Question regarding "wing" rule for STU

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question regarding "wing" rule for STU

I was looking at the 2007 rules after reading an email from Doug Gill. Below is the current rule. I have bolded the line in question.

14.2. BODYWORK
    F. Addition of spoilers, splitters, body kits, rear wings and nonfunctional
    scoops/vents is allowed. The intent of this allowance
    is to accommodate commonly available appearance kits, and
    replicas thereof, which have no significant aerodynamic function
    at Solo speeds. Body kits are limited to bumper covers, valances,
    side skirts, and fender flares. Standard parts may not be
    removed except for the substitution of spoilers, rear wings,
    bumper covers and valances. Rear wings must attach only aft of
    the rear wheel centerline. Total surface area of all spoilers, splitters
    and rear wing may not exceed
    5 square feet as seen from
    above (see 12.9). Substitution of rear spoilers or wings must
    retain any original third brake light functionality unless otherwise
    equipped. No underbody panels may be added or substituted.
    The drilling of holes for the purpose of mounting these pieces is
    permitted.

Email from Doug Gill:

Hi, Jake,
    I’m not the SEB, but I should be able to answer your concern. It’s the second one. The idea was if the car had a 3rd brake light from the manufacturer (cars 1986 and up), the spoiler allowance didn’t give you the allowance to loose the 3rd brake light. However, I can see where there may be some confusion.

“Substitution of rear spoilers or wings must retain any original third brake light functionality unless otherwise equipped.”

The key is “functionality,” not the light itself. If you substitute the rear spoiler/wing, there still needs to be a 3rd brake light function. The function doesn’t have to be in/on the rear spoiler/wing. It was worded this way instead of “Substitution of rear spoilers or wings must retain any 3rd brake light” to allow installation of rear spoilers/sings without 3rd brake lights. But you’ve got to have a 3rd brake light (just not on the substituted rear spoiler/wing).

Hope this helps.

- Doug

Doug Gill

SCCA Solo Technical Manager

1-800-770-2055

SCCA National Solo Rules

FasTrack - To register for an automated e-mail notification each month when the latest issue of FasTrack has been posted to the web, simply edit your Member Profile by going to SCCA.com and click on the “SCCA Member Login” button at the top of the page.

So the way I read both the rule and Doug's email I should be able to add the third brake light from a WRX in the rear window and then substitute a wing that does not contain a third brake light and that would be legal.

Comments please.

'11 Mustang GT / '95 Frankenpreza

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
    - Dr. Clarkson

Re: Question regarding "wing" rule for STU

I'm no expert, but that's how I read it. I did get an A in my business law class at least.
    -Sean Martin
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

I think "unless otherwise equipped" was intended to allow just that, but I wasn't able to find any relevant past discussions on the STAC forum.

Anyway, it's a horrible excuse for a sentence, and I agree that it's unclear. Please write to seb@scca.com, and specifically request an SEB clarification. We (the STAC) ought to be able to come up with something better.

Brian

Comment

Don't get hung up on badges, trim and brake lights... this ain't STOCK class, by damn.

Do the rear wing/spoiler you want. Or none at all. If someone protests you, and they actually win (.001% chance) then I will help you deliver the 2000 pounds of horse dung to their front doorstep. WEENIE PROTEST.

The Subaru wing is SO farging ugly it needs to GO BYE-BYE. The best fix = swap trunks with a WRK owner (the Dean Mod). Second best, rip that big ugly contraption off and put on some low profile wing that covers up the factory holes. Or put some tape over the holes... it would still look better.

Another example: I am ordering fog light delete panels (OEM) and removing the foglights from my STU M3. We have broken 3 of them and I'm tired of replacing. New front end/body kits are allowed so I will use that big allowance to remove 1 pound worth of broken glass/worthless lights and cover the holes. If I get protested, they should prepare for the DUNG DELIVERY.
        Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
        2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
        EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

Originally posted by Fair!
          Don't get hung up on badges, trim and brake lights... this ain't STOCK class, by damn.

Do the rear wing/spoiler you want. Or none at all. If someone protests you, and they actually win (.001% chance) then I will help you deliver the 2000 pounds of horse dung to their front doorstep. WEENIE PROTEST.

The Subaru wing is SO farging ugly it needs to GO BYE-BYE. The best fix = swap trunks with a WRK owner (the Dean Mod). Second best, rip that big ugly contraption off and put on some low profile wing that covers up the factory holes. Or put some tape over the holes... it would still look better.

Another example: I am ordering fog light delete panels (OEM) and removing the foglights from my STU M3. We have broken 3 of them and I'm tired of replacing. New front end/body kits are allowed so I will use that big allowance to remove 1 pound worth of broken glass/worthless lights and cover the holes. If I get protested, they should prepare for the DUNG DELIVERY.
          WOOT!!! BigT's got my back!
          '11 Mustang GT / '95 Frankenpreza

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
          - Dr. Clarkson

Comment

Working...
          X