SCCA auto-x, Pennington, March 16, 2008

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCCA auto-x, Pennington, March 16, 2008

246 pictures from Heat #1 and #2 (none from heat #3): http://www.vorshlag.smugmug.com/gallery/4532988_3wMHu

161 entries, a crossover 3/4 of the way through the course, and a complete failure of the new ($3000 wireless) timers for over an hour at the start of the day brought the event to its knees, and many of us that corner worked in group 1 got sunburned after our 3+ hour work assignment standing out on course. When we walked out there it was overcast and 47°F, but it soon became sunny, and we baked. Ugh. Then there were the 40+ reruns in the first run group due to more timing problems. Didn't this club just buy new timers over the winter??

Left: Jason getting jiggy on course on his 2nd rerun. Right: Wild Man Jerry sideways in a Miata

Left: David Hedderick DNF'ing at finish. Right: Dang those 195s look skinny on the E30!

The finish was pretty hairy

And the course... man, I remember why I hate the Pennington site, as well as all courses with crossovers. A ~40 second course with only 1 car running 80% of the time and 161 entrants (about half of which were either "Street" or "Novice" classed) makes for a long day. Lucky for Amy and I we got to work #1 and run #2 so we could bail before group #3 started.

Results: http://www.autocross.com/tr/modules/...ndex.php?id=51 (please ignore XP)

My summary from the picture gallery entry:
    Amy raced the E30 in STS "W" and Terry raced the Alpha car in XP at the first SCCA event for 2008 at the small concrete lot at Pennington Field. Not our favorite site to race (probably our least favorite, but at least its "close") yet the weather was nice enough, and we had a big gap in our schedule until the next event we could run, so we took both cars out. The Alpha car started the day on corded front tires, which only got worse and made for awful course times. Then it ran out of gas on my 3rd and fastest run. This defines "FUBAR". Felt like I wasted the day; I should have just entered the E30 in STS. But man... These two cars couldn't be more different! The E30 ran on the new 195/50/15 Bridgestones for the first time and they just started to get scrubbed in by her 3rd and final run. Still have lots of testing and improvements to make to both cars. Step one: don't show up on corded race tires! Step 2: put fuel in the tank! Stupid, stupid, stupid...

Dang car wouldn't stop with cold brakes, which made for these hi-jinx at the finish

Right: Yep, still got a lot of work to do on the Alpha car...

Killin Cones!
    Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
    2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
    EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev
Working...
X