Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the benefits of lowering unsprung weight?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the benefits of lowering unsprung weight?

So I got a really good deal on some 17x11 CCW's (polished lip, black centers) with Kumho V710's already mounted with a lot of tread (date code is 1.5 years old, but it passes my fingernail test)

On my repro 17x11 Grandsport/ZR1 REPLICAS, with the same tire (315/35 V710) - it weighs 55.5 lbs!

The 17x11 CCW with the same tire weighs = 48.0 lbs. So that's about 7.5lbs per wheel.

Okay..so what does that mean ?
    Toth: "I would sue Duck, but I don't know what I would do with 3 pennies and a hoopty GTO."
    Me: "I never finish anyth..."

Re: What are the benefits of lowering unsprung weight?

Less work for the engine, brakes, and shocks will allow the car to react faster to inputs. Removing 30lbs from the wheels is quite a bit - I say go for it.
    Teucci has a good point about trannies - Tommy

Comment

It also means there is less weight for the springs and dampers to control meaning softing suspension control can be used.
      2001 Jeep Wrangler
      2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins

BMW E36 DIY's:
      Front LCA Bushing Swap
      E36 Custom Cat Back
      M3 Limited Slip Diff Repair
      Diff Swap

Comment

Also...unsprung rotational weight of a wheel is even worse than just regular unsprung weight (the steering knuckle for example) for engine (increase in rotational speed) and braking performance (slowing of rotational speed) aside from handling action.

Doesn't more sprung weight mean MORE for the spring and dampers to control sicne it's sitting on them and not the ground? Fast-hit event control over bumps and potholes are more affected by unsprung weight though when the wheel leaves the previous travelling plane in an instant, no? but the rest of it...the car body is rolling and pitching on the springs and shocks.
        "When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." - Benjamin Franklin
        http://www.duckfest.net

Comment

Or is it answer....

D) All of the above!

Dropping 7 pounds per corner = good stuff
          Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
          2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
          EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

Working...
          X