Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• August Fasttrack

Street Touring:

2) Street Touring: Per the STAC, Street Touring competitors are reminded that ST requires all vehicle modifications to be emissions
    compliant
    as stated in 14.10.C, 14.10.D, and 14.10.E. All emissions system hardware and software must be operationally
    functional as originally intended by the manufacturer. Tampering with emissions system software and/or hardware to
    create or

cloak non-compliance is not permitted. Some examples of emissions system tampering are O2 foolers, disabling or deactivating
    Check Engine Light (CEL) code indication,
    backdating ECU internals from OBD2 to OBD1, etc.

Paul, how does this effect you?

3) Street Touring: Per the STAC, the present ST rules wording regarding wings and spoilers only allows swapping like for like if
    the original device was not an OE option as configured by the factory i.e. a spoiler for a spoiler or a wing for a wing. If a vehicle
    is available without a wing or spoiler from the manufacturer then either can be installed.

I'm bummed about the clarification but glad it's finally clarified. I'd love to dump the big wing in favor of a spoiler
    McCall

Re: August Fasttrack

Originally posted by McCall

Paul, how does this effect you?

Exactly the same way it affects you.
    '11 Mustang GT / '95 Frankenpreza

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
    - Dr. Clarkson

Comment

What is a "wing"? That's a retarded clarification. You could go with a 1:18 scale wing from a model car and ditch your stock wing.

The rest regarding CELs is another "bark without bite" threat by a group that has a poor track record for upholding protests on areas that really matter.

Just keep cheatin, turbo boys...
      Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
      2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
      EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

How about a super low slung wing? Surely someone makes one that's only maybe 1/2" above the trunk lid and much less "boy racerish" looking?

Tommy
        2001 Jeep Wrangler
        2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins

BMW E36 DIY's:
        Front LCA Bushing Swap
        E36 Custom Cat Back
        M3 Limited Slip Diff Repair
        Diff Swap

Comment

Back to McCalls original post... I'm suspecting that 90% + of the available boost-buggy software updates would not pass smog. Would this be a correct assumption? I know that talking to a local competitor, his won't pass the 2 speed Colorado dyno/sniffer.

With this being said, did the SEB just kick the StEvos in the nads? When exactly does this rule take effect (or was it a clarification)?

Seems to me that if you don't get a CARB sticker with your chip / program, you don't pass go... which is 100% unenforceable (again).

Comment

Originally posted by John in Houston
            Back to McCalls original post... I'm suspecting that 90% + of the available boost-buggy software updates would not pass smog. Would this be a correct assumption? I know that talking to a local competitor, his won't pass the 2 speed Colorado dyno/sniffer.

With this being said, did the SEB just kick the StEvos in the nads? When exactly does this rule take effect (or was it a clarification)?

Seems to me that if you don't get a CARB sticker with your chip / program, you don't pass go... which is 100% unenforceable (again).
            Incorrect assumption. I passed Texas' test with ease when I got my new sticker last fall.

I also made an incorrect assumption, I thought Cobb defeated the PO420 cel (cat not working) in their base maps, this is not the case.

From Cobb:

"Base Map vs. Realtime Map Differences -

This is only a Realtime map. The stage2 base mapping contains some additional logic
            for improved performance and is HIGHLY recommended to be used if you plan on
            operating at a Stage2 or STU level. Although, to stay within SCCA rules a Married
            Stock Mode Base Map will need to be flashed for the base map so that none of the
            boost tables are changed from the factory setting.

Here is a list of tables (parameters) that may change when you select a Realtime map
            with your AccessPORT:
            - AVCS Intake Cam Advance
            - Closed Loop Modified Load
            - Closed Loop TPS
            - Fuel Injector Parameters (size and latency)
            - Intake Calibration (MAF Sensor)
            - Primary Fuel
            - Dynamic Advance (the ignition self-tuning table or what is sometimes referred to as a
            - Knock Correction table)
            - Primary Ignition
            - Rev Limiter

Features such as defeated CELs and some important Closed Loop tables are not changed
            with Realtime maps. This is why we highly recommend you running the Stage Base Map
            that best matches your car's modification. Running the Stock Mode Base Map with a
            Stage Realtime map over it will get you some of the improvements but no where NEAR
            what you would get if you were to run the proper Stage Base map."

So it looks like I ma legal afterall.

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
            - Dr. Clarkson

Comment

How do I get a CARB sticker for changing the A/F mixture and timing within the stock programing? In my case there is no piggy-back or anything. My tuner just went into the factory software and changed number values in the cells on the tables. I mean if anything I have leaned the car out from what it was from the factory so I should have better emissons right? Honestly, nothing in the tune on my car changed the CEL parameters so if my cat is indeed not up to snuff, I'd throw a CEL.

While Paul's tune sounds legit, I know there are a bunch of STis (Evos not so much) who are clearly outside of the regs right now. These are the guys who have installed O2 sims and/or changed the computer parameters and/or bought parts that move the O2 sensor out of the main exhaust stream. Any and all of those ain't going to cut the mustard in my mind.
              McCall

Comment

Originally posted by McCall
                Incorrect assumption. I passed Texas' test with ease when I got my new sticker last fall.
                I did say 90%.

How do I get a CARB sticker for changing the A/F mixture and timing within the stock programing?
                I got one for my car. Dinan chip

In my case there is no piggy-back or anything. My tuner just went into the factory software and changed number values in the cells on the tables. I mean if anything I have leaned the car out from what it was from the factory so I should have better emissons right? Honestly, nothing in the tune on my car changed the CEL parameters so if my cat is indeed not up to snuff, I'd throw a CEL.
                The CEL light is just used as an example. If you richen up your car or lean it out, you may or may not pass an emissions test. This is where I have my issue. How are they going to enforce this? They can't. Same issue we had in SM 4 years ago. Ended up dropping the rule.

I know there are a bunch of STis (Evos not so much) who are clearly outside of the regs right now... any and all of those ain't going to cut the mustard in my mind.
                And how does anyone enforce this? O2 sims are pretty easy to spot, but not illegal changes in the computer parameters. Heck, I could turn off air-injection and all that crap right now and no one would know without a big$ scanner.

Is this all in effect for 2007? If your CEL is on, are you automatically protestable?

Comment

Is this all in effect for 2007? If your CEL is on, are you automatically protestable?
                  Since this is a clarification, I think it is effective immediately.

Here's a fair summary of the implications from the Evo board/Doug Gill:

From discussions with SEB members and Doug Gill this weekend:

To be legal:

1) ECU must be in OBD ready state. (This means no resetting your ECU immediately before the event, changing battery, etc.)

2) No emissions-related CEL.

3) ECU cannot suppress CEL.

4) O2 cannot be pulled out of the exhaust stream.

5) O2 cannot be fooled in any other manner.
                  McCall

Comment

Crap... I'm out. Mine keeps throwing random O2 errors. I've replaced all 4 sensors, pulled the harness... even swapped EECs. I still get them.... but it blows clean on the dyno.

I think the appropriate word is 'PHUC!'.

FWIW, did he talk about how they would test? If there is no CEL, do they have probable cause? Just checking trophy spots? Only check if protested (which is what I beleive the answer will be).

Thanks Jason. FWIW, I was talking with Clayton Cobb this weekend... he asked if I knew you... I said no Witness protection plan and all

Comment

Maybe I should jump to BSP...

Then I could run BOOST!.

- Dr. Clarkson

Comment

And how does anyone enforce this? O2 sims are pretty easy to spot, but not illegal changes in the computer parameters. Heck, I could turn off air-injection and all that crap right now and no one would know without a big$ scanner.

Exactly. This is the SEB just trying to scare people into being what they consider "emissions legal". None of this is very enforcable.

Knowing the SEB it will probably harm the least-power-cheating cars the most (BMWs).

Comment

Originally posted by Paul
                          So it looks like I ma legal afterall.
                          That's funny. You don't HAVE a Cobb map, you have a tuned one from "your tuner". No telling what he's done.
                          Brian Hanchey
                          AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Originally posted by hancheyb
                            That's funny. You don't HAVE a Cobb map, you have a tuned one from "your tuner". No telling what he's done.
                            Dang... if ignorance is a valid excuse, sign me up!

Comment

How do I get a CARB sticker for changing the A/F mixture and timing within the stock programing?
                              Man, I want to live in a world where I can fool myself into thining my EVO can make 320 wtq with just air/fuel/spark tuning.

Paul and Jason keep shouting "Im legal!!" with tuning parameters completely unknown to them.

You guys crack me up.

Comment

Working...
                              X