X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Enclosed trailer tech

Originally posted by Fair!

Opinions: Gooseneck vs. 5th Wheel vs. TAG
    I thought a "Gooseneck" was a 5th wheel? Isn't Gooseneck a brand of 5th wheel?
    '11 Mustang GT / '95 Frankenpreza

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
    - Dr. Clarkson

Comment

Originally posted by Paul
      I thought a "Gooseneck" was a 5th wheel? Isn't Gooseneck a brand of 5th wheel?
      5th wheel is the thing that looks like a baby tractor-trailer config and Gooseneck is like the big trailer ball in the bed...
      Adam
      It's not so much the heat as it is the humidity

Comment

There are also gooseneck ball mounts that retract into the bed floor so that you can use your bed like a bed when necessary. Let me know when you get ready for an installation; we have a vendor that does very good, reasonable work and can custom fab things when necessary . . .
        Jason Newman,
        2005 Mustang GT
        1995 Mustang GT 5.0
        York Pump & Equipment, a DXP Company

Comment

Hey everybody, long time no see.

Having done it all wrong, as wrong as it can be done, I can only share what not to do:

1.Don't overlook the 26K lbs. limit. Don't even get close to it without doing the legal homework, spececially on IFTA which is often overlooked, because there is scale error.

2.IMO, having done it with previous-generation turbo 1-tons (pre-powerstroke Ford/IH and GM/Detroit 6L) those trucks were not fit for a 45' and two cars. We blew one up going to to Sonoma pulling up the West side of Albequerqe. We blew another up in the hills going to Watkins Glen. So, although we could have replaced them with a new 1-ton (like the powerstrokes that were fairly new at the time) we were gun-shy and bought a 2-ton. Techincally, this was a good decision. The CAT 230hp motor was more than enough, the gearbox was huge, and we never had to replace tires. It put us definitely over 26K.

3.Once we had the bigger tractor, we got to build a bigger trailer. In 48 x 8 x 12' we managed to do 4 sedans without a liftgate, using a simple ramp on a hinge lifted by a 12V winch. Since the only actual profit was in transport money, more cars was very important. Notable mistake made on this project was listening to BS from the aluminum salesman about doing a sheer-sided trailer with no exposed rivets. After all of the graphics had been installed (of course) we got into scary high winds on trip to Sebring and the seams between the sheets started to pucker and peel. All had to be scrapped, bought again, done with dome-head screws, and new stickers. We used it two seasons, eventually sold in to Downing in Atlanta.

4.So, having done it wrong, if I were to do a 2-car operation, I would most definitely not go that route again. This may sound odd...but I'd do two small rigs. We just bought a pretty fine (new) little 20 foot trailer with E-track (but no other options) for $5K in Dallas. Tractor Supply sold us a gem of a 4KW generator with 12DC/120/240AC output for $299. Tag-along is easy! This pulls behind anything...gas, diesel, whatever. I would also use free-standing awnings (yes, EZ-ups) or a relatively inxpensive cantilevered awning that rolls out of a box you install on the top corner of the trailer. No frames. No side curtains. Been there, done that, have the back spasms and the T-shirt.

It is so much easier to slip across the country in a pair of 3/4 ton trucks each pulling an 18-20'...you only have to use one when you only have one car to go...no CDL...no IFTA...no weigh stations...you can get to the front and back of each car as you load...TALK TO YOUR ACCOUNTANT - his advice means more than anyone's!

Just a different perspective.

B

Comment

Whoa whoa WHOA! BEN FISHER LIVES!!!!!

Call me at the shop when you get a chance, pretty please. We need some work done that you might want to tackle. Also want to figure out where you are and what you are doing!

214-227-8670. I'm here every day 7:30 am - 6 pm CST... or much much later.

edit: that post has me doing donuts on our trailer ideas, too. Thoughts of two car trailering were whippin me...
            Last edited by Fair!; 06-03-2008, 07:35 AM.
            Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
            2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
            EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

Well, we do have a gas truck and an open trailer, so adding a diesel and an enclosed isn't too far fetched. We can get both cars there.

Brian
              Brian Hanchey
              AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Fair -

Yeah, I'll call you when I get a chance - really busy w/ the *totally non-motorsports* business we're in. So, no, I'm sure I'm not doing anything that would help you guys at all. I'm just a spectator. And, yes, at one point I was on heavy tranquilizers, hence no more working in motorsports... better now.

If you guys already have a gas/open rig, I'd keep it, and talk to the accountant about the best way to add a Diesel 1 ton/20-28 ft. enclosed. I agree about the Cummins.

I'd bargain the stocking trailer dealers to an inch of their lives -because sales are slow for a lot of them right now. We used a place call R&J Trailer in Seagoville, Tx. "John Jr." (Yes, there's a John Sr., John III, and little Johnny there too) was pleasant to work with, and honest. There also seems to be a hive of trailer dealers in Waco.

That should leave you plenty of forward area in the enclosed trailer for tools/equip and I'd get the truck with a topper to keep the less-expensive overflow stuff in.

We pulled our similar rig to Tucson and Atlanta already, I'm totally happy with it, although it is gas 3/4 ton, so we're right at 11 mpg.

-------

BTW, got a call from Gary Hood - he's at JBA? Weird.

Comment

Working...
                X