Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheelin' at the Y.O. Ranch

Hey y'all,

This past weekend I joined some buddies and went to the Y.O. Ranch near Kerrville, TX (130 miles SW of Austin) for some wheeling put on by the Southwest Four Wheel Drive Assoc. Apparently, word of this event only made rounds among the Jeep folks as out of the 140+ vehicles that were there, only about a half dozen weren't Jeeps! Yours truly being one of them and the only fullsize out there except for a lifted H2 and one or two fullsize Wagoneers.

The Jeep folks were all very nice and we had a great time hanging out with them. My g/f and I went and we camped for the weekend. I haven't camped since college so that was an experience in itself. The ranch has showers, bathrooms, a pool, hot tub, and a really nice pavilion in addition to several old buildings several of which are well over 100 years old. Lots of history in this place! The ranch (40000 acres) is home to some exotic animals, cattle, etc. The exotics are there for viewing and in some cases, hunting. In addition, as you'd expect, they have tons of trails for wheeling, too.

I'd just finished installing gears (4.56's) and "drop-in" lockers into the truck and I also hadn't really wheeled it with the 35" tires until this weekend. To say the truck did great is an understatement! Our trail group was one of the more tame, but you wouldn't know it from some of the trails we did. Fortunately for the stockers, there were always bypasses for the more radical stuff. But some of these rock gardens were really challenging for them. We had GREAT guides, though, and no one suffered much body damage.

I pushed the truck harder than I'd planned and it did fantastic. Granted some of the trails were a little tight for the Bronco given that nearly everyone else was in a little Jeep, but we made it through nearly everything they did. And we made it through a lot of stuff many didn't try. Judging from what folks were saying to me, they were pleasantly surprised in the capabilities of the Bronco.

Here's a few random pics....

We had a blast at the Y.O. and we're looking forward to the next event like this! Oh, and for those wondering, yes the new sliders (look like nerf bars) got used. There was about a 2' drop off a rock in a creek bed that I had to go down before climbing my way out and it hit pretty good. Just scratched the paint on the bottom of the slider, but the truck's fine.

As is usually the case, the camera angles just don't do the climbs and obstacles justice, but suffice to say we had a few pucker moments. In the last pic above my g/f got out because she was a little spooked by it. Turns out I made it on the first try.

Here's the rest of the pics:
    http://www.reganracing.com/wheelin/yo9-29-06/index.html

I've got some videos to post, too. Stay tuned...

Tommy
    2001 Jeep Wrangler
    2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins

BMW E36 DIY's:
    Front LCA Bushing Swap
    E36 Custom Cat Back
    M3 Limited Slip Diff Repair
    Diff Swap

Re: Wheelin' at the Y.O. Ranch

For all videos, please right click and save as to help my bandwidth. And be patient with the downloads. My server's not lightning fast. Thanks!

Here's a short video of me making the climb my g/f was scared to ride with me on. It was pretty darn steep and I wasn't sure I'd make it since there were two relatively large ledges. The truck did just fine, though!

http://www.reganracing.com/wheelin/yo9-29-06/bronco.mpg

And here's my buddy trying to make it up the same climb. Watch the right rear tire and see if you can tell me what that loud pop is.

http://www.reganracing.com/wheelin/y...ordon_snap.mpg

This is a pretty slow video and most will find it boring, but I thought it was kind of cool. It was early on the first day and I was still getting accustomed to the truck and new mods. I was also concerned for how much tire rub I'd get as the suspension articulated so I took it very slowly. Near the end when I begin the climb you can really see the lockers working if you look closely. The right side tires both scratch for traction.

http://www.reganracing.com/wheelin/y...06/bronco1.mpg

Tommy
    Last edited by Tommy R; 10-04-2006, 10:53 PM.
    2001 Jeep Wrangler
    2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins

BMW E36 DIY's:
    Front LCA Bushing Swap
    E36 Custom Cat Back
    Diff Swap

Comment

O schnap!

Looks like fun

Comment

If you get up this way you crash with Kami and I. Lots of mild & wild trails all within 50 miles. Carnage Canyon is about 10 miles away
        Adam
        It's not so much the heat as it is the humidity

Comment

.... who won?
          Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
          2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
          EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

Originally posted by Fair!
            .... who won?
            Obviously not you, Mr. Second Place!!

Oh no, I di-int!

T
            2001 Jeep Wrangler
            2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins

BMW E36 DIY's:
            Front LCA Bushing Swap
            E36 Custom Cat Back
            Diff Swap

Comment

Originally posted by GoDog
              If you get up this way you crash with Kami and I. Lots of mild & wild trails all within 50 miles. Carnage Canyon is about 10 miles away
              Careful what you offer! Do y'all wheel the Jeep much? I had no idea going this slow could be so much fun.

T
              2001 Jeep Wrangler
              2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins

BMW E36 DIY's:
              Front LCA Bushing Swap
              E36 Custom Cat Back
              Diff Swap

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy R
                Careful what you offer! Do y'all wheel the Jeep much? I had no idea going this slow could be so much fun.

T
                I know what you mean about going slow being fun. 2 weeks ago we saw a bear and almost rolled the Jeep. I know it sounds crazy but we had the top off, there was some light snow in the air and sunny; felt about 50 degrees at 9000ft. When we got off the trail it was 10 miles (and one mile down) to Boulder where it was 80 degrees and hot co-eds everywhere.

We usually opt for the medium difficulty trails that have one or two hard core sections (Storm Mt is a good one). I haven't done as much this year, I lost my wheeling partner and my Jeep doesn't have a winch. Cell phone coverage can be spotty in the mountains and I'm not a big fan of walking back to town.
                Last edited by GoDog; 10-05-2006, 06:06 PM.
                Adam
                It's not so much the heat as it is the humidity

Comment

Tommy, what the heck were you doing in that last pic up there? Parking against a wall? That looks awesome. Maybe I should have had some fun while I had Toth's Jeep for a while. ;-P

And saw a bear and almost rolled the Jeep, Adam? Did it scare you that much? :-0
                  "When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." - Benjamin Franklin
                  http://www.duckfest.net

Comment

Originally posted by duck
                    Tommy, what the heck were you doing in that last pic up there? Parking against a wall?
                    That's this climb (NOTE: slow download)...

http://www.reganracing.com/wheelin/yo9-29-06/bronco.mpg

T
                    2001 Jeep Wrangler
                    2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins

BMW E36 DIY's:
                    Front LCA Bushing Swap
                    E36 Custom Cat Back
                    Diff Swap

Comment

damn Tommy.. that looks SUPER fun! Good job! Bronco looks great!

Im gonna send some of these pics to Daniel.

maybe he will actually take his out sometime.
                      99 AW M3

Comment

Working...
                      X