Goldmember's First Outing (E36 325)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goldmember's First Outing (E36 325)

Well yesterday we went to the BMW club autox at Pennington Field for a little shake down of Goldmember and it went great.....eventually. This was my our first opportunity to see how the AST 4200's would be versus the previous Bilsteins. When we first unloaded we noticed that the right rear shock was hanging down and not connected to the trailing arm and the bolt was no where to be found. So after a quick run to several hardware stores in the area with no luck some one mentioned that the wheel studs were M12x1.5 so we removed one rear wheel stud and used it and a lug nut to attach the shock back. So glad we had just installed our new Vorshlag 75mm studs so strength was not an issue. The car handled incredibly right off the bat. After my son Sean's and my morning runs we were 2nd and 5th in class F. What a difference. With a little push on corner entry we dialed out 4 clicks on rebound and it was amazing how it made just the right difference. We did not have to make any compression changes since the car showed no hop or traction issues on exit, just throttle controllable over steer if needed. The AST's were so consistent throughout the day (16 runs combined). So end result is with a string line alignment and very little prep we finished with Sean in 4th and I was 2nd in class F with an E46 M3 the only car that bettered our time. To give this perspective, every other car in class was an M3 versus our 1992 E36 325 with an M50. Now with some true prep before the next autox I can only imagine... A big thanks to Terry and Brian for all their help to this point.

Re: Goldmember's First Outing (E36 325)

Goooooooold!

I just saw the results. Pretty impressive. Can't wait to drive Goldmember.
    Brian Hanchey
    AST Suspension - USA

Comment

We have the proper rear OEM style shock mounting bolts in stock. You not checking rear bolts =

Ken O in the E46 M3 is a local racer who has a handful of parts from us (but dreaded Konis) so you better beat him next time.

Where are the pictures??????

Goldmember...
      Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
      2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
      EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

How much rebound did you end up with front and rear?

Comment

Originally posted by 97M3 View Post
          How much rebound did you end up with front and rear?
          I don't think Dave has enough data yet to know the precise shock settings... the front swaybar was unhooked, the car had no alignment, and I think he said he didn't adjust the shocks all day - it was a very early outing in the car. Once he gets the car aligned and dialed in I'm sure he'll share data.

Here's some pictures and a video from that event!

Lined up for an attack on course

This cheap eBay header and a side exit exhaust makes for a loud bark and good power

The car has a full AST 4200 / Vorshlag suspension

Taking a cue from our E30 318is, Dave built his own seat brackets using an UltraShield seat and Sparco slider

Video from the event - turn up the volume!

That little 2.5L sounds GOOD! Some lumpy cams and the free flowing exhaust make up the majority of the power mods, and as you can see in the video above it LEAPS out of corners when the throttle is applied. Can't wait to see this car with bigger wheels & tires and full track prep out at a BMWCCA Club Race. Its going to be quick!
          Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
          2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
          EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

Working...
          X