Unread 02-19-2007, 12:00 PM

Default Re: E36 LS1 Beta

Looking good guys..

The GRM UTC will be tough. A high hp z06 that is well driven will be hard to beat unless a full-on car shows up.

You guys going for the win (Independent Study, Varsity) or just going to do as good as you can and showcase vomo and the project/parts?

Costas
Unread 02-19-2007, 02:28 PM

Cool, keep up the good work!!!

Costas
Unread 02-19-2007, 05:11 PM

Good going guys...wish I was closer, I'd come help some.

Costas
Unread 02-20-2007, 12:00 AM

Looks good guys!

Wish I lived closer, I would come out and help some.

Costas
Unread 03-14-2007, 04:35 PM
Banned

Will there be any work going on this thursday (3-15-07)? I finally have a free day and would like to come over and help out. I can hold flashlights or turn whenches, but my specialty is standing back and making sarcastic suggestions.
Unread 04-08-2007, 02:58 PM
I blame the internet

Updates: We've been working on the LS1 swap steadily during the recent crazy weeks of new product arrivals, intense R&D on shocks/camber plates, new motor mounts, and lots more. As we've mentioned before, we're all about KEEPING functional ABS on our E36 swap. Very important to racers and street driven cars alike! To make room for the headers on the driver's side this means we must "move" the stock ABS actuator. This means a new bracket, plumbing new lines, and keeping the unit below the Master Cylinder for proper gravity feed of the flex lines and bleeding. Here's the ABS relocation work, in progress... (pictures)

Bracket template and .125" steel plate; plate bent, drilled and mounted (2 holes have to be drilled, w/ good access)

ABS unit mounted using OEM isolators. Note height relative to Master Cylinder

Our third brake flaring tool kit ($$$) for Metric Bubble Flaring of new 4.75mm lines. First hardline made.

First line installed, fit snugly to chassis. Will add brackets with rubber isolators for hardlines. Two flex lines from reservoir to ABS are clamped, low pressure hoses.

That was what I did yesterday while Hanchey and Paul installed a set of the new AST/Vorshlag coil-over shocks on my M3 as well as a set on his STi (with hand built rear camber plates). <- Pics soon.

OK, enough goofing off... Now I'm back out to the shop to finish up the other 4 hardlines for the brakes then it goes to header fab tomorrow. The headers should take "3 or 4 days" but we will budget 2-3 weeks, to be safe. These will be custom built, stainless, 1-3/4" primary, 32-34" long tube headers with 3" collectors. We'll work on the other header options after these are in production (merge collectors, shorty style, larger primaries, etc). Once the car comes back from header fab it will be a full court press to get it plumbed, wired and running on the stock motor/ECM for some shake down testing. 7.0L build-up is in progress.

While this Beta car is out for header fab our white 325i comes in for its drivetrain removal in preparation for another LS1 install.
Unread 04-08-2007, 08:00 PM
I blame the internet

More ABS updates: Here's all 5 custom hardlines completed.

Cut the line with a tubing cutter, then drill the ID, then chamfer, then flare; here's 4 of the 5 lines

All 5 lines completed; Might re-do the first one (get rid of the "drip loop")

3 of the lines are spliced into the stock lines. The 2 lines from the MC to the ABS are all new. We'll use the 3 modified lines to create all new lines for the kit. Off to header fab!
Unread 06-11-2007, 04:24 PM
I blame the internet

Update for May 31st, 2006: Header progress... layout and tack. All 304 SS, full length. We are going for a CNC bendable, production-worthy design.

Here's something interesting that was in our fabricator's shop: another nonsensical, expensive, underwhelming engine that dwarfs the LS1 motor in size/weight/cost but has less than half the displacement and power. This smog-era Porsche 2.7L Flat-6 is larger than the LS2 (shown below) in every dimension!

What a hoopty! Cost to rebuild: $10K. Power potential: Not good. Alternative: Brand new LS2 with a 930 transaxle... aww yeah! Not a swap we are doing, but I will snap pics of it when I go by and it progresses. That drivetrain is going into this '77 911, which has been converted to a turbo widebody and a slope nose. Too cool.
Unread 06-11-2007, 04:25 PM
I blame the internet

Updates for June 7, 2007: After a month of waiting our fabricator is finally on our project and is knocking it out quickly. In 2 partial days of fab work the headers are nearly done. Finished by this weekend, then off to be reproduced in quantity. These headers were built specifically for a CNC bender to be able to reproduce each primary in a seamless 1-piece tube, then assembled on our fixtures. The finished product will be production quality, 304 Stainless Steel, 3/8" thick laser cut flanges. Optional merge collectors.

On with the pics. These are of the driver's side, which was by far the hardest side to build. This is due to the closeness to the brake booster/rear exhaust port and the packaging around our custom steering shaft assembly (those are being built in volume as well). Ended up routing very nicely, with the collector no lower than the floor pan and enough room to slide your hand between the steering shaft and each primary around it.

New pictures start here. This is a sample:

The rubber bellows surrounding the 2-piece collapsible steering shaft is being changed to a low profile heat resistant covering. Two of our modified brake lines are going to be rerouted away from header heat. The motor mounts will change (to a shorter version based somewhat on our E30 poly mounts). A custom (optional) bolt-on cat-back exhaust is also in the works, based closely on Teucci's Alpha car exhaust routing, pipe sizes and muffler (dual 3", Y-'d into a 3" bzck to a 3" MagnaFlow race muffler). The sound on the Alpha is perfect: quiet enough to fool a lot of people at idle (nearly silent) but loud enough at W.O.T. to let them know what's under the hood!
Unread 06-11-2007, 04:26 PM
I blame the internet

Updates for June 11, 2007: Yes indeed, just like I said in post #311 the header fabrication work was completed last weekend. Now we take the headers out, pull the 8 primaries apart, and have them duplicated on a CNC bender. Then they can be built on a fixture for production quantities. This is what makes this set special - they were made to fit the car and engine as well as a CNC bender. Gets the costs under control so people won't have to spend $3-4K on custom headers to do this swap!

Pictures of the passenger side (easier than driver's but still took a full day of fab work and layout):

This hand-built prototype set is made with super stout/overkill .085" wall thickness 304SS bends but a production set would be made with .049" or .035" wall, which is more commonly used in production bent headers.