X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

19" R compound tires = "not on the RADAR"

Originally posted by hancheyb
    From Mark...

I hate to be blunt, but tell him not to bother. The SEB specifically addressed this with 19" last year. In fact they've probably addressed it every year ever since 16" came out. Stock vehicles must run the same width AND diameter wheels as supplied by the factory. The SEB will not allow an alternate diameter wheel in Stock, period. It's the responsibilty of the tire manufacturers to meet the market demands. As long as they meet the minimum number of sizes and diameters required by the rules it's out of our hands.

Mark
    aw, crap!

Great! We'll soon have a $45,300 brand new Corvette that will be only good for driivng back and forth to work in... yea.
    Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
    2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
    EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

I know for a fact someone that is driving a new Viper Nationally in SS so there's got to be something going on...
      Any idea who this is and what they did to get around this rule???? :evil:

Comment

Originally posted by Fair!
        aw, crap!

Great! We'll soon have a $45,300 brand new Corvette that will be only good for driivng back and forth to work in... yea.
        17x11's and 18x11's with 315/35's all around..........in ASP.
        The good side? I bet it's competitive there with just good dampers and maybe more spring.

Tommy
        2001 Jeep Wrangler
        2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins

BMW E36 DIY's:
        Front LCA Bushing Swap
        E36 Custom Cat Back
        M3 Limited Slip Diff Repair
        Diff Swap

Comment

Oh... And Mr. McCall. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Tommy
          2001 Jeep Wrangler
          2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins

BMW E36 DIY's:
          Front LCA Bushing Swap
          E36 Custom Cat Back
          Diff Swap

Comment

post this in the Stock section of sccaforums.com. DO NOT cross post it. I don't want a bunch of morons on the TAMSCC network. See if anyone knows of Vipers running next year.
            Brian Hanchey
            AST Suspension - USA

Comment

From Mark...

I hate to be blunt, but tell him not to bother. The SEB specifically addressed this with 19" last year. In fact they've probably addressed it every year ever since 16" came out. Stock vehicles must run the same width AND diameter wheels as supplied by the factory. The SEB will not allow an alternate diameter wheel in Stock, period. It's the responsibilty of the tire manufacturers to meet the market demands. As long as they meet the minimum number of sizes and diameters required by the rules it's out of our hands.

Mark
              BTW, nice letter Fair.

I would reply this way to the SEB:

I do agree that in the past that market demand would provide the nessassary pressure to create race compound tires. It made sense seeing the added performance benefits of the larger diameters. In today's day and age of tire diamater "bling", there has to be a point where sensibilities and overall competitiveness of tire diameters has to be considered. What happens when tire manfactures look at the market and DON'T see a demand? There's a point when the SEB needs to address this not keep brushing is aside.
              McCall

Comment

I'm just curious - if you're this serious about having a nationally competitive autocrosser, Fair, why don't you just eat the deposit on the C6 and buy Justin's low mile, nationally competitive Z06 for $15k less than a 'SSM Killa' C6? Tell Amy that you like the way she looks in red
                Teucci has a good point about trannies - Tommy

Comment

Kumho's too busy developing F1 race tires to bother with 19's

http://f1.racing-live.com/en/index.h...22085103.shtml

(stolen from TAMSCC forum...)

Comment

Just went to Khumo's US site and posted this:

My name is Terry Fair and I am an autocrosser from Plano, Texas. I have a 2005 Corvette Z51 on order that will be used for SCCA Solo2 Autocrossing. I would like to inquire about 19" tire sizes for your ECSTA V710 DOT Race tire model.

All 2005+ Corvettes have 18" front and 19" diameter rear wheels (18x8.5 and 19x10). No one that builds DOT legal R compound tires currently makes a 19" fitment, that I can find. A representative from Hoosier Tire Company told me they have no intention of building a 19" in the foreseeable future and I was curious about your company’s goals for these diameters.

There are numerous new sports car models using 19" wheels, including:

2004+ Dodge Viper, 19x13 rear wheel
                    2005 Corvette, 19x10 rear wheel.
                    2006 Ford GT(40)
                    Porsche models
                    Ferrari Models

If you have any intentions of building competition tires in 19" diameters, please le me know at the e-mail address below. The SCCA has brushed off all pleas for an exception to the Stock Category rule that states that all cars must race on the factory sized rims, sharing the exact diameter and width, and offset within 1/4". I do not have any competition tire options to race with on this car.

Thank you,
                    Terry Fair
                    fair@pobox.com

Comment

You should add the E46 M3 to your list.

Tommy
                      2001 Jeep Wrangler
                      2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins

BMW E36 DIY's:
                      Front LCA Bushing Swap
                      E36 Custom Cat Back
                      Diff Swap

Comment

Called Tire Rack... they sell Hoosier and other R compounds. "We have nothing for the rear... and have heard of nothing in compeitiotn sizes."

They have 3 different 285/35-19 options:

Pirelli PZero System Asimmetrico = $315
                        Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar EMT = $417
                        Continental ContiSportContact 2 = $298

Goodyear is making a 19!!! This means... maybe a "S" model from them???

Just sent them my "form letter" as well...

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy R

Tommy
                          Those are optional wheels, over the base 18" rubber (that all racers would logically choose). Pure pimpness. But I have added it to my form letter.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy R

Tommy
                            Those are optional wheels, over the base 18" rubber (that all racers would logically choose). Pure pimpness. But I have added it to my form letter.
                            Agreed, but it nonetheless adds impact to your list. It's available with 19's and that's what counts.

Tommy
                            2001 Jeep Wrangler
                            2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins

BMW E36 DIY's:
                            Front LCA Bushing Swap
                            E36 Custom Cat Back
                            Diff Swap

Comment

Re: 19" R compound tires = "not on the RADAR"

Just spoke with Bruce Foss of Hoosier and got the bad news about availability of 19" R compound tires:

"Its not even on the RADAR".

Apparently the tooling to build 19" tires is prohibitively expensive, and even previous calls from Ford (the GT40 has 19's) and Dodge (the Viper Compeititon Coupe was originaly going to use 19" race tires) cannot get Hoosier to invest in 19" tire designs. Nor Khumo, Hancook, Goodyear, or anyone else that makes DOT race compound tires.
                              Maybe this is a stupid question, and someone knows the answer: what could be sooo different between the tooling for a 19" R compound and 19" street tire that a manufacturer already makes?! It seems kind of dumb for a tire manufacturer to buy tooling (and take it in the @$$) that can ONLY be used to make "street" tires, and is not adaptable to anything else. Maybe that's just me being fairly ignorant of the tire-making world, and using a little common sense....
                              Chris

Comment

Re: 19" R compound tires = "not on the RADAR"

Originally posted by beavis
                                Maybe this is a stupid question, and someone knows the answer: what could be sooo different between the tooling for a 19" R compound and 19" street tire that a manufacturer already makes?! It seems kind of dumb for a tire manufacturer to buy tooling (and take it in the @$$) that can ONLY be used to make "street" tires, and is not adaptable to anything else. Maybe that's just me being fairly ignorant of the tire-making world, and using a little common sense....
                                There isn't much difference,you are right, but the Tire Companies that make and sell R compound DOT tires are few and far between:

Looking on TireRack I see that....

Hoosier (they make no 19" tires)
                                Khumo (they make no 19" tires)
                                Toyo (they make no 19" tires)
                                Yokohama (they make no 19" tires)
                                Avon (they make no 19" tires)

Goodyear makes some 19's, but I don't see any competition tiresfrom them listed anymore. Its been some years since they made any GS-CS competition tires. I sent them a letter anyway.

Schnikeys! I found it!!!!!

Pirelli PZero Corsa is avilable in 285-35-19 and has a 60 treadwear! Its a bargain at $339 each. : :!:

Woohoo! We can now race Amy's car on the stock wheels using some expensive, uncompetitive, Italian R compounds!

Of the many 18" sizes, they do not have the factory 245/40/18 front... but they do offer these many sizes in 18" that will work, including 255-35-18 and 265-35-18.

AWESOME. Not my first choice (or even in the top 5) but it beats using street tires. Now... we need to find some pimpy street wheels to buy so we can use the stockies for racing...

Comment

Working...
                                X