STU Rules/Cars Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STU Rules/Cars Discussion

http://www.scca.org/_filelibrary/File/2005SoloRules.pdf - Print pages 85-95 of this PDF.

http://www.scca.com/_FileLibrary/Fil...talclasses.pdf - this is the STS2 and STU supplement

Here's what I can see for STU:

1. All Stock category allowances, which includes front bar, shocks, after-cat exhaust, ss brake flex lines, factory camber bolts.

2. Body kits, dress up parts, frou frou unlimited. Some trim and spoilers can be omitted or changed.

3. Tires: Max. 275mm, 140 tread-wear min, wheels unlimited. AWD cars limited to 245mm.

4. Fenders may be rolled but not cut, so you have to be able to stuff that max. tire.

5. Driver/pass. seats can be racing style, 15 pounds (not including mounting hardware).

6. Any shocks/struts, even with "alternate mounting brackets".

7. Brakes: air ducts allowed, as are slotted/drilled. STX/STU: Brake backing plates can be modified. Drums can be replaced with discs. Calipers are free (must attach to original points), as are the discs of ferrous or aluminum construction (2-piece lightweight rotors) of the same size or larger than the stock equipment.

8. Open anti-sway bars, springs, perches, bump stops, camber plates, 2-point strut bars (f and r) and coil-overs.

9. Bushings are free (except metal) including offset.

10. Open panhard bars, torque arms or traction bars - can be added.

11. "Camber Kits" may be installed. These include longer/adj. length control arms??? Wow! Camber. Only upper or lower arms can be replaced, not both.

12. Relocated and smaller batteries can be used.

13. Traction control systems can be "electrically disabled", but not removed or altered. (doh! sucks to be hanchey)

14. Throttle body forward air intake is free. On turbos, it's compressor inlet forward.

15. Open exhaust headers/manifolds, as long as they are "emissions legal".

16. Engine management may be altered except for boost levels. Must meet 49-state tailpipe emission test.

17. Open shifter, linkages, pulleys, crank damper.

18. For STU cars that are RWD, any aftermarket LSD may be fitted.

19. High flow cats may be used but the inlet must be "within 6" of the factory location". Number of cats can be changed.

Sample of Eligible STU cars:
    Audi S4, E36 M3, Camaro/Firebird, GTO, Mustang, RX-8, Lancer Evo, WRX STi, Volvo S60 R, Toyota Supra.

"Sample" Excluded STU cars:
    E46 M3, E39 M5

One thing to note: STX allows up to 5.1L N.A., so a new Mustang GT would be eligible... but the weight is the killer.
    Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
    2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
    EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Re: STU Rules/Cars Discussion

The biggest 'suck' is lack of UD/BD rules. That really screwed the class in my opinion.

Other than that it is CURRENTLY a pretty fun class.

Opening it up to the boost rules would probably make alot of cars in this class obsolete.... although I'm willing to give them a try

Comment

There is no mention of opening up boost in the ST rules. Just because they do it in SP doesn't make it so in ST. I think ST will be safe from that potential bag of worms (just keeping their present bag of worms).
      '11 Mustang GT / '95 Frankenpreza

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
      - Dr. Clarkson

Comment

yea, update/backdate would have really helped some cars a lot, esp. the older ones...

I was reading on sccaforums.com about the potential for more STU classes, such as STX2 or STU2... for the bigger/higher powered cars like Corvette, etc.

Andy Hollis says (paraphrasing): "not until 1/2007, at the earliest, and that's only if STU hits 25 at Nats".

STU2 would let me fix a lot that's wrong with the C6... wider wheels in 17-18" instead of silly 19", and cold air + header-back exhaust is all I wanna do in ASP anyways. Drat.

Comment

Yeah... but getting 25 drivers at Nationals is not going to be easy. How many were there last year? 8? And they ran them with BSP and combined their times with BSP in the results. Talk about suck!

ST* could be huge if they got a move on. Start with SP classes and make BST, AST, CST, DST and go from there. I'd like to see SMT :mrgreen:

Comment

Agree on all! I even suggested SMT on the sccaforums the other day - apparently, this is an old suggesiton.

Comment

Working...
            X