Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EVO: IX vs MR vs RS?

Road & Track – ’06 Evo IX MR vs. ’06 Impreza WRX STI

“Air to mission control, bogies has been spotted, weapons are hot, awaiting confirmation to engage!” The experience of piloting one of these tarmac-tearing dirt-lovin g predators down a favorable road can often lead one’s imagination astray. You suddenly feel like an advocate of rude awakenings, with a mission to complete every time you strap into the driver’s seat. That mission: to seek and humiliate expensive sports cars that up to this point thought they owned the roads.

Throwing these two contenders into a ring together is like throwing the Incredible Hulk in with Juggernaut, and then telling them to have at it for a couple of rounds. Not only are they well-matched opponents, but each could also be arguably superior to the other in some way, shape, or function. The Evo IX flexes a MIVEC-equipped (Mitsubishi Innovative Valve timing and Electronic Control) turbocharged 2.0-liter inline-4 now boating 286bhp and 289lb-ft. of torque. The power improvement comes from a revision of the turbo’s compressor housing and a more aggressive muffler, and the power delivery is kept somewhat more linear through variable intake valve timing/phasing.

The 2.0-liter still feels rather anemic at the low end until muscularity sets in at 3500rpm, turning it into a rip-roaring torque-happy beast. We never seem to tire of that feeling that comes from 20psi of oxygen-rich thrust, but must admit that for many, it tends to get bothersome in around-town stop-and-go traffic. The STI, on the other hand, does not disappoint in that area. Power from the Subaru’s larger 2.5-liter turbocharged flat-4 comes in early and seems to stay fairly linear where the Evo’s power kicks in abruptly. There have been no power changes to the STI’s aluminum powerplant, which still boats and impressive 300bhp at 6000rpm with 300lb-ft. of torque, more than you ever really need on a daily basis anyway.

The Evo’s dynamic characteristics not only make it predictable, but extremely confidence-inspiring, with Bilstein shocks that feel best suited for relatively well-paved roads. Gearing is slightly taller and more realistic than that of the STI, leading to less frequent shifting and certainty of which gear to choose when entering a turn. Braking systems are identical Brembo setups with nearly equally matched Bridgestone Potenza REO70s (STI) and Yokohama Advan A046s (Evo), which work well for both cars. The Evo’s 6-speed manual transmission (MR only ) is crisp and precise, making missed shifts rare. Turn-in is still quicker than the STI’s with a new simple and ergonomic titanium-finished steering wheel to handle. Recaro bucket seats, now upholstered in Alcantara to reduce slipperiness, hold you in place under almost all conditions.

The STI’s overall nature, though still great for track and autocross events, seem to favor a dirtier environment. The suspension not only has a longer range of travel, but is better suited for soaking up road irregularities (not to mention landings) than the MR’s setup. The addition of a steering-sensor input communicating intentions to the DCCD (Driver Controlled Center Differential) all-wheel-drive system adds intelligence to the STI, with a new mechanical limited-slip center differential helping to transfer torque effectively. While it may be a different story off-road, we find ourselves less at east through long sweepers due to the constant adjustments being made by the STI’s anxious active-center differential. The interior of the Subaru is comfortable and well equipped, making it less industrial-like and more inviting. The leather-wrapped steering wheel has a better feel, and the gauges are visually more appealing. The seats provide great lateral support but don’t share the same level of aggressiveness as the Evo’s.

The race to one-up each other comes in the form of add-ons instead of overhauls, mainly because Subaru and Mitsubishi know what outstanding performers they already have. Some of the other facets not mentioned yet for the STI include a brand-new front end (think Tribeca) restyled to reflect the company’s aircraft heritage. There are new slanted bulbous headlights and cleaner taillight clusters too. A roof spoiler said to enhance stability graces the top of the rear window, and the underside of the car receives a new diffuser mounted aft of the rear wheels. Evo MR updates include a tweaked front fascia integrating foglights with minor changes to head- and taillights, a revised hollow-design carbon-fiber rear wing, body-colored vortex generators, lighter Enkei wheels, and aluminum pedals to match the MR’s aluminum roof construction.

A victor in this rivalry is not easily determined. It really depends on what you as a driver want from your car. In my opinion, there is no car that will love you more than an Evo will. As a road warrior, its sharpness, directness, and aggressive yet forgiving nature leave the STI no choice but to step aside. One thing remains a given—compare the capabilities of this pair along with their costs, and there simply is no other competition.

Evo - STI

List Price: $35,189 $32,995
    Tested Price: $36,584 $33,660
    Curb weight: 3290lb 3340lb
    0-60mph: 4.7sec 5.1sec
    0-100mph: 12.7sec 13.8sec
    1/4mile: 13.5@105.9 13.6@99.6mph
    Braking 60-0: 116ft 120ft
    Brtaking 80-0: 204ft 216ft
    Skidpad: 0.91g 0.92g
    Slalom: 69.0mph 68.2mph
    Fuel Milage: 19.1mpg 19.6mpg
    Last edited by Redwood; 11-10-2005, 12:27 PM.
    -Sean Martin
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

Originally posted by McCall
      Originally posted by hancheyb
      That's very interesting. How many car competitions have been THAT close? Mustang/Camaro, one has always been ahead, etc. Now, what happens when you make a STU Evo and STI? I think we should do our own test and publish an article. We'll collect all the data at our January Test N Tune.
      So which STU car will you be in B? The Evo or Sti?
      Whoever is offering.
      Brian Hanchey
      AST Suspension - USA

Comment

And yes, I hand-typed both of those articles out. Ouch!
        -Sean Martin
        2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

Driving impressions: The Evo IX seems like a torque-ier little bugger, and the steering ratio feels much faster, than the STi. Looks of the '06 EVO vs the '06 STI are no comparison - the Tribecca inspired STI nose is hideous. Back seat room on the EVO is good - better than the RX8 - and the new Alcantara seating surfaces are a big improvement over last year's cloth.

IX's front end is sharper than the VIII, and all of the MR bling can be added to the IX at the factory or dealership (3 gauge pod, "vortex generators", aluminum shift knob, wickerbill on rear spoiler, front spoiler extension, etc). The exclusivity of the MR seems to have gone away - Lewisville Mitsubishi had 5-6 MRs and only 2 of the "Regular" IX. They had several '05s, including an RS. Plano Mitsubishi had 2 MRs and 2 IXs; they all had $2000 mark-ups for the MR, but both admitted they'd sell an MR at sticker. And IX would be under sticker, making it at least $5000 less (probably darn close to $30K).

The '06 IX has a lot more color options - including previously MR exclusive hues like charcoal gray (nice) and a color that looks a lot like Mazda's blue. The IX's wheels look better than the MR. Only parts advantage to the $4000 costlier MR is a 6-spd (with lower/worse gearing than the 5) and aluminum roof (13 pounds). My friend wrote off the RS since it is ABS-less.

Crawling under the EVO shows lots of aluminum - entire rear subframe, upper and lower control arms, etc. The "new" exhaust has 1 cat, 2 resonators and 1 big muffler. My friend would "bye-bye" the resonators, of course.

He has an interesting option in the EVO IX... but he is also considering a '03-04 Z06 for the same basic price. Tough choice.
          Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
          2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
          EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

But what Street Touring class is your friend going to run a Z06 in??? I think Hanchey and Paul would protest him if he tried to bring it to STU...
            Teucci has a good point about trannies - Tommy

Comment

I so want to look at the Graphite IX and Blue IX with Terry's "my friend".
              Brian Hanchey
              AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Originally posted by Fair!
                He has an interesting option in the EVO IX... but he is also considering a '03-04 Z06 for the same basic price. Tough choice.

Tough choice? Is this the same Terry Fair I know? What is this world coming to?

Comment

Originally posted by Fair!
                  The '06 IX has a lot more color options - including previously MR exclusive hues like charcoal gray (nice) and a color that looks a lot like Mazda's blue. The IX's wheels look better than the MR. Only parts advantage to the $4000 costlier MR is a 6-spd (with lower/worse gearing than the 5) and aluminum roof (13 pounds). My friend wrote off the RS since it is ABS-less.
                  Both colors are very nice, though I'm partial to blue. I agree about the look of the wheels as well. So it sounds like the regular IX is the best deal, assuming one has the cash to do springs, shocks, exhaust, camber plates, wheels, tuning. Also, aluminum shift knobs get hot as hell in the summer. The purchaser should not waste money on that.
                  -Sean Martin
                  2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

Now we just need Jeremy to lay out what all we'd have to buy. I mean what Terry's "my friend" would have to buy.
                    Brian Hanchey
                    AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Originally posted by C3
                      But what Street Touring class is your friend going to run a Z06 in??? I think Hanchey and Paul would protest him if he tried to bring it to STU...
                      My friend also has a hankering for 400+ hp Corvettes, and could run it in SS with a smile. But around here in these parts nobody runs SS. It's a scab class. This only makes the STU draw even stronger. For my friend.

Yes, if my friend got a blue EVO IX it would match my RX8, and we'd be twins yo. The "graphite" gray is also quite nice, and more subtle, subdued and inconspicuous. He has a tough choice.

He also has a wife that would reign down death and destruction on him if he bought another $30K+ car. Oiy! She's a whip - I know her! My friend would have to REALLY sweet talk this chick - and probably get more blingeriffic options like the MR - and still, it might be too tall an order. She's fookin MEAN!

I looked online briefly for Mitsubishi/EVO forums and WOW... what a bunch of poseurs! It makes the BMW crowd look sophisticated. Too many kids and ricers, very few real racers (as with most things on the internet, of course). Lots and lots of annoying-as-hell abbreviations and blingo lingo. "Dood, I got the Tshegen stiffies!" And "Man, you should get the 5zigen wheels, yo. They are tizzite!" (cringe!!!) My friend would have to wear a bag over his head if he drove near a highschool. "D00d, where's the turbo!"

I also ran across a bunch of people from around here I recognized - man, the internet... small world and all that.

The Gran Turismo factor and teen-aged punks have ruined a lot of cars for me. Yuck! The wings and bling and bizarre style almost overshadow the performance. Almost. But for STU, this car looks like an obvious overdog: Same or less weight as the other major STU players, but with more hp (330 whp should be doable), better brakes and lots of AWD grip. 20.6 psi from the factory! Dang it, I wish the RX8 had a 3.5L V6. Or with that BMW could make a powerful (like 255-280 hp) 3 series they weighed less than one fu*kton and cost less than the GDP of a small country! 3400 pounds and $38K, pshaw!

My friend likes the STU class, but hates FWD piggish cars with 60:40 weight splits. He also hates torqueless rotary engines, but that didn't stop him from looking at RX8s. What a mess - the ENTIRE engine on the EVO is in front of the front axle centerline - It's "Audi Bad" (TM). But for this class... it might still work best as a package. You'd be hard pressed to make 300-330 whp in an M3 or RX8, ha! Stick some coil-overs, 17x9.5's, 245mm tires, light battery (its waaay out front and high up!?!) and custom exhaust and go racin.
                      Last edited by Fair!; 11-10-2005, 04:40 PM.
                      Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
                      2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
                      EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

DOOD. I gots a line on titanium exhaust bits from SEMA. You'll be rollin' in style. We'll make some Vorshlag header back kits for it. Look out!
                        Brian Hanchey
                        AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Titanium, nice on paper, too FOOKING loud in person!
                          '11 Mustang GT / '95 Frankenpreza

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
                          - Dr. Clarkson

Comment

Has your "friend" driven an Evo? I might be able to arrange a test drive. It wouldn't be a MIVEX IX, but it would have ~300AWHP and m@D sw33t low3riNg sPr1ng$ y00! If I had a do -over, I'd buy an RS instead of the GSR. I still love this frickin car. I wish I had a front LSD, but other than that, I just love driving it. The steering is amazing and the power is decent too, (right paul? ). If we can do boost in STU, the car is going to make 330whp easily.

Oh and 5zigen isn't slang. My black wheels are 5zigen.

Comment

OH crap, slang boy. What is GSR?
                              Brian Hanchey
                              AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Originally posted by hancheyb
                                OH crap, slang boy. What is GSR?
                                Gun Shot Residue? The stuff he has to wipe off when he pulls out his gat.
                                -Sean Martin
                                2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

Working...
                                X