HF Tire Trailer MODS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HF Tire Trailer MODS

I thought I had posted pics of the tire trailer as I was building it... but I can't find the thread. No matter, here it is again.

I started with the standard <$200 Harbor Freight tire trailer (that I bought from Justin) and added tubular steel mounts for a lockable box on the back (this thing contains NO WOOD). Then that morphed into added storage rack for an E-Z-Up tent. And the ramps for our scales. Which now doubles as a stand for vertical trailer storage. Then I added a lockable tire rack...

It's usably done as of now, all it needs is lock mounts for the tire rack, paint on all of the new steel and remounting of the trailer lights + license plate. I still need to make storage for a 5 gallon fuel jug, our scales, and the spare trailer tire...

Why spend so much time on tire trailer if I have a truck now, you ask? Well, we have a truck but no car trailer... and I wouldn't want to tow to local events anyway (overkill). This tire trailer will haul all that we need without (hopefully) loading up the inside of the RX8 too much. Should debut at the next event.
    Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
    2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
    EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Re: HF Tire Trailer MODS

In case you're wondering, the tires are held onto the rack with this top piece:

Which slides down over the base (nested 1.25 sq top tubes over 1" sq base tubes)...

This is at full height, right before the top portion would slide off the base:

Assembled:

I'm going to either secure the top to the bottom with padlocks and pins or come-alongs with locks. If I drill it for pins I would need to add several sets for differing tire heights, and even then it wouldn't stay tight... so I'm thinking something adjustable and lockable. Tommy had a set of come-alongs with locks on his tire rack. Might try that...
    Last edited by Fair!; 03-20-2006, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Nice!

Where are you going to relocate the lights/license plate? And why, because of the EZ-Up blocking them?

Off-topic, what kind of truck did you buy?

Comment

For some reason I saw that and envisioned you locking them like adjustable barbell heights on a weight bench... this is a bad picture, but same idea...

Or something like this:

I'll post up the Vette Tire Trailer pics this week, four 315's babyeeee!!! I can only get THREE across hehehehehe
        Toth: "I would sue Duck, but I don't know what I would do with 3 pennies and a hoopty GTO."
        Me: "I never finish anyth..."

Comment

Originally posted by Fair!

Why spend so much time on tire trailer if I have a truck now, you ask? Well, we have a truck but no car trailer...
          Huh?? New thread needed!! What truck ? Ford Lightning ?
          Toth: "I would sue Duck, but I don't know what I would do with 3 pennies and a hoopty GTO."
          Me: "I never finish anyth..."

Comment

Originally posted by Nick
            Nice!

Where are you going to relocate the lights/license plate? And why, because of the EZ-Up blocking them?
            Yes, the EZ-Up would block the lights and plate. I'm not sure where to mount them yet. I hate having the plate way out on the side, as I have scraped my leg on more than a few of these HF trailers.

I will need to stare at it for a few minutes and clamp the lights on the fully loaded trailer, and see where they're visible.

Originally posted by Nick
            Off-topic, what kind of truck did you buy?
            I bought Teucci's old truck (that he kindly delivered to Dallas on Friday): a 2002 Chevy 1500HD (3/4 ton), 6.0L, automatic, crew cab, LT, 65K miles. Imagine McCall's truck, but white, without 4WS, and not as pretty. The interior is pretty different (older design), but it's virtually the same truck other than the noted differences above.

I like it, other than the fact that I just purchased my first $58 tank of gas!?! Will post more about this in another thread... yes, it's freaky that -I- bought a truck, my first, much less a huge truck. ??? We need a truck more times than I can count, and this was a deal I just couldn't pass up. It could tow a car, haul landscaping supplies (we'll be doing that for the better part of a year), carry home Lowe's/Home Depot purchases (lots of that coming up when we finish out the garage, media room, etc), help with the upcoming move, haul parts/tires/wheels, carry 4 people with more room than the RX8, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Dean!
              For some reason I saw that and envisioned you locking them like adjustable barbell heights on a weight bench... this is a bad picture, but same idea...

Exactly what I might do, yes. You're the first one to "see it" correctly. Still, this might not work as well as a come-along would, for tightening and adjustability (for different tire heights).

Originally posted by Dean!
              I'll post up the Vette Tire Trailer pics this week, four 315's babyeeee!!! I can only get THREE across hehehehehe
              Yes, we've never seen it - take some pics and post em! I designed the tire rack on mine for 4 tires of 305mm section width. If I end up with a car needing more tire than that, well, I'll have bigger problems.

Comment

Exactly what I might do, yes. You're the first one to "see it" correctly. Still, this might not work as well as a come-along would, for tightening and adjustability (for different tire heights).
                I think the pin idea will work fine. I mean the tires are very contained so even if they were a bit loose, they're not going anywhere.
                McCall

Comment

I will need to stare at it for a few minutes and clamp the lights on the fully loaded trailer, and see where they're visible.
                  Cool. I've been thinking about relocating my lights too, not because they're blocked, just because they stick out so damn much and they'll catch on something when I'm rolling it around my tiny garage (ditto for the honkin' license plate/frame).

Congrats on the truck!

Comment

Nice!
                    2001 Jeep Wrangler
                    2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins

BMW E36 DIY's:
                    Front LCA Bushing Swap
                    E36 Custom Cat Back
                    M3 Limited Slip Diff Repair
                    Diff Swap

Comment

Originally posted by McCall
                      I think the pin idea will work fine. I mean the tires are very contained so even if they were a bit loose, they're not going anywhere.
                      Unless someone figures out they can let the air out of the tires and possibly slip them though that way.

EDIT: Just looked at the pics again, and as long as you drill the holes where the rack is now, those wheels are secure. Just can't be too loose.
                      '05 STi
                      Obfuscation usually requires a lot more words than if you simply focus on fundamental principles, so I’m not at all surprised by the loquaciousness of liberals.

Comment

Working...
                      X