Unread 08-22-2013, 11:34 AM
I blame the internet

Default Racing Seats at Vorshlag

One thing we often get asked by track and autocross drivers is: Does a racing seat really matter? Will it make me FASTER? The answer is - yes! A proper fixed-back racing seat not only saves some weight over the OEM seat, more importantly these connect your body to the chassis so you can "read" what is happening in your back and butt long before your eyes sense some unwanted yaw or change in attitude of the car.

A properly installed racing seat can also add several inches of headroom for tall folks, or raise the seating position for the vertically challenged. A composite fixed-back seat is also stronger in a crash, with less chance of the seat back breaking compared to a tilting OEM seat. Lastly, when coupled with a proper racing harness, a fixed back seat with ample lateral support keeps the mass of your torso, head and arms in place, connected to the seat - instead of your arms holding the upper half of your body in place with the steering wheel. Every racer that has their first experience driving with a proper racing seat says same thing, "The steering effort is SO much easier now! I can't believe I didn't do this sooner." As grip levels increase this effect becomes more pronounced.

Vorshlag has been installing fixed back and reclining racing seats into sports cars for many years, and we had customers asking us to supply seats for a while. So earlier in 2013 we decided to take the plunge and do a big buy-in with Cobra...

You can now find many of the Cobra seats and accessories we can supply on our website. Just click on "Products", then "Racing Seats", located here. We have a number of the popular Cobra seats added and in stock here at Vorshlag, including the popular Imola, Suzuka and Evolution.

We have installed Cobra seats into various cars including BMWs, Mustangs, Corvettes, Subarus and more. There are tricks and tips for each of these cars' installs, and almost none of the adapter brackets made in the aftermarket fit with every seat and every body type. The problems come with tall drivers (over 5'9") losing massive amounts of headroom with a racing seat, which only gets worse when you add a racing helmet, or if the car has a sunroof. It doesn't need to be this way - we know the tricks to getting your seat installed right.

Normally we will make custom chassis brackets, and add a low profile slider, if the car is a dual purpose street/track or street/autocross car. And often a car has more than one driver, which makes the adjustable slider a necessity. Not all sliders are equal - some brands of sliders hold up to the rigors of racing better than others. And they can be safe if you know what to look for. We've worked with a number of them and can guide you to the parts that will best meet your needs.

http://vorshlag.smugmug.com/Service/Race-Seat/

The gallery above shows a few custom seat bracket installations we have done. When a customer can bring their car to us we can make a perfect set-up, where the seat and driver are centered to the steering wheel, with the ideal seat height, angle, and fore-aft position. If you want racing harnesses, and a harness bar or roll bar to mount them to, we can supply those as well. Nobody makes one for your car? No worries - our team of in-house fabricators can scratch build one, just bring us your car. And for dual-purpose cars we will reinstall the OEM seat belts for safer street use (properly worn racing harness can make street driving difficult and may not be legal in your state).

We usually have some Cobra, Sparo, and OMP seats in stock, and sometimes Corbeau and Racetrach. Feel free to stop by and "take a seat" in some that are mounted on floor stands in our lobby. We also usually have one or more cars in our shop with racing seats. If you don't see what you need just give us a call (972.422.7170) or shoot us an e-mail (sales@vorshlag.com).

Last edited by Fair!; 03-20-2017 at 06:30 PM.
Unread 03-20-2017, 06:42 PM
I blame the internet

Default Re: Racing Seats at Vorshlag

It has been 4 years since I posted the above blurb about Cobra racing seats. We still love this brand, but the shipping costs make it difficult for us to sell Cobra.

Lately we have had great luck with Sparco seats and we have a better way to ship them, so we can actually get them here and to customers without adding 50% to the purchase price. It seems crazy, and it is, but the US distributors for Cobra and several other brands downright gouge us on shipping.

Below are a few Sparco models we now sell and use more often, and we usually have some in stock or mounted onto stands in our showroom. We always encourage people to "test sit" in any racing seat they are going to use to make sure it FITS THEIR BODY TYPE and driving position. I will talk more about these aspects on each model below.

SPARCO I/II/III

The Sparco EVO is made in an unprecedented 3 sizes (widths/heights), and the EVO II was our most popular seat in 2016 and 2017 - which fits the vast majority of adults. We won't sell the EVO I due to its weirdly small size, and the EVO III is so big it isn't used as often either.

The EVO seats have a lower leg bolstering area, which make them much easier to get into/out of (a "low step-over") but still support the hips and shoulders well. They work well for a dual purpose street/track car or a time trial car. Yes, a fixed back racing seat can be used safely on the street, as long as you keep the stock 3-point retractable seat belts, route them correctly (see above), and set the driving position so that you can reach the controls and see well out of the car.

The upholstery materials on the EVO are great and they feature 5 harness pass-thru holes for use with a 5-6-7 point racing harness. Like almost all composite shell racing seats it has threaded mounts on the sides, and must be used with a set of side mount brackets to mount them to your chassis bracket or floorpan.

Sizing: The important thing to remember is NOBODY over 100 pounds fits in the EVO I. We don't know who Sparco is making the EVO I to fit, but it isn't adult Americans. If you are over 100 pounds but under 275 pounds you should fit the EVO II. If you are larger than 275 you might fit better in the large EVO II seat.

We have these seats in a number of customer and shop cars and try to keep one in the lobby at all times. They are a great seat, and lightweight for their class, but weigh more than the numbers Sparco publishes. Every seat we have ever weighed is 2-4 pounds heavier than the charts show, for all brands. We don't know why.

SPARCO CIRCUIT I/II

The Sparco Circuit is another FIA approved seat which has a composite shell and black upholstery. The middle seat pads are velcro'd in place so they can be changed out to fit your back shape, adjust your height, etc.

The Circuit is a "head restraint" style seat, which means they have a "halo" section to help restrain your head in a side impact. This makes them almost completely unusable for street use but very preferable for a track-only car, as visibility to your direct left or right is compromised. But with a seat like this you no longer need a "center net" to keep you in the seat in a side impact, so they are better for racing use.

The Circuit seat also has high leg bolstering, which works as a good leg restraint in hard cornering. These make them harder to get into/out of (a "high step-over") but for a race car its what you need. Like the EVO seats, this composite shell racing seat has threaded mounts on the sides, and must be used with a set of side mount brackets to mount them to your chassis bracket or floorpan.

We have these seats in a number of customer and shop cars and try to keep one or more in the lobby at all times. They are a great racing seat, and a little heavier than the non-halo seats from Sparco due to the higher leg bolster and halo portions.

Sizing: The important thing to remember is NOBODY over 100 pounds fits in the EVO I. We don't know who Sparco is making the EVO I to fit, but it isn't adult Americans. If you are over 100 pounds but under 275 pounds you should fit the EVO II. If you are larger than 275 you might fit better in the large EVO II seat.

SPARCO SPRINT / SPRINT L

The Sprint series seat is a low cost FIA approved fixed back racing seat from Sparco. This is a tubular steel framed seat with passing and upholstery

This seat can be either side mounted (with optional side mount brackets) or bottom mounted. The tubular steel frame has threaded holes in both locations.

Sizing: The Sprint fits most adult Americans and this is what we sell most of the time. The Sprint L is VERY LARGE and considerably wider than the Sprint. These are best suited for folks over 275 pounds.

The sizing chart above is for the Sprint.

SPARCO PRO-2000 I / II

The Pro 2000 is one of the most popular Sparco competition seats. It combines comfort and ergonomics with safety and performance. The non-slip fabric on the shoulder and cushion area and two lumbar support pads improve cockpit comfort.

Made from an light fiberglass composite shell and wrapped in a fire retardant fabric, the Pro 2000 features a seat design that cradles the body for greater performance. The Pro 2000 is FIA approved.

Sizing: The Sparco Pro2000 comes in two sizes, but we strongly recommend the Pro2000 II. Again, the "I" size is for teenie tiny people.

We sold a pair of the Pro2000 II Sparcos to the owner of this NC generation Mazda MX5, who uses the car for autocross and track competition. They fit both the car and the driver great.

========

Thanks for reading - we will add more Sparco seats as we receive them into inventory and install them into cars.

Last edited by Fair!; 03-21-2017 at 05:10 PM.