Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denver National Tour

Results are up..

Lotsa TAMSCCers there, and Texans brought home some wood.

Costas

Re: Denver National Tour

Costas

Comment

That's hanchey in "big red", a prepped DSP E46 BMW. Great picture - got any more??

Apparently the car had some little issues he had to deal with (broken harness, full tank of fuel, power steering and rev limiter problems), some of which were more under control by day 2.

Some cone trouble plagued hanchey all weekend, but otherwise I think he had a blast and was quick (raw). I'm sure he'll post when he gets to a computer (may be next weekend, as he is on vacation all week).
      Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
      2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
      EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

Here are the Sunday Results. I'm just confused as to why the car Hanchey was driving is listed as a 1995 BMW 330Ci
        -Sean Martin
        2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

Looked at Brian Peters times in STU and he was just plain fast. He PAXed over a second faster than Andy Hollis. Beat up Brandon really bad too. =)
          '11 Mustang GT / '95 Frankenpreza

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
          - Dr. Clarkson

Comment

Originally posted by Paul
            Looked at Brian Peters times in STU and he was just plain fast. He PAXed over a second faster than Andy Hollis. Beat up Brandon really bad too. =)
            Beating up Brandon is a good thing. I noticed most of the top STX/STU cars had Yoks (except Brandon). FWD cars winning STX =
            -Sean Martin
            2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

Originally posted by Redwood
              Beating up Brandon is a good thing. I noticed most of the top STX/STU cars had Yoks (except Brandon). FWD cars winning STX =
              Brandon had Yoks even if it said otherwise. He switched right before I raced him in Topeka.
              '11 Mustang GT / '95 Frankenpreza

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
              - Dr. Clarkson

Comment

Brian Peters is quick. He was my closest rival after the first day at Nationals in DS in 2004.

Brian

Comment

Hollis ran first heat (as did FS) and we took a whuppin in pax. The practice course got SIGNIFICANTLY faster on Friday after the second 'heat' (and that was only 60 runs maybe). I am sure the 3rd and 4th heats paxed a little higher than they normally would. I don't know when the class you are talking about ran so it may be moot, but the later the runs, the more rubber was down and the faster the time.

Costas

Comment

STS2 ran 1st and STU ran 4th, iirc. And the course was DIRTY to start - apparently there are no brooms/sweepers in Colorado.
                    Teucci has a good point about trannies - Tommy

Comment

Originally posted by Fair!
                      That's hanchey in "big red", a prepped DSP E46 BMW. Great picture - got any more??

Apparently the car had some little issues he had to deal with (broken harness, full tank of fuel, power steering and rev limiter problems), some of which were more under control by day 2.

Some cone trouble plagued hanchey all weekend, but otherwise I think he had a blast and was quick (raw). I'm sure he'll post when he gets to a computer (may be next weekend, as he is on vacation all week).
                      I'm sure you all have seen the results and are making fun of me. I had a perfect weekend. I hit cones on every run! That car is so wide add to the fact it has a slower rack than M3's. I don't think I hit the same cone twice, I was just cutting them too close. I had a great time autocrossing though. I ended up driving the '01 330CI in DSP against National Champ David Fauth and Teucci's old car piloted by Paul Leonard.

Day 1:
                      Car is ready. But I noticed that it has a stock seat in it. No biggie. Then I notice the factory battery and the gas tank is FULL. So...the car is 140+ pounds overweight already, but hey it was a free ride! Get settled in grid, 5 cars till I run. Strapping in, uh....shoulder straps won't buckle. The harness is broken so I do my first run with just a lap belt. The original buckle is not there so ended up doing all my runs with a lap belt. That car pulls -1.1g braking and I nearly hit my head on the steering wheel the first time I braked. I hit the rev limiter a couple of times and noticed the car has a fuel cut out rev limiter so I was coasting. Great! Awesome grip and raw times (if you count that) I was only 6/10s off the fast guys. I put the passenger harness in for Day 2.

Day 2:
                      More fun. Turns out the gearing is wrong for three parts on the course. I hit the rev limiter and looking at the data I coasted for a full second! OK, upshift there next time. Having the harness got me all excited, I was doing pretty good until I over cooked a turn and had to stop on course to avoid DNF'ing. Looking at the data that was 2 seconds wasted. Next run the power steering pump quit at the end of the slalom. Bob said they haven't found a way to fix that trying various stock pumps. Last run, I missed a shift.

So not a stellar moment for me. I think the car is capable with the right gearing, new tires, race seats and a good driver. I got tons of data on Bob's s/c car and Fauth ran it for several runs. Both were pulling 1.3+g's. I pulled in the 1.2's on old Kumhos. They were on new Hoosiers. All in all it was really fun driving on R compounds again. Street tires suck! Bob's car pulled .8 g's off the line, the same as Paul's STi. That surface is grippy Paul, be careful next weekend.

I talked to Branden for a little bit. Best quotes of the day:

1. "I have the ultimate asphalt set up, I've got Neary's number."

2. "Paul beat me at the regional, but I beat him by 1.5s on the second day." I said, well Paul has bad days, he said he was off the second day. "Oh, that's what he always says when I beat 'em."

3. "The reason I was behind on the first day is because my sway bar was broken. It is fixed now so I should pummel them. I like being a few places away from first, because I can always pounce on them like Nationals. That's my plan this year as well."

He got his a$$ handed to him this weekend, both days.

It is 55 degrees here at 4:20PM. hehe
                      Brian Hanchey
                      AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Originally posted by hancheyb
                        That car pulls -1.1g braking and I nearly hit my head on the steering wheel the first time I braked. I hit the rev limiter a couple of times and noticed the car has a fuel cut out rev limiter so I was coasting. Great! Awesome grip and raw times (if you count that) I was only 6/10s off the fast guys. I put the passenger harness in for Day 2.
                        Did the car have stock software in it or Conforti/Dinan/other? It shouldn't be bad with the software update. '01 330 had the "new, improved" lighter steering. BMW had a retrofit offer for a brief time to make it like the '02+, but dunno if this car had it. Regardless, the steering ratio was not changed as far as I know, just heaviness. Yes, steering is not as tight as an E36 M3. That is a big drawback. No idea if it's changed on the 330 ZHP, but probably not.
                        -Sean Martin
                        2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

It has had s/w from all those vendors and they all do it. The steering and the width of that car is a huge disadvantage over E36 DSP cars.
                          Brian Hanchey
                          AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Originally posted by Redwood
                            I'm just confused as to why the car Hanchey was driving is listed as a 1995 BMW 330Ci
                            Hanchey was supposed to race in a 1995 BSP classed M3 Lightweight. Someone dropped the ball and forgot they offered him the ride, so he scrambled and got a ride in Vic Michael's E46 BMW 330i in DSP instead. The registrar only fixed half the car model info... happens all the time with switched rides.

It is 55 degrees here at 4:20PM. hehe
                            It hit 108°F in Bridgeport, TX where I was today; it was 104°F by 11 am. It got down to 107°F by the time I got back into Lewisville at 6 pm, and only 104°F in Plano when I got in at 6:30 pm. I was outside all day, on the roof of a building, mounting/wiring/setting up a radio transceiver. The roof was silver reflective metal. I am sunburned to hell!
                            Last edited by Fair!; 07-17-2006, 08:31 PM.
                            Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
                            2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
                            EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

It has actually been typical Estes Park weather this week. Rarely is it typical anymore. It gets up to the 70s and around 1P it rains and is in the 50s to 60s the rest of the day. Anyone wonder why I come up here every July?
                              Brian Hanchey
                              AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Working...
                              X