X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MAF sensor rule question

This is a repost from the nasioc forums:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=977131

a subject very near and dear to me heart there really is no need for a clarification

This all came up prior to the new intake wording that went into effect this year. It all boils down to the factory parts system. If it's just a bolt-in sensor that's the part you have to re-use. If the factory replacement part includes an integral housing that's the part you have to use, in it's entirety.

The discussion regarding some vehicles being forced to maintain a restriction in their intake essentially fell on deaf ears. The ST rules still fall back on the Stock rule set. You're not allowed to modify an OE part unless the rule specifically states that you can.

Since BMW considers the housing to be part of the MAF it has to be re-used just as supplied new by the dealer. To do any different will require a rule change, something that most of the decision-makers were not willing to consider at the time. If you want to write a letter to the SEB/STAC, asking for that rule change is the likely subject. I'm not sure that the general feeling has changed since the last time though.

That's part of the reason I dumped the BMW E30 M3 STX project, it has the old flapper MAF that is even more restrictive than the newer ones ... and nobody heeded my advice to write in about it all last year. Silence is an answer too ...

Mark Sipe

Isn't Mark on the STAC?
    '11 Mustang GT / '95 Frankenpreza

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
    - Dr. Clarkson

Comment

IF you guys are really going to protest... get the facts down on paper and presentable NOW!!! Impound will rush the hell out of you just to try and not get you to initiate a protest. If you have it already written up, then you would be in much better shape.

Oh yeah... and I agree... $50 on this protest would be money well spent.

Comment

Originally posted by John in Houston
        IF you guys are really going to protest... get the facts down on paper and presentable NOW!!! Impound will rush the hell out of you just to try and not get you to initiate a protest. If you have it already written up, then you would be in much better shape.

Oh yeah... and I agree... $50 on this protest would be money well spent.
        Emissions or
        engine management components in the air intake system, such
        as a PCV valve, or mass airflow sensor, may not be removed,
        modified, or replaced,

What is there to right down? Can I not just say "per rule 14.10" that is not a factory engine management component I.E. the MAF housing?" The "such as" just offers suggestions. The protest is probably keyed around "engine management components in the air intake". I promise you that Subaru the manufacturer (NOT Subaru of Dallas) would NOT approve of a different housing working with their sensor and sensor housing. Proving the parts are different is not enough IMO.
        Last edited by hancheyb; 04-06-2006, 12:20 PM.
        Brian Hanchey
        AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Dude... have it pre-written... then you can just hand it to them.... or stand around in Arkansass looking for a pen / paper / place to write without wind.

When they were going to protest Teucci at Atwater they had it all done and ready to go.... then they PUSSED OUT!

Comment

Sipe is on crack - he wants to modify his air filter housing on his RX8, which just so happens to be integral to the MAF housing on an RX8.

Per someone on the SEB, "That is the most tortured intepretation of a rule I have ever heard of."

No way will it fly to change the housing on certain cars because they have a "conjoined part number" or it be OK to change the housing becuase it's "not the sensor".

We'll protest this soon, at a big event, to get it cleared up. It's either OK to change the MAF sensor and housing for everyone or it's not. I'd rather have it be LEGAL, by the way, but the twisted bit where an RX8 and STi can change MAF housings but the M3 cannot is total horsesh!t.
            Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
            2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
            EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

Working...
            X