SCCA 8/5 at LaGrave - Anyone going?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SCCA 8/5 at LaGrave - Anyone going?

I had a set of Yoks shaved right before Nationals last year. I was referred to a guy, Josh Gilbert (josh130@hotmail.com, 817-658-5506), by Phil Osborne. He races stock cars and shaves tires for the roundy-round crowd.

The tire shaver (old) is at his house (Trophy Club), and I spent WAY too much time getting to know him and his roommates. Apparently, he had done several sets of STS Civic tires but no BMW tires. We eventually found an adapter that would work, but it wasn't completely square. I left around 2AM with tires that weren't perfectly true, but they weren't too bad. Given the circumstances (I was leaving for Topeka the next day.), I was quite happy that they got done. If he had a good adapter for my wheels, it probably would have been a half-way pleasant experience.

IIRC, something about the shape of the CCW's was a problem, so your mileage may vary. It's probably worth a call/email.

Brian

Comment

BTW, I'm not sure what a modern tire shaving machine looks like, but the one that Josh Gilbert has basically has a spindle on which you can mount a wheel and tire. Then, it works like a lathe with a spinning blade.

Brian

Comment

Also keep in mind that by the end of the day at La Grave a couple weeks ago, we were maybe hitting 84 degrees by the end of the day. It was around 97 in the area yesterday from what I saw. That's probably a big difference in heat as far as tires are concerned.
        -Sean Martin
        2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

Don't dismount yet. I've not seen many shavers that work WITHOUT the tire being on a wheel. Shipping 8 mounted wheels/tires is going to hurt. Might be better if we met in Waco one evening.

I'll have more info soon.

Costas

Comment

Hollis just told me he shaves his Bridgestones to 1/32" on the outside and 3/32" in the center. Uh....yeah, 10/32" might be an issue.
            Brian Hanchey
            AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Discount gets our tires shaved locally now. Not sure where but he only charged McCall $10 per tire. Might want to call Nick about this.
              '11 Mustang GT / '95 Frankenpreza

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
              - Dr. Clarkson

Comment

Originally posted by Paul
                Discount gets our tires shaved locally now. Not sure where but he only charged McCall $10 per tire. Might want to call Nick about this.
                Already did. He said they open at 10AM so I'll know shortly. BTW, he told me they get shaved where he buys them.
                Brian Hanchey
                AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Originally posted by Redwood
                  Also keep in mind that by the end of the day at La Grave a couple weeks ago, we were maybe hitting 84 degrees by the end of the day. It was around 97 in the area yesterday from what I saw. That's probably a big difference in heat as far as tires are concerned.
                  Yep... we saw ambient temps of 79-84°F 2 weeks ago when we were running in the morning. Yesterday we saw 105-108°F in the same car (M3 with temp sensor near ground level) during our runs. Big difference... one that is exacerbated by deep tread blocks on a heavy car.
                  Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
                  2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
                  EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

I'm still trying to learn the whole launch thing. I checked the data and I felt like my 2nd run I nailed the start. I did. The car peaked .98g longitudinal. The brakes are still s******. Lateral g's went from 1.2g on the first run peak to 1.08 on the last. Time to shave some tires!
                    Brian Hanchey
                    AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Fair picked up the tires from being shaved. The guy said, "wow, I bet whoever was driving on these tires was cussing. All 8 still had the release on them!"
                      Brian Hanchey
                      AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Working...
                      X