E46 Brakes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E46 Brakes

I am planning on helping a friend do a brake job on his E46 and wanted to make sure that I don't need any special tools that I don't have. Also, if you have any insight on any funny tricks I should know.
    Thanks
    Adam
    It's not so much the heat as it is the humidity

Re: E46 Brakes

ewww brakes.. I seem to have lots of recent experience with e36 and e46 brakes.

Only special tool I recommend is a set of flared wrenches so that you dont screw the bleeder valve like I did.

Other then that, if your doing the rotors, you will need an allen wrench.
    99 AW M3

Comment

Yup... an assortment of metric wrenches, some flare wrenches for the bleed screws, a rubber mallet* and metric allen wrenches*.

*only if changing rotors

This would be an excellent time to install a set of Vorshlag / Motor-Force studs!

Comment

Originally posted by John in Houston
        This would be an excellent time to install a set of Vorshlag / Motor-Force studs!

agreed! I love my studs
        99 AW M3

Comment

The only tricky thing they haven't mentioned above is the anti-vibration calmpy thingie. It's a little piece of stamped steel that holds the pads against the disk so they don't vibrate/squeal (this doesn't work on Hanchey's super squeaky Hawk HP+ ads!).

It's a little tricky getting on-off. Basically, pry it off with a screw driver (let it fly!) and get it back on with a some pliers and a hammer. Muscle!
          Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
          2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
          EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

Originally posted by John in Houston
            He said he was thinking about getting the Motor-Force/Vorshlag stud kit...
            But only if he can get Vorshlag stickers with it.

He also found a Turner rotor/pad
            $260 stock brake kit (pads, rotors, sensors, set screws and fluid) + $25 pad upgrade (axxis ultimate) + $110 upgrade to cross drilled rotors. And possibly getting the stainless brake lines $89. Any thoughts on whether that's a good deal or is there a better one.
            Last edited by GoDog; 04-14-2006, 12:12 PM.
            Adam
            It's not so much the heat as it is the humidity

Comment

Originally posted by GoDog

$260 stock brake kit (pads, rotors, sensors, set screws and fluid) + $25 pad upgrade (axxis ultimate) + $110 upgrade to cross drilled rotors. And possibly getting the stainless brake lines $89. Any thoughts on whether that's a good deal or is there a better one.
              I didnt get any cool stickers?! maybe with the camber plates coming soon?

Helmet looks boring with no stickers
              99 AW M3

Comment

Originally posted by GoDog

Mmm... I'd try to talk him out of the $110 cross-drilled craziness. This is a bling-only option that will both reduce rotor life and do absolutely nothing for braking performance (this trick was usefull back in the stone ages when performance brake pads "degassed"; modern brake pads haven't degassed in 15+ years). Cross drilling also is not legal for Stock or SP classes - but is legal in the blingeriffic ST category

The ss brake lines are also kinda blingy and unnecessary, and will make for a messy and lengthy bleeding procedure that would otherwise not be needed (fun with ABS Bleeding 101). But still, if someone gave me SS lines "I wouldn't kick 'em outta bed". The obvious replacement flex brake line when needed.

When I bought rotors and pads for the last 2 BMWs I did brakes on (my E39 540 and David's E39 530) I went with a smaller company that advertises on bimmerforums.com, and their deals were better than from Turner (who also carries very good parts, and has a great online store/options, but can be pricey). I forget their name... "performance parts group" or something? I called them to check on the order and got the owner and he bent over backwards to fix something. They have a little yahoo e-store front and little else. They worked great for me on 2 different BMW brake repair jobs. Have also used bimmer-zone and the others for these types of parts, but Turner and PPG both know BMW brakes very well (better than some random import car repair parts reseller).

Don't forget to get the BMW brake pad wears sensors! This little $11-12 sensor (one located on each end of the car, like on the RF and LR calipers) wears out when the pads wear down and needs to be replaced. When it wears down, it lights a warning light on the dash to tell you your pads are low. Over time this plastic/metal sensor gets brittle (sitting next to brakes that can reach 800-1000'F will do that to plastic, amazingly) and it can break during a pad change. So, even if the "low brake pad" warning light isn't on, it might still be wise to buy replacement sensor(s). With the SS brake line change and subsequent flushing (and reflushing), I'd also order 2 qts/liters of brake fluid. $10/per from PPG for the "racing blue" stuff.

stickers: We will add a check box to the shopping cart soon that asks if a customer wants a "vorshlag.com" sticker with an order. Thanks to someone on this list who shall remain nameless (otherwise he'll be swamped with free/cheap sticker requests!) we have a LOT of vorshlag stickers now and he's making us some BIG ones for the Tour.
                Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
                2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
                EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

Originally posted by Fair!
                  The ss brake lines are also kinda blingy and unnecessary, and will make for a messy and lengthy bleeding procedure that would otherwise not be needed (fun with ABS Bleeding 101). But still, if someone gave me SS lines "I wouldn't kick 'em outta bed". The obvious replacement flex brake line when needed.
                  I disagree.. I replaced my old stock lines with SS lines and I LOVE the feel... The pedal is much more firm and doesnt give at all. There is a definent better brake feel with these.. imo
                  99 AW M3

Comment

Better feel is the main advantage of ss brake lines. No improvement in stopping distances, but feel is important. Not important enough for me to spend $130-150 on them though.
                    -Sean Martin
                    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

No improvement in stopping distances, BUT now I'm not worrying about my old rubber flex lines bursting when under hard braking..
                      99 AW M3

Comment

Working...
                      X