Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2006 Solo Nationals

Originally posted by McCall
    As of this morning, we have 45 total STUers signed up for Nationals. Good googley moogalley!!!

That's it. The seats are definitely going in!
    That car doesn't need seats, it needs tuning.
    Brian Hanchey
    AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Originally posted by hancheyb
      That car doesn't need seats, it needs tuning.
      I hear ya brother. I think I have a good idea of what I want to do with the toe settings and along with that, new tires, and some weight reduction I think that's the best car I can bring to Nationals this year. If we keep the car we might explore coil-over options but right now I'll just have to stick with the MS springs and Konis.

PS- seat brackets are on order.
      McCall

Comment

Koni singles? Where are they set? In my limited seat time, it felt like it could use a lot more spring and damping.

Brian

Comment

What about mine? How did it feel?
          '11 Mustang GT / '95 Frankenpreza

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
          - Dr. Clarkson

Comment

Originally posted by bfitz
            Koni singles? Where are they set? In my limited seat time, it felt like it could use a lot more spring and damping.

Brian
            Yep, Koni singles. There are no "off the shelf" DAs available for the RX8. Sipe had some built for his car but he dumped about $4500 into them. As far as the settings, the fronts were set at about 2 turns when you drove it and I turned them up from there to full stiff and I guess it felt a little better. The rears are at 50% and in order to adjust them I have to remove the spring set-up from the car, take them apart from the springs, and then push in and turn to adjust them. Hence, it's not an easy thing to do just to "try" something. As far as the springs, they are the MazdaSpeed units and are the stiffest stock-type coil spring you can get for the car. If I want to go stiffer, I'd have to convert to coil-overs.

I guess the next step for next year would be to send the fronts off to Koni to have them re-valved but at that point I might just buy a Vorshlag coil-over kit
            McCall

Comment

I guess my point was that you don't know if you're going to keep it and you're spending money on seat brackets. Seats will not gain you .05s, but working on the suspension could gain you 0.5s. I just don't think the seats are worth your time. But I know you're out of suspension options till after Nationals.
              Brian Hanchey
              AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Paul, your car also felt a bit soft. Turn-in is good, but I believe it would be easier to control if it were stiffer overall. I've watched many WRX's over the years, and the fast ones all seem to stay VERY flat -- flatter than most cars.

Under power, it pushes badly, or I need to re-learn how to drive a turbo AWD package. It seems that with the 65/35 torque split and front LSD, it should turn better under power. Fixing that (not sure how) would make a HUGE difference for me.

And while I'm at it:

STU M3 - It felt great. The only thing I can think of is that I kept losing the rear end just a bit in the slalom. Maybe a slight shock change if you're feeling the same thing...

Whitey - Too much slush in the drivetrain! Other than that, the suspension was impressive. It was super-easy to drive.

Thanks to all for letting me drive your cars. I had a great time!

Brian
                Last edited by hancheyb; 08-29-2006, 08:35 AM.

Comment

I guess my point was that you don't know if you're going to keep it and you're spending money on seat brackets. Seats will not gain you .05s, but working on the suspension could gain you 0.5s. I just don't think the seats are worth your time. But I know you're out of suspension options till after Nationals.
                  Agreed but the brackets weren't "that" expensive (relative to coil-overs for example) and going from 70lbs seats to 21lb seats will make a difference. I'm also hopeful a few toe settings will help along with the badly needed new tires.

Also, just because we talk about buying a new car, there's nothing imminent so the RX8 will be around for a while still. Heck, if we could get competive and with the possible class acceptance of STU because of great turnout, I'm more motivated to get the car "right" and keep it. It really is a nice car and MeL does love it.
                  McCall

Comment

Originally posted by bfitz
                    Paul, your car also felt a bit soft. Turn-in is good, but I believe it would be easier to control if it were stiffer overall. I've watched many WRX's over the years, and the fast ones all seem to stay VERY flat -- flatter than most cars.

Under power, it pushes badly, or I need to re-learn how to drive a turbo AWD package. It seems that with the 65/35 torque split and front LSD, it should turn better under power. Fixing that (not sure how) would make a HUGE difference for me.

And while I'm at it:

STU M3 - It felt great. The only thing I can think of is that I kept losing the rear end just a bit in the slalom. Maybe a slight shock change if you're feeling the same thing...

Whitey - Too much slush in the drivetrain! Other than that, the suspension was impressive. It was super-easy to drive.

Thanks to all for letting me drive your cars. I had a great time!

Brian
                    I didn't feel it in the slalom but I did feel it in places. I need to see where it is set now. Fair and Teucci drove it one weekend and tweaked things. MW is always loose IMO so it might be "just right" on new asphalt.
                    Brian Hanchey
                    AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Sunday Topeka Test and Tune registration is open NOW! $25
                      Go to scca.com
                      Sign in
                      Click Reistration and sign up
                      Adam
                      It's not so much the heat as it is the humidity

Comment

Jeremy and I are both going.
                        '11 Mustang GT / '95 Frankenpreza

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
                        - Dr. Clarkson

Comment

Originally posted by Paul
                          Jeremy and I are both going.
                          MeL and I will be there as well. Adam, what day are you getting in again?

What needs to be done for grid spaces?
                          McCall

Comment

I guess I'll go over on Saturday
                            Adam
                            It's not so much the heat as it is the humidity

Comment

Mike Neary is da man!

http://sccaforums.com/pickthewinners...-solo.aspx#STU

What is up with Sipe in 2nd place there? He must have been talking it up on the RX-8 boards.
                              Brian Hanchey
                              AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Mike Neary is da man!

http://sccaforums.com/pickthewinners...-solo.aspx#STU

What is up with Sipe in 2nd place there? He must have been talking it up on the RX-8 boards.
                                Hey I got a vote and it wasn't even me or MeL voting for me!

I just voted and gave Jeremy Michael Johnson some props
                                McCall

Comment

Working...
                                X