Possible STS car/ride for 2008?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible STS car/ride for 2008?

OK, this is extremely hypothetical at this point and probably not very attractive to anyone here. hehe

I finally got our 318is running. Runs pretty good. Let's face it. It is never going to be a show car so it looks like it will earn "beater" duty. But what else could it be used for? We've already been asked about suspension so we're putting coilovers on it from AST shortly. The seats are beat so it needs some cheap shells at some point. We've replaced many of the bad parts on it shifter bushings, guibo, LCA bushings, hoses, all fluids, etc. It has custom VoMo poly motor mounts. Yeah! Buzzzzzzzzzz.

So the question is, is anyone interested in campaigning it in STS next year? There's been a lot of chatter that it might do well. It is light, good power, handles well (with suspension). The car seems to be pretty solid. I got up to 75 mph today. Steering wheel was rock steady.

Let's say we got it 80% of the way, would anyone want to seriously campaign it? I'm not talking about driving it occasionally but try to win at Nationals in it. You buy wheels/tires, any mods beyond what we want to do with it. You can take your parts off when you're done. You'd have to be local to Dallas too. Just a random thought I had.

Here's some chatter on sccaforums about them.

http://sccaforums.com/forums/262566/ShowThread.aspx

DSP might even have a prayer with it, but that would require more prep. For STS, probably little to no power in it except a chip, no diff available for STS. BMW brakes are good. Just needs suspension, wheels and tires to start with?
    Last edited by hancheyb; 09-22-2007, 05:32 PM.
    Brian Hanchey
    AST Suspension - USA

Re: Possible STS car/ride for 2008?

DANGIT! Why couldn't I have gotten that M-F gig I put in for? This is just the kind of thing I would be looking for, but since I work on Sundays, there is absolutely no way. Someone please take this golden oppurtunity, and then offer me a co-drive on the once or twice a year I can actually make it to an event!

Comment

So we're going to have FOUR race cars now???

Uhhh....
      Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
      2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
      EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

Originally posted by Fair!
        So we're going to have FOUR race cars now???

Uhhh....
        WE have one right now last time I checked.
        Brian Hanchey
        AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Not sure if you wanted to go outside the group, but Richard 'Chard' Tomlin out of Houston would, might, could be, maybe interested. Not sure how his FP E30 is coming along right now.

Comment

Originally posted by hancheyb
            I got up to 75 mph today. Steering wheel was rock steady.
            Puss I had mine 'topped out' at an indicated 140 on the beltway. I swear I only lifted because I felt the cold touch of the grim reaper on my shoulder

Car was an absolute blast to drive... and to this day it is really the only car I've owned & sold that I miss*.

*- Okay, the 347 Mustang is missed as well... but for completely different reasons

Comment

I might be interested, depends on how the Solstice GXPs do in Topeka and I'll have to check my travel schedule. You probably want a good driver though.
              Adam
              It's not so much the heat as it is the humidity

Comment

Edit - Doet!
                Last edited by McCall; 10-01-2007, 12:16 PM.
                McCall

Comment

Originally posted by McCall
                  Was the motor swap legal for STS?
                  And why would you have to bring that up?
                  Brian Hanchey
                  AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Originally posted by McCall
                    Was the motor swap legal for STS?
                    I was wondering that too?
                    '11 Mustang GT / '95 Frankenpreza

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
                    - Dr. Clarkson

Comment

Originally posted by Paul
                      I was wondering that too?
                      Why you guys gotta be hatin'? Seriously, there's no marking or indication to show these motors are different. It is the same 1.8L, same hp, etc. Who would check this except you guys who would whisper it in someone's ear. That's never happened before tho has it?
                      Brian Hanchey
                      AST Suspension - USA

Comment

It's only posted on the forsums for all to see as well....
                        '05 STi
                        Obfuscation usually requires a lot more words than if you simply focus on fundamental principles, so I’m not at all surprised by the loquaciousness of liberals.

Comment

Originally posted by Oversteer
                          It's only posted on the forsums for all to see as well....
                          Ha, easily fixed.
                          Brian Hanchey
                          AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Originally posted by hancheyb
                            Ha, easily fixed.
                            I guess if someone where to take the plunge and spend all the time/effort to campaign that car it would suck for it to get popped at Nationals for not having the correct part number motor.

I'd never tell but I did check to make sure this was a private forum before I said anything.
                            McCall

Comment

ugh... you turbo guys and your legalness!

Just forget it. Not gonna happen.
                              Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
                              2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
                              EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

Working...
                              X