Vorshlag 1991 BMW 318is

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Vorshlag 1991 BMW 318is

They outlawed it in 2008. No 318is's allowed anymore. You could swap the motor and diff and be legal. Might have to have the tranny too.
    Brian Hanchey
    AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Originally posted by hancheyb
      I looked up the rules. The ol' E30 in NASA would make a great GTS1 car, PTE, or TTE car. It could run BMW Prepared or SCCA STS naturally!

It's an all around great car for autox or roadracing.
      I have to correct myself. The shocks currently aren't Prepared legal. We could redo them back to singles if we had to.
      Brian Hanchey
      AST Suspension - USA

Comment

I put together a short video of Terry driving at the Eagles Canyon BMW Club DE. Watch till the end where you see him almost "go in the rhubarb!!"

(click for video - http://tinyurl.com/6pvugr)

edit by fair: Doh! my edit of this video had that section completely erased!
        Last edited by Fair!; 12-03-2008, 10:59 AM.
        Brian Hanchey
        AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Was the car ever re-dyno'd? Tim Smith recently put up a dyno of his winner and it'd be nice to see the HP difference. Also, was there any resolution to a better tire solution? I was checking around and saw the Hankooks RS2 had a 23" diameter 15" 255 tire (but couldn't find any competitive cars running 'kooks). I'm assuming Katie Elder was running 215/40ZR17 MXs (by what you said earlier)?

Comment

Originally posted by rp1
            Was the car ever re-dyno'd? Tim Smith recently put up a dyno of his winner and it'd be nice to see the HP difference. Also, was there any resolution to a better tire solution? I was checking around and saw the Hankooks RS2 had a 23" diameter 15" 255 tire (but couldn't find any competitive cars running 'kooks). I'm assuming Katie Elder was running 215/40ZR17 MXs (by what you said earlier)?
            We have not re-dyno'd it. I will try to take it by DP this week and get a number. I've been by a few times in the car lately but they always had something on the dyno already...

Katie had the 17" 215mm Dunlops on the rear, I believe (I took pictures of her tires - check our 2008 Nationals Gallery). We think that a move to a 225mm Yokohama or Dunlop in 17" would have been faster. There are many more 17x7.5" wheel options out there for a BMW than in 16" or 15" diameters. Well, the Miata 15x7.5" 949 wheel is an option we could try, but the 15" tire selections stink for Dunlop or Yokohama (the fastest and biggest ST tires in 225mm) and that wheel came out after we had already bought sets of 15" and 16" wheels. Hankooks aren't going to get it done in STS - we tested on the 225mm RS2s and they were down on grip.

Our E30 is for sale, BTW.
            Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
            2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
            EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

What's more important, do you think?

Tire diameter?
              Aspect ratio?
              Weight?

Seems like anything less than 225 would just be silly when the car is already possible in the hole. By the sound of it though, the smaller diameter was a big deal to maximize any power over the Civics. So, as long as the wheel/tire combo aren't too heavy you should be good with the 17", right?

Comment

I feel that the dunlop 215/40-17 on a 17x7.5 wheel would work really good on the car, and help it catch up with the other STS cars. I think Randall needs to buy this, so that I can try it out at the next autocross

-Brian

Comment

Originally posted by BrianGT
                  I feel that the dunlop 215/40-17 on a 17x7.5 wheel would work really good on the car, and help it catch up with the other STS cars. I think Randall needs to buy this, so that I can try it out at the next autocross

-Brian
                  That's a great idea!
                  Brian Hanchey
                  AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Bridgestone also has the RE-11 in 215/40-17 in Japan, so hopefully they will bring that size over
                    http://potenza.jp/lineup/re11/size/17inch.html

Comment

Originally posted by hancheyb
                      That's a great idea!
                      I already talked to Terry. I'm emailing my boss tomorrow about pushing a contract through early so I can get this car once and for all. I've drooled over it long enough...

Comment

Originally posted by rp1
                        I already talked to Terry. I'm emailing my boss tomorrow about pushing a contract through early so I can get this car once and for all. I've drooled over it long enough...
                        We just finished the "for sale" post and really want to move this car. Its about to get posted... everywhere. So far almost no one outside of our little forum knew we had it for sale. Not for long.

http://www.vorshlag.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6553

Step up!

It might go on eBay if we don't get an offer this week. We've got to make room in the shop...
                        Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
                        2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
                        EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

So, what's the status on this car? How's it been doing? Is it being actively auto-crossed?

Comment

Originally posted by rp1 View Post
                            So, what's the status on this car? How's it been doing? Is it being actively auto-crossed?
                            Sold in January. Haven't heard from the new owner.
                            Brian Hanchey
                            AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Looks like it is for sale again...

link
                              ---
                              Adrian

Comment

Originally posted by s52_bmw View Post
                                Looks like it is for sale again...

link
                                That's a great car. Someone should buy it (again)!
                                Brian Hanchey
                                AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Working...
                                X