Question about my car and the way its "tracking"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about my car and the way its "tracking"

160k on the odometer.. The car tracks on the road at highway speeds. Its gotten worse and worse. I have had the alignment checked and it was fine.
    Any little groove it will jerk the car to follow it.

The steering feels kind of loose and clunky.

What could be wrong?
    99 AW M3

Re: Question about my car and the way its "tracking"

oh yeh, one thing I noticed was when stopped and the steering is straight, when I go to turn left or right i hear/feel a pop in the steering...
    99 AW M3

Comment

steering rack? Sounds like a good reason to upgrade to a Z3 one
      McCall

Comment

about 1.5 -2 years ago I was hit by a chevy 1500 that ran a stop sign, real slow speeds but it tore up the front of my car..

The steering rack was one of the things they replaced... Think it could be bad?

I was hoping it was the tierods.. The boots are all cracked and open.
        99 AW M3

Comment

Can you list any mods to the car as well as what was replaced from the crash? Help us diagnose.
          Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
          2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
          EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

Originally posted by clifton23
            about 1.5 -2 years ago I was hit by a chevy 1500 that ran a stop sign, real slow speeds but it tore up the front of my car..

The steering rack was one of the things they replaced... Think it could be bad?

I was hoping it was the tierods.. The boots are all cracked and open.
            Well both tie rods don't usually go bad at the same time but that might be the case here based on your report of their condition. Since changing those is easy and somewhat cheap, I'd start there. I mean it definitely couldn't hurt.
            McCall

Comment

mods:
              ground control coilovers. I cant remember the exact eibachs that are in it..
              m3 swaybars with links
              new front control arm bushing (shoulda got the m3 solid one)
              vorshlag rtab limiters with poly bushings
              vorshlag stud kit

brembo rotors, hawk hps pads, ss lines...

thats about it for suspension..

They replaced my front left suspension, steering rack, motor mounts, bumper, left fender, hood, grill area, headlights...

The wreck was not more then 5mph but the truck had a brush gaurd.
              99 AW M3

Comment

Originally posted by McCall
                Well both tie rods don't usually go bad at the same time but that might be the case here based on your report of their condition. Since changing those is easy and somewhat cheap, I'd start there. I mean it definitely couldn't hurt.
                They might not be both bad.. It really seems like the car tracks left almost everytime.. just a quick jerk left and then I correct.

I am going to be replacing these pretty soon, so hopefully that fixes it. BUT the fact that you mention steering rack first scares me..
                99 AW M3

Comment

mods:
                  m3 swaybars with links
                  vorshlag rtab limiters with poly bushings
                  vorshlag stud kit

brembo rotors, hawk hps pads, ss lines...

thats about it for suspension..

They replaced my front left suspension, steering rack, motor mounts, bumper, left fender, hood, grill area, headlights...

The wreck was not more then 5mph but the truck had a brush gaurd.
                  GC coilovers... perhaps GC camber plates too? Otherwise, who's?

Comment

none.. that was next on the list. Then I moved from Austin to Corpus and don't have the time to autocross anymore :SAD:
                    99 AW M3

Comment

mods:
                      If you have coilovers and Non M LCA bushings you'll have this issue. Have someone drive in your drive way and slam on the brakes. You'll see the wheel move back in the wheel well with Non M ones.

Brian
                      Brian Hanchey
                      AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Interesting..

I wonder if this is why my car pulls to the left or right when hard braking..
                        I have new calipers and pads and was still wondering why this occured..

K, so Im going to get new tierods, M LCA bushings and a new alignment in the next week or so.

Thanks!
                        99 AW M3

Comment

Originally posted by hancheyb
                          If you have coilovers and Non M LCA bushings you'll have this issue. Have someone drive in your drive way and slam on the brakes. You'll see the wheel move back in the wheel well with Non M ones.

Brian
                          Yep, that one drove Brian nuts until he figured it out. *clunk*

Comment

Tie Rods and/or the balljoint(s) in the LCA are probably where the source of your looseness is, especially since you mention the boots on the tie rods are dead. I'd start with the tie rods (because they're cheaper).
                            Chris
                            97 M3/4 - STU
                            06 Evo - SM
                            00 S2000 - STR

Comment

Originally posted by hancheyb

Brian
                              looked at it today.. Had the steering wheel locked and car on jack stands. I was under the car while I had a friend give a push on one of the wheels. Sure enough the LCA bushings had a TON of play in them, like 1/2" movement left to right...

Guess I will be ordering some new LCA bushings.

The tierods aren't as bad as I first thought. The boots are just cracking, they aren't torn apart.
                              99 AW M3

Comment

Working...
                              X