Brandon's STi @ Divisionals

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brandon's STi @ Divisionals

I spoke with Jarrad from PDX tuning (he will tune my car next week). I mentioned to him about Brandon's car laying 20' of rubber down and that we thought he was cheating. I also mentioned he was runing a UTEC for his engine managment. Jarrad said that the UTEC has lunch control and that a stock STi can light up the tires easily using it. So we might be wrong about him.
    '11 Mustang GT / '95 Frankenpreza

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
    - Dr. Clarkson

Launch control is illegal.
    Brian Hanchey
    AST Suspension - USA

Comment

How would launch control help him spin the tires for 20 feet? Makes no sense to me.

T
      2001 Jeep Wrangler
      2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins

BMW E36 DIY's:
      Front LCA Bushing Swap
      E36 Custom Cat Back
      M3 Limited Slip Diff Repair
      Diff Swap

Comment

The internet said so. Hell, all I know is I saw one with launch control running 1.8 60' in POURING rain. I don't think a mortal could do dat.
        Brian Hanchey
        AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Launch control and traction control are what Hyman has on his Supra. You can't lay 20' of rubber with that thing turned on... virtually impossible. Now, if you turn it off... that thing will lay 2 patches thicker than....

Comment

Let me rephrase the term "launch control" into language that might better convey what I was trying to explain. The UTEC piggyback hardware allows for a two step rev-limiter. That means when the clutch is depressed a lower rpm rev-limiter is activated at say 6000rpm. That lets you floor the gas prior to launch and just let out the cluch quickly to get a consistent launch under full power.

Now, that we all understand that "launch control" (not traction control) is just a two step limiter. Guess what? Evo 8's come with it from the factory! As for leaving 20' of rubber... if you can launch the car under boost, it is gonna light up the tires.

BTW, launch control (two step limiters) have been around in drag racing for at least 20 years.

Since ignition is open I see no reason why a UTEC would be illegal (for the rev limiter), nor would an MSD ignition.

http://www.msdignition.com/rpm_5.htm
            Last edited by Paul; 10-07-2005, 08:53 PM.
            '11 Mustang GT / '95 Frankenpreza

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
            - Dr. Clarkson

Comment

Working...
            X