2007 Calendar updates; BMW Auto-x #1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2007 Calendar updates; BMW Auto-x #1

Just updated the March racing calendar - its already packed and I haven't added PCA or other DFW area solo events. Click on "Calendar" above to view events. I botched a date and added an entry for March 9th which shouldn't be there - need to figure out how to delete/edit.

Brian and I are running at Mineral Wells tomorrow (March 10), so come join us if you're ready to race. Our first event of the year. Weather forecast for Saturday is...
    • Mineral Wells, TX: Sunny, Low 50°F, High 79°F, 10% chance of precip, low wind and low humidity.

Sweet!
    Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
    2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
    EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Re: 2007 Calendar updates; BMW Auto-x #1

I would but I am missing a car to drive. =/
    '11 Mustang GT / '95 Frankenpreza

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
    - Dr. Clarkson

Comment

Yesterday was beautiful weather for the ~2 mile BMW road course "autocross" at Mineral Wells. 3rd gear was visited twice, and terminal speeds on the back straight were "oh sh!t!" Fast. Brakes were cooked, tires were shredded, cones were vaporized, and we saw some of the fastest spins ever at an "autocross".

I learned a valuable lesson - always torque all FOUR wheels, not just THREE. Oops. After swapping tires side to side between morning and afternoon heats, I missed torquing a wheel. Damn it, but I was distracted with customers! Not much damage, other than to my ego and one brand new wheel has some larger the normal stud holes. Hanchey got screwed outta his last two runs - Sorry man! He still beat me by .01 sec with 2 fewer runs.

I LOVE R COMPOUND TIRES! After 2.5 years on "ST" tires it was a refreshing SHOCK to feel how much grip fun real Rs can make. The cheap Kumho VictoRacers we bought worked WELL. Now we both want to get 710s and LS1 power into a BMW we race. We're running the Victos at BMW events only - still sticking with STU tires for SCCA events.

Also, towing to events is a lot less hassle than schlepping 250 miles round trip in a loud, very stiff M3 towing a tire trailer. Removed the "oh crap we're driving on the R compounds?!" Made the lunch trip into town less of a worry too.

Lastly, my 2 am Flowmaster "Series 50 delta flow" (3 chamber) 3" muffler is a nice improvement in sound over the MagnaFlow 3" that was on the car before (and on my 540 before that!). No more raspy, tinny, blatty exhaust sounds. American muffler on European car = Good stuff.
      Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
      2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
      EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

Was a fun (and FAST) course, thank goodness my foray into the gravel and resultant spin happened away from the edge of the site. Where the heck were all the people from this board who used to autocross??

edit: results - http://www.lscbmwcca.org/autox_resul...10-07)_sum.htm
        Last edited by C3; 03-12-2007, 08:49 AM.
        Teucci has a good point about trannies - Tommy

Comment

Originally posted by C3
          Was a fun (and FAST) course, thank goodness my foray into the gravel and resultant spin happened away from the edge of the site. Where the heck were all the people from this board who used to autocross??

edit: results - http://www.lscbmwcca.org/autox_resul...10-07)_sum.htm
          Crying in our milk that we don't have a car to drive. =/

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
          - Dr. Clarkson

Comment

Originally posted by C3
            14.5 hours away in Colorado

Comment

Originally posted by John in Houston
              14.5 hours away in Colorado
              Okay John gets a pass, but I think Paul is just trying to hide his winter mods from the local STU crowd
              Teucci has a good point about trannies - Tommy

Comment

Originally posted by C3
                Okay John gets a pass, but I think Paul is just trying to hide his winter mods from the local STU crowd
                If only that were true...

- Dr. Clarkson

Comment

Step 1: put a hole in the box
                  Step 2: rebuild the box
                  Step 3: rebuild the box
                  Step 4: rebuild the box
                  Brian Hanchey
                  AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Working...
                  X