Tire rack from Tire Rack

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire rack from Tire Rack

Moderator's note: for an unknown reason the original poster decided to delete the thread and his first post. The thread was restored.
    Last edited by Fair!; 10-19-2007, 11:00 PM.
    Toth: "I would sue Duck, but I don't know what I would do with 3 pennies and a hoopty GTO."
    Me: "I never finish anyth..."

Re: Tire rack from Tire Rack

Not bad for $129

Unfortunately I need about 47 of those racks.
    Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
    2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
    EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

Just make one. That's what I did. Worked like a charm and was maybe $20 for about 16' of wheel/tire storage.
      2001 Jeep Wrangler
      2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins

BMW E36 DIY's:
      Front LCA Bushing Swap
      E36 Custom Cat Back
      M3 Limited Slip Diff Repair
      Diff Swap

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy R
        Just make one. That's what I did. Worked like a charm and was maybe $20 for about 16' of wheel/tire storage.
        I just doubt myself making one, been there, never finished . No welder nor skills to use one just yet. But just curious, what did you make yours out of ? Got pics ?
        Toth: "I would sue Duck, but I don't know what I would do with 3 pennies and a hoopty GTO."

Comment

I did, and its too small. Holds 20 tires, which is about 15 too few. Also holds steel and has 4 shelves, all now full.

8.5' high, 10' long, 30" deep

I mean, we don't have a "Gary Hood" amount of tires, but there are many stacked on the ground and the rack is full. And I dunno the last time you bought steel, but $20 won't even buy you three 12' pieces of 1" square tubing anymore.

Comment

Steel? Who said steel?
            Attached Files
            2001 Jeep Wrangler
            2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins

BMW E36 DIY's:
            Front LCA Bushing Swap
            E36 Custom Cat Back
            Diff Swap

Comment

I have been using a gorllia rack from either home despot or lowes, can't remember off hand. But it is an industrial strength shelf. I just didn't put the wood planks in and it turns out a tire fits into place just fine. It is floor standing like what Fair built however, so you can't tuck a car or something else under it like what Dean posted. I'll take a picture of the one I am using. For the 255-50-16 Toyos we run in CMC, I think I have 18 or 20 tires on it. I think it was $100 and took no building or modifying.

Jeff

Comment

Steel? Who said steel?
                Are those Camry wheels or Accord wheels?
                Brian Hanchey
                AST Suspension - USA

Comment

*fwap!*
                  2001 Jeep Wrangler
                  2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins

BMW E36 DIY's:
                  Front LCA Bushing Swap
                  E36 Custom Cat Back
                  Diff Swap

Comment

Steel? Who said steel?
                    That setup looks really good! Looks like a fence pole - 8' is cheap and easy to cut with a sawzall and a heavy duty fence hinge plus some wood and chain and eyelets, excellent!

Comment

Exactly. Cheapy cheap cheap!! And supports a LOT of weight.
                      2001 Jeep Wrangler
                      2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins

BMW E36 DIY's:
                      Front LCA Bushing Swap
                      E36 Custom Cat Back
                      Diff Swap

Comment

Steel? Who said steel?
                        Dang NOAH, how many cubits of wood did that take to build? Throw in some chain, a barn door hinge, and a galvanized fence post... man, you are the Home Depot warrior! But yes, that's a very cost effective, homemade hanging rack.

The one Jeff mentioned was what I probably should have bought, but I needed some additional shelving and a steel rack, so I went the custom route (and burned at least 2 full days making this thing, painting it, making the shelves, getting the material, etc). I came very close to making it out of uni-strut and round steel conduit, but the costs of strut went through the roof so I just used square tubing and welded it up instead.

I've made several more tables and an office desk in a similar fashion since making the tire rack, and at least it is getting easier/faster/better looking.

These both have shelves and are very full now - and I need 2 more big ones!)

Just finished the office desk 2 nights ago. Needed more room for the multi-head LCD set-up and new pc. Ikea 1.25" thick butcher block hardwood counter-tops are cost effective, sturdy, and good looking. The thicker 1.75" stuff works great for work benches. The desk used six $5/each Ikea powder coated steel table legs and a 1" square steel tubing frame. Every office desk I found in the size I wanted was $$$ and/or made of particle board. This one was ~$150 in materials and ~4 hours of work fabbing it and finishing the wood.

Comment

Vorshlag, we don't make your home furnature, ... well ok Fair does

Very nice desk btw
                          Hunter

Ladies and Gentlemen this is your captain speaking. Please put your collars in the upright and POPed position.

Comment

Hey... that bearing press looks awful familiar! Probably still has some of my DNA on it (Never stick your finger near the press!).

not that kind of DNA you sick bastiges!

Comment

Originally posted by John in Houston
                              Hey... that bearing press looks awful familiar! Probably still has some of my DNA on it (Never stick your finger near the press!).

not that kind of DNA you sick bastiges!
                              It looks even more familiar to me, seeing as how I gave that press to Brian M. for free a few years ago. I would have loved to keep it, but my 2 car garage is stuffed to the gills and I knew Brian could make good use of it.

Mike McClure

Comment

Working...
                              X