Houston Race Weekend

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Houston Race Weekend

Matteucci and I were talking the other day about a race weekend in Houston. Let's get some people together and do a Kart Zone or Track 21 day then go out to HRP for some drag racing. If we do this on the 5th, the Houston Region auto-x is on the 6th. I'm already registered for the auto-x and will check on the the track dates for HRP and karting. I wanted to get some feedback to see if there were any takers...
    Gary Hood

Houston Race Weekend

Just found out that test and tune is on Friday night. Gates open at 5pm and staging lanes close at 10:45. Houston Indoor Karting (formerly KartZone) says that Saturday is available after noon.
    Gary Hood

Comment

Houston Race Weekend

I'm in. I gotta get wheels/tires for the C6 fast!
      Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
      2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
      EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

Houston Race Weekend

Try this website for Track 21. Check the prices, etc. and post your thoughts.
        http://www.track21.info/

I've heard that the no-bumping policy is very strict! FAIR take note!
        Gary Hood

Comment

Houston Race Weekend

You SO don't want me to show up.
          Brian Hanchey
          AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Houston Race Weekend

Bring that smack kart boyee! Some of these houston boyz will smack you down. Matteucci and Ramey go for BLOOD.

Oh wait... no way you'd get a 2 day kitchen pass...

Comment

Houston Race Weekend

I wouldn't get a two pass so we'll leave it at that. I've raced against national kart champs so I'll put my kart skilz up against Teucci and Ramey. Sure they've raced REAL cars, who cares??? I won't put my autox skillz against them though. This is fun, since it will never happen I can talk all sorts of sh!t. hehe
              Brian Hanchey
              AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Houston Race Weekend

So who do you think will show? I know that Fair is planning on coming down. Hanchey, save up those passes... DUCK! I'm callin' you out!
                DEAN! Don't be a no-show! Jason, you KNOW you want to come down. Tommy! You live a little (a LOT) closer than Fair does. You ain't got no 'scuse. Bryan already said he'd go. Chris needs little provocation to step up. WHO ELSE?!
                Gary Hood

Comment

Houston Race Weekend

I'm in if I'm in town when you decide to get together. Keep me posted.

Mike McClure

Comment

Houston Race Weekend

Oh my GOD!!! He's alive?! Mike, how the heck are you?!! Where the heck are you, for that matter. Haven't heard from you in a coon's age. Go ahead and make plans, even if it's just a few of us. Friday night drag racing at HRP, Saturday afternoon kart racing at either Track 21 or Houston Indoor Karting, then auto-x on Sunday at Gulf Greyhound park. Be aware that if you want to auto-x, you need to register on-line or be there in the morning (7:30am) to get signed up. I'm running the afternoon class but can change to a morning X-class if everybody wants to leave early.
                    Gary Hood

Comment

Houston Race Weekend

Originally posted by G-Man
                      Oh my GOD!!! He's alive?! Mike, how the heck are you?!! Where the heck are you, for that matter. Haven't heard from you in a coon's age.
                      I'm doing great. I just don't have a running autocross car at the moment and it seems no one likes to be beat by a co-driver in their own car, so I haven't been to any races recently

Someone offer me a co-drive (I'll pay tires expenses) and I'll actually show up to the autocross

Gary, send me an email: mikemc (at) pobox.com and I will get you my contact info.

Mike

Comment

Houston Race Weekend

Just got approval from Big Boss (amy) to come down to Houston this weekend. I'll be in the C6 and flying solo. Gonna head down Friday afternoon (trying to leave work as early as possible) and stop at HRP to run the C6. Looking at their schedule...

http://www.houstonraceway.com/cal2000/hr032005.htm

Friday night is "Street Night". Drivers are $15, gates open at 5 pm and staging lanes close at 10:45 pm. I'll have to leave work pretty dang early to pull that off. Saturday is gonna be checking out some old hang outs and of course we have to do some karting (Gary, Teucci and Ramey wanna go - anyone else?)... either Track21 or Houston Indoor Karting.

http://www.track21houston.com/track.php or http://www.worldkarts.com/tracks/hou...eneralinfo.asp

Any preference on locations or times?

Sunday is the Houston SCCA auto-x down at the dog track. I need to pre-reg now for X-class so I can run in the morning... and get creamed on street tires. I got nothin else.

Anyone else going to the auto-x, or want to join us for drag racing Friday night or karting Saturday?

Comment

Houston Race Weekend

I'll be out at the auto-x on Sunday. Not sure if I can make the other planned events (Karting and HRP).

Comment

Houston Race Weekend

Originally posted by John in Houston
                            I'll be out at the auto-x on Sunday. Not sure if I can make the other planned events (Karting and HRP).
                            http://www.dlbracing.com/Clubs/housc...x?EventID=1424

I just entered. I am running "X" so I could run in the morning. Looks like 27 entries! Ouch, that's gonna be an ego buster.

Friday HRP includes: Gary Hood GTO, Chris Ramey Z06, our C6... and???? Bring some BMWs, people!

Comment

Houston Race Weekend

WOW What a weekend of racing!

Friday, left work at noon, drove down to Koenig's shop. Got there in 3.5 hours. Avg speed of 82 mph. Cruise set to 100 for long stretches, 145 mph blast once, just after passing some slow poke, and it wasn't even breathing hard. The thing has got some pull! I can see how it does 186 mph.

Picked up Koenig and Gary and went to HRP. Ramey was already there (with McClure in tow), making hot laps, and had dipped into the 12.0@117 range. He has run faster on previous nights - 11.98@118.5, in a stock 2003 Z06 on street tires. One of his buddy's Z06s runs 11.70s on drag radials. There were dozens of people (drag racers and autocrossers) telling me "that's normal for those cars." I had NO idea the Z06 could run 11's... the fagazine drivers get 12.4's. He was cutting 1.9 sixties on the factory tires.

I got 5 or 6 runs, and my best was a 12.8@112.9mph. 2.1 sixties, with either a massive bog (and then it falls on its face) or tires spin and axle hop. I drove Ramey's Z06 and it launched a LOT better, but missed 4th (doh!) and still ran a 13.0@108 in it. I weighed his car with no gas = 3048 lbs. The C6 was 3155 with about 3 gallons.

Gary's GTO rolled up to the scales and showed 3950! "Gary, get out of the car now!" With him out it was exactly 3750 lbs and he ran a best of 13.4@107 on some old Kumhos. Sounded like a 10 second car tho! The massive curb weight (which matched the Redwood published figures to the pound) scared Gary and he is going to... (drum roll please)... buy a used C5 instead.

After a late night at Chuy's, Gary let me crash at his pad. Went to the new Track21 indoor karting center (4 tracks!) and met McClure and Ramey there. Me, Gary, his GF Liz, and Mike did three 10 minute sessions and Ramey joined us for the last one. Karts were fast and the un-polished concrete had GRIP! Had to be pulling 1.5 Gs, cause I'm SO SORE. You'd get out and your hands would be shaking... it was a blast. Gotta find one up here. The ultimate equalizer test of driving skillz.

Saturday evening I went to Koenig's shop and saw all manner of motors and cars. These LS1's have gotten FAST. Lots of 6.0L iron block build-ups, with 408 strokers being very common. He was building 4 at once, including some aluminum blocked ones. The Darton (sp?) stroker aluminum block is PIMP, but at $3K a bit pricey. It'll support 450 inches with a 4.125" bore, I believe. Less than half the price of the C5-R/LS7 block with the same bore.

The LS1 scene is huge down there. 10, 9, 8 second "street" cars with LS1 power. and the V8 boys have found turbocharging. Whoa, yea. There was a boosted 3rd gen at HRP running 6.90s! like 2200 rwhp. HPE's full weight 3300 pound turbo LT1 4th gen ran some mid 8's a few weeks back, too. I think it made 1800 rwhp? That block is not long for this earth!

Anyway, I strapped the C6 on the DynoJet and it put down an uncorrected 358 rwhp, 357 rwtq. The weather station (for SAE correction) was out, but the air was about 1400 feet (low pressure, not the best) and temps were 67'F. It was also raining outside, so humidty was at or near 100%. Numbers would have corrected up slightly or been almost no correction. I'll go to Quik Kar and re-dyno it soon to back up the numbers. Ramey's Z06 (and many others) dynoed at 355 rwhp. Note: never try to drive a car strapped to a dyno with the traction control or parking brake ON. Don't ask me why.

It rained some saturday night and was sprinkling then raining hard Sunday morning, but we went down the the Dog Track anyway. Loading the GTO (on bald VictoRacers) onto Garys trailer at 6 am was LOUD. Woke the dead. That boy needs mufflers. It stopped raining south of town but we still had just a damp surface and sprinkles for our 4 runs, then it rained steady throughout the day, off and on. What a blast! the C6 was a hoot and put down some impressive times, considering the street tires and slick pavement.

Traction control and Active Handling = BELETED! Sure, the yaw was abot 45 degrees, but it worked. Fun 60 second course with lots of off camber stuff. I was about 1.2 seconds behind Roger's S2000 on 710s and 1.5 behind Mike Lowe's boosted Miata SM2 car on 710s. Everybody had new Kumho 710s! These things are gumballs, and have to wear much worse than before. Hoosier is supposed to have yet another, even softer tire out by April. Oiy! The Tire Wars have got to STOP.

I ran in their "X" class so I could choose to run in either the morning or afternoon event (they have so many people show up they run 2 events on a Sunday). I don't know what to do about tires for this car. Probably still just buy Z06 wheels and run it in SS or ASP on something cheap and stickey. I still need lots more seat time to get the rust out of my driving. There were 4-5 SM2 cars running, including Lowe and Sen-Roy and a cammed Z06 on 17x11/18x11s.

Drove back in the rain, 290 miles from Gulf Greyhound Park to McCall's house, 4 hours 10 minutes with traffic on both ends. Tired, sore, but brain was buzzing form the weekend.

I have tons of pictures, videos (dyno, HRP, autocross) to post and dyno sheets and timeslips to scan and upload. More soon!

Comment

Working...
                              X