Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Goodbye Heartland Park, Hellooooo Road America!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goodbye Heartland Park, Hellooooo Road America!

http://www.cjonline.com/stories/0514...78779075.shtml

Heartland Park Topeka is losing not one but two major races in 2009.

The Sports Car Club of America announced Monday this is the final year of a three-year contract to hold the SCCA National Championship Runoffs at Heartland Park. They are scheduled for Oct. 6-12.

The Sports Car Club of America's National Runoffs didn't attract the crowd organizers hoped for at Heartland Park.

With the loss of the Runoffs, Raymond Irwin, owner of Heartland Park, said Tuesday he would no longer host the SCCA Solo Nationals after they are completed Sept. 16-19.

Despite the losses of the two races in 2009, Irwin said the track still has a full schedule of about 270 events this year.

"This isn't going to hold us back," he said.

Irwin said he spent $800,000 to put on the SCCA National Runoffs in 2007, which attracted 700 cars racing in 25 divisions but few spectators. He said he made his money back from the event, but it wasn't a huge return on investment. He said the event was more profitable for the community because drivers and their teams spent money on hotels and restaurants while they were in Topeka for two weeks.

But Irwin said he gave away his track for free to the SCCA to host the Solo Nationals in 2006, 2007 and 2008.

"It wasn't doing anything for us," Irwin said.

A lesser known, but still important race, the Solo Nationals is hosted by the Kansas Region SCCA. The event moved to Topeka from Salina in 1995.

It had been held at Forbes Field's massive fields of asphalt, but was moved to Heartland Park in 2006, where it attracted about 275 drivers.

The Solo Nationals attract participants who are weekend drivers. They typically race their own stock vehicles, such as Mini Coopers and Mazda Miatas.

On the other hand, the SCCA National Runoffs are considered the pinnacle in amateur motorsports racing.

The National Runoffs are like the U.S. Amateur in golf.

Jim Julow, president of the SCCA, said the organization has formed a group to examine where to host the Solo Nationals in 2009.

He said the SCCA would like to keep the Solo Nationals in the Topeka area.

"Out of 35 years, it's been in Kansas for about 30 years," Julow said. "My Solo people were waiting on a decision on the Runoffs. This is something they want to keep in this area."

Last weekend, the SCCA board of directors voted to move the SCCA National Runoffs in 2009 to Road America, located in Elkhart Lake, Wis., which is east of Oshkosh.

Julow declined to say what the vote was by SCCA board members, except to say it wasn't unanimous.

About 2,000 people — drivers and their support crews — came to the track for last year's National Runoffs.

Economic development experts said the event brought at least $3 million in direct spending to Topeka.

"I was shocked that it was moving," said Mike Kerchner, senior editor with National Speed Sport News, a motorsports magazine. "I thought it would be there for awhile because the headquarters is there, too."

The SCCA moved its corporate headquarters to Topeka in 2002 from the Denver area, where it was located for more than 30 years.

Julow said SCCA headquarters will remain at Forbes Field.

"We are very happy here," Julow said Tuesday. "We have a 20-year lease."

Kerchner said he hadn't expected the National Runoffs to move because it was at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course for 10 years and Road Atlanta for 23 years.

Julow said the SCCA has changed its philosophy because leadership would like to see the National Runoffs held in various locations around the country.

Heartland Park's road track is about 2.5 miles in length compared with the four-mile track at Road America.

"Road America has an incredible following," Kerchner said. "It's one of the top three or four in road racing. It's a four-mile circuit that is spread through woods and hills. It's a beautiful place."

"It's really a unique and beautiful place," Kerchner said. "That will help draw people to that circuit."

-reprinted from Nasioc.com
    '11 Mustang GT / '95 Frankenpreza

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
    - Dr. Clarkson

Re: Goodbye Heartland Park, Hellooooo Road America!

SCCA Runoffs Moving to Road America in 2009

TOPEKA, Kan. (May 12, 200 – Sports Car Club of America, Inc. announced today the results of a vote by its Board of Directors that will move the National Championship Runoffs® to Road America (Elkhart Lake, Wis.) in 2009. Road America will become the sixth venue to host the event, dating back to 1964.

The Board directed its staff to move forward to negotiate a three-year agreement with Road America for SCCA Club Racing’s signature event, which has averaged over 650 participants since 2000. The Runoffs is currently in the final year of a three-year agreement at Heartland Park Topeka, in Topeka, Kan.

“Given the deep history the track, the town of Elkhart Lake and SCCA enjoy, it only seems natural for the most prestigious Club Racing event in the world to be hosted by Road America,” SCCA President & CEO Jim Julow said. “The Board had a difficult decision, as we had an unprecedented number of outstanding potential hosts for the event, meaning the long term future of Club Racing’s National Championship is very bright.”

“The SCCA has been an integral part of our 53 year-history,” Road America President and General Manager George Bruggenthies said. “The opportunity to showcase our facility and our community to a nation of SCCA racers and fans is a tremendous honor. On behalf of our board of directors and staff, my thanks to the SCCA for their confidence. We promise to build on the outstanding Runoffs tradition and exceed stakeholder expectations.”

The first-ever “Interdivisional Championship,” later referred to as the “Runoffs,” was held at Riverside Raceway (Riverside, Calif.) in 1964, and alternated coasts with Daytona International Raceway (Daytona Beach, Fla.) through 1969. In 1970, the event began a 24-year run at Road Atlanta (Braselton, Ga.), before moving to Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course (Lexington, Ohio) in 1994. After 12 years in Ohio, the Runoffs moved to Heartland Park Topeka in 2006. The move after three years signifies a change in philosophy after such long runs at venues from the 1970s through the turn of the century.

“Club Racing in the United States has evolved in the last decade, and rotating the Runoffs will do nothing but help the event and the Club Racing program, overall,” SCCA Chairman R.J. Gordy said.

“This is by no means a reflection on the job that Raymond Irwin and his staff have done at Heartland Park Topeka,” Julow added. “In the last four years, they have met every challenge and request and built a tremendous facility that is worthy of potentially hosting not only the Runoffs, but other high-profile road racing events in the future. Additionally, the local community and business groups have been outstanding and we thank them for their continued support.”

The event has grown in both size and stature over the years, with approximately 700 of the nation’s best amateur race drivers from across the country making the annual trek for the event that spans an entire week, preceded by additional days of optional testing. The sheer number of competitors makes the Runoffs the largest annual amateur road racing event in the world, and results in an average local economic impact approaching $10 million each year.

The Runoffs annually crown the National Champions of SCCA Club Racing’s National level classes (currently 25) and has been referred to as the “Olympics” of motorsports. Drivers from across North America race locally to earn points, with the top-10 qualifying drivers from the nine SCCA Divisions in each class earning an invitation to compete in the event. The list of past Runoffs Champions is a who’s who in road racing history that includes Skip Barber, Michael Galati, Paul Newman, Bobby Rahal, Graham Rahal, Greg Ray, Boris Said and Scott Sharp.

Road America’s history dates back to the early 1950s when public street races in the Elkhart Lake area were a part of the SCCA national championship series. When street racing became illegal in 1952, participants and supporters joined efforts and raised funds to develop Road America. The track held its first event, the SCCA National, on September 10-11, 1955. The inaugural June Sprints® was held the following year, June 23-24, 1956. Today, the 14-turn, 4.048-mile track holds its original configuration and continues to challenge the world’s best two- and four-wheel racers.

The date for the 2009 event has yet to be finalized, although it will move from October to September.

The 45th SCCA National Championship Runoffs will be held at Heartland Park Topeka October 6-12, 2008.

For more information about SCCA and the National Championship Runoffs, please visit www.scca.com/Runoffs.

For more information about Road America, please visit www.roadamerica.com.

For more information about Heartland Park Topeka, please visit www.hpt.com.
    '11 Mustang GT / '95 Frankenpreza

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
    - Dr. Clarkson

Comment

Originally posted by Paul
      http://www.cjonline.com/stories/0514...78779075.shtml

But Irwin said he gave away his track for free to the SCCA to host the Solo Nationals in 2006, 2007 and 2008.

"It wasn't doing anything for us," Irwin said.

A lesser known, but still important race, the Solo Nationals is hosted by the Kansas Region SCCA. The event moved to Topeka from Salina in 1995.

It had been held at Forbes Field's massive fields of asphalt, but was moved to Heartland Park in 2006, where it attracted about 275 drivers.

The Solo Nationals attract participants who are weekend drivers. They typically race their own stock vehicles, such as Mini Coopers and Mazda Miatas.

On the other hand, the SCCA National Runoffs are considered the pinnacle in amateur motorsports racing.
      First off, why the F*CK can't the SCCA just PAY for the rental of Hearland Park going forward? Lets do the math: $120 per entrant * 1200 entrants = $144,000 in revenue. Even if Hearland charges $5k a day in track rental, which is on the high side, that still leaves them with $94,000 to pay for the event plus make a profit.

On a side note, this writer is going to get a note from me. 275 drivers???? Try 1200 you punk and that doesn't include all the guests who attend as well. If the Runoff numbers are correct in this article, it sounds like Solo might actually have MORE people. Crazy huh...

And the comment about Miatas & Minis......
      Last edited by McCall; 05-19-2008, 10:51 AM.
      McCall

Comment

Update, they changed the number to 1200 in the article on-line. Silly Newspaper boy not getting his facts straight. Surprising huh...not!
        McCall

Comment

Why in the hell would you want to keep running at HPT? Oh yeah, you were driving an AWD Boost buggy! HPT sucks!! It is too small, too rude, too tractionless but fun paddock!!

It won't hurt my feeling to leave HPT. Rumors were abound during the Tour that they wanted to look at TMS as a potential site. Don't think it will happen because so many people were disappointed in the buslot.

todd

Comment

Originally posted by turbotoddie
            It won't hurt my feeling to leave HPT. Rumors were abound during the Tour that they wanted to look at TMS as a potential site. Don't think it will happen because so many people were disappointed in the bus lot.
            todd
            I've also heard rumors of a place in / near El Paso.

HPT could have been workable. Sure, it's small and it was slick, but the camaraderie is what makes the event anyway. The one thing that I could not deal with (actually 2) was the 'nickel & dimeing' for everything and the outright rudeness of the facility operators.

Comment

If TMS would let us run the Bus Lot and the old big area, that would be cool. A tight course and an open course like the good ole days.
              Brian Hanchey
              AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Originally posted by hancheyb
                If TMS would let us run the Bus Lot and the old big area, that would be cool. A tight course and an open course like the good ole days.
                Agreed. I love the TMS site and surface, and the location is perfect! But I do agree that the HPT type surface has changed the dynamic for many if not most classes over the concrete at Forbes. It really emphasizes traction happy cars like AWD, and ABS is a big help there as well.

I just hope they can keep the Solo Nationals centrally located and consistent... changing sites from year to year is a pain because you have to really build your set-up to work on the Nationals surface, which means testing there. They can move the Runoffs to the backside of the moon for all I care, and move it each year, but they need to lock down the Solo Nationals to a consistent location pretty quickly...

Not going to be Forbes, and HPT is out. The old Salina site is gone right? Kansas City got a site?? Those SCCA folks be lazy and I doubt they'd want to make it too far from home base.
                Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
                2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
                EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

Originally posted by Fair!
                  Agreed. I love the TMS site and surface, and the location is perfect! But I do agree that the HPT type surface has changed the dynamic for many if not most classes over the concrete at Forbes. It really emphasizes traction happy cars like AWD, and ABS is a big help there as well.
                  Now Fair, isn't that being a little contradictive. The buslot is as bad or worse than HPT, at least on slicks. I just want some place to use all of the FORCE!

turbo
                  Last edited by Fair!; 05-21-2008, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Now Fair, isn't that being a little contradictive. The buslot is as bad or worse than HPT, at least on slicks. I just want some place to use all of the FORCE!

turbo
                    Well.... TMS at least has less sand than HPT, but I agree its pretty slick. The convenience of having Nationals in our own back yard is a lot of it, I must admit.

If they could pry loose the old/massive TMS lots next to the speedway we could have some huuuge Nationals courses though. Even use the bus lot for one of them. Would be a good site, logistically... HPT's RV lot is very cramped compared to Forbes Field.
                    Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
                    2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
                    EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

Why in the hell would you want to keep running at HPT? Oh yeah, you were driving an AWD Boost buggy! HPT sucks!! It is too small, too rude, too tractionless but fun paddock!!

It won't hurt my feeling to leave HPT. Rumors were abound during the Tour that they wanted to look at TMS as a potential site. Don't think it will happen because so many people were disappointed in the buslot.

todd
                      I guess my reasoning about liking HPT is the location (not as good as TMS but that's a pipe dream ) plus the amenities of the track and Topeka in general. If we don't have HPT or Forbes, then where is Nationals going to be? I'm afraid that they will move it to an East Coast or West Coast location and then we are really fracked when it comes to getting there. I'd take the semi-slick surface of HPT (a side note, I bet it's even better this year) and not have to drive 15+ hours to get there.
                      McCall

Comment

First, I think the amenities are great also but I want to compete for a Natl Championship on a Natl Championship level surface. Forbes was not that even though the grip was great. HPT is a slap in the face. And, the TMS buslot is a slap in the face. As bad as HPT, it didn't suck that much more in the rain, imagine the buslot in the rain. I think you would see people come to a Natls there one time and not come back.

Anyways, I know SCCA is trying to keep it in the central US. The east coast doesn't have anything big enough to host it and they know folks will not drive from one coast to the other to compete. Hell, the Cali folks won't come to Kansas now. The big problem is not the site but finding a site with reasonable distance to enough hotels, a banquest facility and will let us take over for a week.

As for changing locations, the earth didn't stop spinning when it moved from Salina to Topeka, actually participation blew up! HPT has hurt it a little bit but not as much as the economy I expect. So, a fresh site always results in an increase the first year, it is the following times that are the question mark.

Personally, I don't mind being in Kansas, I just ask it be moved back on the calendar so we all can have some heat in our tires, not worry about running first heat or having to have a codriver.

Comment

The HPT track guy doesn't like solo at all.

He was charging KS region big $$$ to host solos (not nationals) last year and raised the price this year to nearly $5k per day... so KS region is no longer holding events at HPT....

It's sad, but I think the Lot L at Arrowhead in KC would easily host a couple smaller nationals courses, with paddock in other lots. That surface is very similar to HPT, but a bit more sticky and is a HUGE bowl... so has nice elevation one can play w/ on it.

It is sad about HPT, for those of us close, it was nice to do KS region events and get some seat time on the surface prior to nats... but no longer.

I hope nationals doesn't move too far away from the heartland.
                          Jon D. Simmons
                          1988 E30 M3 - STX #88
                          AST-USA | Bimmerworld | Butler's C&D | D-Force | Russ' Garage | Import Specialists

Comment

Working...
                          X