. The decisions about tire clearancing were solved and its a cheap solution (if somewhat fab-intensive - assume 40 hours of work to do flares right). We checked the SMod rules and we can clearance the inner sheet metal from the axle mounting face outwards, so we made a mark in the inner wheelhouse section showing this line, then Paul started cutting away interfering metal from there outwards. We bolted the tires on both ends and put it back at ride height.

That's the before and after. The bare metal pic with the re-worked fender looks like it might work, but it lacks clearance for upward travel of the tire. It would only ever work for the hard-parking crowd. With the grafted on metal flares we are allowing the suspension to compress into the bump stop and still have tire clearance. This will also allow for a relatively narrow track width and narrower tire/wheel for autocrossing (18x9.5" and 275mm) as well as a wider track width and wheel/tire for track use (295 or more on an 18x10"), better suiting this dual-purpose race car to these two extremes.

Next up: I'm still pushing to get the damn motor in the car! But somehow a threaded, blind hole in the block for the knock sensor is stripped, so Paul is on the search fort a helicoil kit. Then it goes to COBB Tuning Plano for some electronics wizardry and tuning. "It will run before the end of the year", says Paul. Ha! We'll see...

More soon,
                                Last edited by Fair!; 12-16-2010, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X