Home Built Supercars!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Built Supercars!

Ever day dreamed about building your own supercar? There are some neat looking options:

Ultima GTR. Exterior is "HAWT". 2200 pounds, set-up for SBC and G50 transaxle, Tubular steel space frame w/alum chassis panels, mid engine/RWD, FRP body. Based on a design by the same guy that now runs Noble Cars in the UK. About $43K USD for the "kit" + more parts, drivetrain, and "300 hours to assemble".

Interior looks like a $200 bass fishing boat. Fit and finish is very iffy. 20 year old design that has been updated but never sent to "finishing school". Very unflattering interior if you see more detailed pics... and rough around all edges.

This one looks a lot more polished and modern:

Factory Five GTM is a $20K kit that uses a C5 Corvette donor for much of the drivetrain, suspension, brakes, computer, mirrors, etc. Another one using the Porsche G50 transaxle, tubular steel space frame w/alum chassis panels, mid engine/RWD, FRP body. 2250 pounds soaking wet, very low, very sexy.

Factory Five has sold an unprecedented 6000 kit in the past 15 years (mostly Cobras) whereas Ultima Cars has sold about 400 kits in 20 years. The FFR GTM looks a lot more polished for only having been out for 2 years, as well.

Not looking to buy one for myself, ha! Just day dreaming/bench racing. Anyone know somebody in Texas with one of these? I'd sure like to see each in person to satisfy my morbid curiosity.
    Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
    2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
    EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Re: Home Built Supercars!

Dave Borden has a thread on Corner Carvers which follows his build-up of a Factory 5 GTM. Pretty impressive to say the least.

Comment

GTM is the clear leader on fit-and-finish.

http://gtmbuild.com/ - good build diaries and pictures.

Comment

when an LSx isnt enough:

02 Golf TDI 306,000 miles

Comment

I was close to doing a GTM. Did tons of research, talked to Borden several times, chatted with the guys at SEMA extensively, etc etc. I even bought Benton's wrecked 99 FRC. But Scratcher has been much more fun. I realize they are two very different hits on the go-fast crack pipe, but I'm happy with my choice. However, if you are considering building one, the GTM is the way to go. Borden will be in (with his car) the ffr booth at sema this year.

Costas

Comment

Originally posted by Shortcutsleeping
            I was close to doing a GTM. Did tons of research, talked to Borden several times, chatted with the guys at SEMA extensively, etc etc. I even bought Benton's wrecked 99 FRC. But Scratcher has been much more fun. I realize they are two very different hits on the go-fast crack pipe, but I'm happy with my choice. However, if you are considering building one, the GTM is the way to go. Borden will be in (with his car) the ffr booth at sema this year.

Costas
            Yea, it does look to be the best kit-based supercar set-up. The only thing that really bugs me are... well, four things:
            1. The 930 transaxle. Its expensive and somewhat fragile. But nothing else can do the job with that layout
            2. The front overhang is excessive on this bodystyle. Looks funky. That is what was so appealing about the Ultima - the overhangs were very tight. It looked more purpose built.
            3. The width is overly exaggerated. Look at the back end there...
            4. The interior is pretty much a kludge (the pictures you see posted a lot are very customized)

Last edited by Fair!; 09-07-2007, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fair!
              1 - The 930 transaxle. Its expensive and somewhat fragile. But nothing else can do the job with that layout
              2 - The front overhang is excessive on this bodystyle. Looks funky. That is what was so appealing about the Ultima - the overhangs were very tight. It looked more purpose built.
              3 - The width is overly exaggerated.
              4 - The interior is pretty much a kludge
              1. You could go Hewland, but it makes the 930 seem cheap. <shrug>

2. Agreed totally. I have seen pics of one with a nice rear wing (think Scratcher style) and it REALLY balanced the car out visually. The rear, to me, looks very unfinished with no lip spoiler or rear wing (wing preferred) and when you hang that wing on the back it visually makes the front look not-so-bad. I'm not sure if I'm explaining this right, but hopefully you get it.

3. Yup

4. I'm anxious to see Borden's at SEMA. Will post some pics at the end of next month!

Any other car is so much of a huge step down from this one (assuming you want to really drive it on the street) that the GTM is (to me) the hands-down winner of the current offerings.

Costas

Comment

What is actual out the door street costs of a completed GTM ??

$20k - kit
                $3500 - 930 transaxle
                $8k - wrecked C5

Is there more ?
                Toth: "I would sue Duck, but I don't know what I would do with 3 pennies and a hoopty GTO."
                Me: "I never finish anyth..."

Comment

Originally posted by Dean!

$20k - kit
                  $3500 - 930 transaxle
                  $8k - wrecked C5

Is there more ?
                  Yea, there is always a lot more with kit cars. FFR has pretty complete kits but I've seen figures of $40-50K for completed GTMs, and that sounds about right.

The other thing with the GTM - the roofline is excessively low? Visibility looks poor. But most full bodied kit cars are pretty bad (GT40, etc).

I know what you mean about the right kind of rear wing making the GTM look right, Paul. I've probably seen the same black GTM that had a contoured CF wing and it made all of the massive front onverhang and "unfinished" rear bodywork look "right".

The thought of a super lightweight, tube framed, full bodied, rear/mid-engined LS1 car just makes me crazy...

Comment

Originally posted by Dean!

$20k - kit
                    $3500 - 930 transaxle
                    $8k - wrecked C5

Is there more ?
                    20K Kit
                    1200 A/C
                    10K Paint
                    3000 - 4500 Tires and Wheels
                    7000 C5 Donor Parts(after selling off stuff, 11K for a pallet of parts)
                    3500 G50-20 Transaxle
                    1700 Kooks SS long tubes and exhaust
                    500 powder coating
                    400 stereo/speakers
                    200 second skin sound dampner
                    3000 misc

source: http://www.corner-carvers.com/forums...&postcount=282
                    Teucci has a good point about trannies - Tommy

Comment

$50k for that kind of performance and hotness seems like a pretty good deal even taking into account the 1-2 years it would take to build it.

This may be a silly question, but are you able to simply rotate the intake on the LSx motors 180deg to get the MAF facing the rear of the motor?
                      -

(pic from Dave's GTM build)
                      Last edited by Oversteer; 09-10-2007, 10:59 AM.
                      '05 STi
                      Obfuscation usually requires a lot more words than if you simply focus on fundamental principles, so I’m not at all surprised by the loquaciousness of liberals.

Comment

Originally posted by Oversteer
                        $50k for that kind of performance and hotness seems like a pretty good deal even taking into account the 1-2 years it would take to build it.
                        True, true...

Originally posted by Oversteer
                        This may be a silly question, but are you able to simply rotate the intake on the LSx motors 180deg to get the MAF facing the rear of the motor?
                        Yes, the intake is symmetrical front to back. I'm trying to think if anything else has to be moved around... I don't think so.

Comment

http://picasaweb.google.com/KillerBl...72417523754610

GTM with wing. OH YES!

More here: http://picasaweb.google.com/KillerBl...tMidOhioFriday

Costas

Comment

Wow, that really makes a big improvement...

Comment

Working...
                            X