body, carburetor, compressor inlet, or intake manifold, whichever
    comes first. The existing structure of the car may not be
    modified for the passage of ducting from the air cleaner to the
    engine inlet. Holes may be drilled for mounting. Emissions or
    engine management components in the air intake system, such
    as a PCV valve, or mass airflow sensor, may not be removed,
    modified, or replaced, and must retain their original function
    along the flow path.

I think means the sensor and not the sensor housing.

'11 Mustang GT / '95 Frankenpreza

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
    - Dr. Clarkson

Re: MAF sensor rule question

That would be "modifying" it, IMO. You guys are splitting hairs on this one. I just spent too many hours and money going BACK to a stock HFM. You bet I'm going to be support strict observation of the rule. SCCA will say by "sensor" they mean the whole thing, not just the wire.
    Brian Hanchey
    AST Suspension - USA

Comment

While I agree that you should enforce the rules, I would hope that you (Brian) would also be campaigning to get rid of this stupid rule.

Comment

Originally posted by John in Houston
        While I agree that you should enforce the rules, I would hope that you (Brian) would also be campaigning to get rid of this stupid rule.
        I figured it was way too late for that. They got one letter when it was proposed.
        Brian Hanchey
        AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Originally posted by John in Houston
          Agreed. Us NA guys need all the help we can get.

The STi and RX8 both have the MAF integrated into the airbox but the sensor itself unbolts from that housing. So when you do a "cold-air" system, you basically replace housing of the MAF but not the sensor itself. I believe in the case of the BMW, the whole thing, including the sensor, is replaced with an aftermarket unit. So in the case of the RX8 and STi, I can see where it could be legal. It's a grey issue.

Now, I know Hollis made a post about this and the SEB's intent. Does anyone have it?
          McCall

Comment

When an RX8 or a STI does a cold air, is the housing that the MAF sensor is in, bigger? If so, I would think the SCCA would have a problem with that.
            Brian Hanchey
            AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Originally posted by hancheyb
              When an RX8 or a STI does a cold air, is the housing that the MAF sensor is in, bigger? If so, I would think the SCCA would have a problem with that.
              I have to verify on the RX8, but with the subbie I know it's the same I.D. The subbie guys were saying something about it messes with the ECM if you change it.
              McCall

Comment

No, it is the same ID as factory. Otherwise you run into all kinds of tuning problems.

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
                - Dr. Clarkson

Comment

Originally posted by Paul
                  No, it is the same ID as factory. Otherwise you run into all kinds of tuning problems.
                  Only if you don't change the computer programming to account for the new diameter.
                  Brian Hanchey
                  AST Suspension - USA

Comment

A Mass Air Flow Sensor is more than just the "hot wire" electronic portion - it also includes the calibrated sensor housing. If you change the housing, you are modifying the MAF. We got a VERY clear ruling on this from Andy Hollis.

It doesn't matter if your aftermarket MAF housing "is the same diameter as stock", it's an aftermarket MAF housing. Therefore ALL of the Subies with these aftermarket housings are illegal. Sorry, Charlie.

edit: Feel free to leave these in place! Just making it easier.

It sucks, we fought this ruling "clarification", but it's just the way things are for now. note: changing the BMW MAF can include the housing + sensor or just the housing. The sensor electronics can be removed from anything.
                    Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
                    2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
                    EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

Originally posted by Fair!
                      A Mass Air Flow Sensor is more than just the "hot wire" electronic portion - it also includes the calibrated sensor housing. If you change the housing, you are modifying the MAF. We got a VERY clear ruling on this from Andy Hollis.

It doesn't matter if your aftermarket MAF housing "is the same diameter as stock", it's an aftermarket MAF housing. Therefore ALL of the Subies with these aftermarket housings are illegal. Sorry, Charlie.

edit: Feel free to leave these in place! Just making it easier.

It sucks, we fought this ruling "clarification", but it's just the way things are for now. note: changing the BMW MAF can include the housing + sensor or just the housing. The sensor electronics can be removed from anything.
                      Thanks Dr. Terry for that ruling "clarification". Unfortunetly it is incorrect information according to Doug Gill. The ruling refers to the sensor, not the housing.

From Henry Lin:

"I did some digging and exchanged a couple of emails with Doug Gill. The
                      consensus we came to is if the MAF sensor is available as a separate part#
                      from the "housing", the "housing" is not considered a part of the MAF
                      sensor.

I verified with the dealerships that the MAF sensor is a separate part for
                      the STi, the EVO, and RX-8. The SRT-4 uses a MAP sensor so it's not
                      applicable.

Now on the E36 M3, the MAF sensor is not a separate part. It's listed with
                      the "housing" as an assembly with one part number. I called BMW of Dallas
                      and Classic and verified this. Here's a parts diagram I found online,
                      http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BF93&mospid=47486&btnr=13_0381
                      &hg=13&fg=15

Now, that's not to say the E36 guys can't use an aftermarket intake. I did
                      a quick search and all of the intakes I found ends at the stock MAF
                      assembly.

I asked Doug to pass all of this along to the STAC/SEB for an official
                      clarification.

If someone protests you this weekend at the Pro, use the above as an example
                      for your agreement. And if you have a fax number, give Chris F. a call and
                      ask him to fax you the Air Cleaner & Element parts diagram."

ps: Any protests will be met with vigor. And I am keeping the $50 bucks too (to be spent on booze and food for all of us)!

pps: email is just like the internet, if you read it there it must be true.
                      Last edited by Paul; 04-05-2006, 02:06 PM.

- Dr. Clarkson

Comment

I don't think that is really the intent of the rule. Proving the sensor is a separate item means nothing to me. The intent is that if you get a BIGGER opening, newer opening, smoother opening regardless of diameter, you're getting a performance advantage.

I hate this stupid rule anyway. I had to backout things on my car and I'm still not done with it. It has cost me more to do the takeback than just keeping it. Silly. I might protest just to prove how stupid this rule is! Win or lose the protest, I want the rule fixed.
                        Brian Hanchey
                        AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Ok, I just spend about 30-45 minutes on the SCCA forums trying to find the rule clarification on the MAF. Can some one post the actually rule change as well as Andy's or the SEB's wording?
                          McCall

Comment

I don't think that is really the intent of the rule. Proving the sensor is a separate item means nothing to me. The intent is that if you get a BIGGER opening, newer opening, smoother opening regardless of diameter, you're getting a performance advantage.

I hate this stupid rule anyway. I had to backout things on my car and I'm still not done with it. It has cost me more to do the takeback than just keeping it. Silly. I might protest just to prove how stupid this rule is! Win or lose the protest, I want the rule fixed.
                            I agree with this. You should protest so that the STAC and SEB or whoever has to make a commitment regarding this. I also think that if you protest this you should protest the ECU for the very same reason.

- Dr. Clarkson

Comment

Originally posted by Paul
                              I agree with this. You should protest so that the STAC and SEB or whoever has to make a commitment regarding this. I also think that if you protest this you should protest the ECU for the very same reason.
                              What ECU issue? Piggybacks or the fact you can adjust boost?
                              Brian Hanchey
                              AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Working...
                              X