GARAGE TECH: Epoxy Flooring

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GARAGE TECH: Epoxy Flooring

Thought I'd post an update that it's been a year now and the floor is holding up extremely well! It hasn't even thought about peeling up anywhere and the only damage to it are where I dropped heavy items (like big trailer hitches) that gouged the concrete and chipped it (understandably so) or welding slag that put tiny burn marks on the floor....which are hardly noticeable with the black speckles.

It's even been stained with rusty water and it just wipes away with a little bit of elbow grease. And this floor has been through HELL in it's one year of use. More sparks, metal working, floorjacks/stands, solvents, etc. that most garages will see in a lifetime. And if I cared enough to really thoroughly clean it, it would look just as good today as the day I finished it.

Tommy
    2001 Jeep Wrangler
    2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins

BMW E36 DIY's:
    Front LCA Bushing Swap
    E36 Custom Cat Back
    M3 Limited Slip Diff Repair
    Diff Swap

Comment

Thought I would bring this thread back yet again.

I coated my floor when we built the house. Used Rustoleum kits, but at the time used the normal kit sold at Lowes. Water based I guess and no clear coat. It has been in use for 5 years or so, and still holding up ok, but has lifted in a few places under the racecar tires.

I'm thinking of trying to redo it. Maybe a heavy duty cleaning, re-etch it, and put new stuff over old stuff?

So, any feedback on how your florrs are holding up and if anyone has tried a retouch or recoat?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Wirtz View Post
        Thought I would bring this thread back yet again.

I coated my floor when we built the house. Used Rustoleum kits, but at the time used the normal kit sold at Lowes. Water based I guess and no clear coat. It has been in use for 5 years or so, and still holding up ok, but has lifted in a few places under the racecar tires.

I'm thinking of trying to redo it. Maybe a heavy duty cleaning, re-etch it, and put new stuff over old stuff?

So, any feedback on how your florrs are holding up and if anyone has tried a retouch or recoat?

Thanks!
        Coming from someone who has tried the re-etch/repaint thing over an previous coating, I can tell you NOT to do it. It will just pull up again so it's a waste of time. If you want to repaint because of pull-up, the only way to make it stick is to completely REMOVE the old coating, using a floor sander, and starting from scratch with the oil-based version.
        McCall

Comment

I took the lazy way out and had Home Depot come out and install their floor coating. I opted for the commercial grade coating. My 2 car garage in CO was $1200 with a 5 year warranty against pull up, peeling, etc.

Took 1.5 days to install. They diamond abraded it, vacuumed, put down a primer, two coats of color, some flaky things and then let it dry. Following afternoon they came back and put two coats of clear on it.

It has been 2 years now and the floor has held up amazing. No hot-tire peel (even with R-comps). Has held up to brake fluid, anything else the M3 barfs out, Magnesium Chloride (mag-chlor for road de-icing) and whatever other crap the locals put out to keep the dumbasses from sliding off the road on their bald summer tires (not that I'm *****ing).

Hanchey seemed to like it when we replaced the rear struts on the mommy-mobile.

I highly recommend this for those of you (like me) who have done this before and got seriously pissed off when it started peeling up even with all the prep-work you did

Comment

Working...
          X