SCCA # 4 - TMS Bus Lot, June 14, 2009

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCCA # 4 - TMS Bus Lot, June 14, 2009

Well the EVO got a new pair of shoes... we rounded up a couple of pairs of wheels that fit the car (and that cleared the front brakes) and finally got to test out the Yokohama ADVAN AD08s for the first time. In STU we're limited to 245mm section width but wheel size is unlimited. When we're given an unlimited rule we tend to maximize it, and we did with 18x10" wide wheels front and rear. This allows us to stretch the tire to its maximum usable tread width (9.6" as measured) and get every ounce of grip out of this relatively skinny tire.

The car handled well - we didn't shave the tires but it didn't seem to make a difference. We checked pyrometer readings on the tires and they looked good - the tires were warm enough on the second run and Amy's times dropped consistently in her morning (1st heat) runs, with her fastest raw time on run 3. I ran a bit quicker in the afternoon (3rd heat), when the track warmed up and ambient temps approached 95°F, and I sprayed tires after each run. Speaking of raw times... well, Amy and I both hit cones on every run. Its embarrassing but it happened. I just watched video from each run and each one was just a silly driver error.

Results:

Pictures:
    Still, we both won our classes (STU and W), even with cones attached. If you look at my raw times (and I hate when people do this, but I still have to look!) I would have PAX'd 6th out of 141 entries. Many of the driver's quicker that that in PAX included AST/Vorshlag drivers:

1st - xstx 171, Matt Lucas, BMW 328iS (AST 4200 equipped)
    3rd - sts 19, Gerry Terranova, Miata (he normally races in an ES classed AST equipped Miata...)
    4th - stx 173, Barry Booker, WRX, (AST 5300 equipped)

Looking at the video from my fast runs I had some obvious over-driving mistakes that were slowing the car down, so it should have been quicker. Oh well, I'll blame it on learning a new tire setup (even though the tires felt great). Other than the driver, the car worked great and really scooted around that course.

AST 5200 equipped Jeremy Foley won SS

Vorshlag tester Wayne Atkins won ST (and is about to get ASTs)

Amy won the PAX'd women's class, with a cone

Not shown: Barry Booker won a very tight STX class in his WRX on ASTs, Vorshlag tester Paul Magyar won BSP in a borrowed EVO X, Vorshlag Tester Mark Berry won F Prepared in his EVO, and Matt Lucas won the Pro class and top pax for the day in an AST equipped STX E36.

One of the announcers had labeled the EVO the "vomit comet", as in "don't eat before riding in that car!". Sure, it makes a log of grip in all directions, especially considering that its on street tires. We took riders on plenty of runs and nobody threw up; there were nothing but big smiles.

I'll post video and data when Brian is finished crunching the numbers.
    Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
    2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
    EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Re: SCCA # 4 - TMS Bus Lot, June 14, 2009

Fast forward to 1:45 to see the run. I don't have editing sw at the moment.

http://vorshlag.smugmug.com/gallery/...264_dpJGC-A-LB
    Brian Hanchey
    AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Working...
    X