October 22, 2007

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: October 22, 2007

The results of this ruling will have a major impact on automakers. Already, manufacturers create some differing models to meet California standards and many diesels are not sold in California at all. Tighter regulations could see large SUV and truck sales eliminated from California along with all the states that adopt their regulations.
    Although misguided and over-reaching, I understand what CA is trying to do. They are trying to make buying gas guzzling trucks and SUVs less attractive. There just hasn't been any improvement in avg MPG ratings in almost 20 years (nor the CAFE requirements). Recently looked at some mpg ratings for new cars and trucks and most pretty much sucked... there's a ton of stuff that gets 10-20 mpg, and a few tiny cars that get 30-35+ highway. There's a handful of trucks that can barely touch 20 mpg highway, but really, that's still pretty poor. Most are 13-17 mpg highway rated, even the smallest trucks rarely crack 20 mpg.

And I'm part of the problem - daily driving in my truck I am getting 13 mpg city. My monthly gas bill for the truck is more than a typical car payment. Stupid. I have got to get a more fuel efficient car for commuting.
    Last edited by Fair!; 10-22-2007, 11:08 AM.
    Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
    2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
    EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

Umm, don't you HAVE a more fuel efficient car for commuting? How's that 318is doing? Also, keep in mind that the '08 model ratings are lower for every car due to new, more realistic testing methods. You can't really compare what you're used to seeing for mileage ratings to the current ones. Oh and CAFE uses the old testing method even though the stickers get different numbers.
      -Sean Martin
      2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

Originally posted by Redwood
        Umm, don't you HAVE a more fuel efficient car for commuting? How's that 318is doing?
        Hanchey is using the E30 right now, and yes, it is becomming a great commuter. That's what I mean - we need more of these little bimmer beaters for me, Amy, etc. Keeps miles off of our nicer cars and gets better gas mileage, yet still keeps us in BMWs that might also serve other purposes (the E30 is a great test bed for new products, efficient commuter, and potentially an STS and HPDE car).

Comment

Yeah, 318is is rockin'. Discovered a couple of issues in the rain today. A couple of electrical shorts! haha. I filled it up in September and just topped it off Friday.

I too have been looking for a new car. Fair is right, most everything is sub 20mpg. I just don't get it. Even our Odyssey ratings are WAY OFF compared to what even the new 2008 sticker says. It gets 16-17 in town and 22-23 on the highway. '08 says 20/26. That is extremely disappointing.

Big truck, little truck, big SUV, little SUV. They are all sub 20. But I just filled the trunk of the 318 up with boxes and had to leave one at Fair's. So...the 318 can't do everything. I need a bigger trunk. A 530iT I guess.
          Brian Hanchey
          AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Originally posted by hancheyb
            A 530iT I guess.
            **cough** Hello!?! Welcome to my idea from 4 months ago

So when are the 1/2 ton diesels getting here? Ed gets 18-20 mpg on the highway in his duramax dually when programmed for economy so you have to hope a 1/2 ton truck with a diesel should get close to 30mpg. It seems like a good solution that the market place would embrace.
            McCall

Comment

Originally posted by McCall
              **cough** Hello!?! Welcome to my idea from 4 months ago

So when are the 1/2 ton diesels getting here? Ed gets 18-20 mpg on the highway in his duramax dually when programmed for economy so you have to hope a 1/2 ton truck with a diesel should get close to 30mpg. It seems like a good solution that the market place would embrace.
              Hopefully that new Diesel GM is developing will fill that role.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/06/15/g...the-hummer-h2/
              -Sean Martin
              2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

Haha, a diesel truck getting 30mpg!?!? That ranks up there with Honda's estimates for the Odyssey...optimistic.
                Brian Hanchey
                AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Haha, a diesel truck getting 30mpg!?!? That ranks up there with Honda's estimates for the Odyssey...optimistic.
                  Well that article that Sean posted quotes GM as saying the new diesels will improve fuel efficiency by 25%. So assumming the current 1/2 truck gets 18 mpg on the highway, a 25% improvement would yield about 22-23 mpg. Now, if the new diesel is programmable via the aftermarket like the current duramax, you might be able to run it leaner while crusing on the highway and get 3-4 more mpg. So 30 might be a bit optimistic but I don't think 25 is out of the realm. Add to that you will have 300+ hp and 500+ tq, I think that would be a great truck you could daily drive if need be. Of course daily driving an E30 is even better.
                  McCall

Comment

I think the poor aero and big mass of any truck will never be overcome with new diesels and tweaks... most of the time most of us here could be rolling aorund in 2000# econoboxes that get 40mpg. Most of us would rather be caught dead than in a Prius, of course.

What I'm looking for is a good compromise... something with some "fun, style and character" like the E30, that gets great mileage (30+), yet still has some utility (room for the many boxes we have to deliver every day) and good reliability (I hate working on hoopty cars).

A cheap E36 5-spd (4 or 6 cyl) might be a good addition, as these can be purchased cheaply, can be made reliable, and can get good mileage (esp. the 4's). If only we could leave alone! That's hard to do when you have a shop full of temptations sitting on the shelves...

We're watching craigslist. There was a red $1400 E36 318ti earlier this week, and always some random BMW stuff with "one thing wrong" for a steal. Deals pop up on there all the time and we can usually fix just about anything for cheap.

Comment

I think a 325iT with a LS1 is still the ultimate sleeper. 400hp wagon probably gets 28 mpg? I'm doing it for the environment!
                      Brian Hanchey
                      AST Suspension - USA

Comment

I think a 325iT with a LS1 is still the ultimate sleeper. 400hp wagon probably gets 28 mpg? I'm doing it for the environment!

Will the swap work for a 4 door?
                        Hunter

Ladies and Gentlemen this is your captain speaking. Please put your collars in the upright and POPed position.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter
                          Will the swap work for a 4 door?
                          Of course!

318 is alive again. Note to self. Remove alternator to install brushes/voltage regulator correctly. Jamming it in there and tightening it down allows it to run for 1.5 days on the battery. On a good note, the passenger side carpet is now shampoo'd. I did that while the battery was charging. The car is cleaning up really nicely. It just needs a paint job, thermostat, rear diff bushing, brakes, springs, shocks, sway bars, seats, wheels, tires. See, almost done! haha

Even the heater started working tonight, I have no idea why, but it is just in time. Could have used it this morning with all the rain.
                          Brian Hanchey
                          AST Suspension - USA

Comment

It just needs a paint job, thermostat, rear diff bushing, brakes, springs, shocks, sway bars, seats, wheels, tires. See, almost done! haha
                            Cars are never "done".

The AST's for the E30 are here - we need to get these installed and order some 16x7.5" wheels and ST tires! That batch of mods alone will make a HUGE difference. We gotta show it off Thursday night at Stett's/BMWCCA club meeting. Not much to show now... well, you could do some 5000 rpm clutch dump one wheel burnouts in the parking lot. THAT will impress.

Even the heater started working tonight, I have no idea why, but it is just in time. Could have used it this morning with all the rain.
                            Self healing cars are the best!

Comment

Working...
                            X