Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First the brakes, then everything else...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First the brakes, then everything else...

Thanks to all of the input you guys gave GoDog to help me do the brake job on my E46 323Ci. For some reason, I was always intimidated by brakes, but now I feel stupid for thinking that way. It wasn't difficult at all.

AND I LOVE THE VORSHLAG WHEEL STUD KIT!!!! I don't switch out race tires (yet), but I do switch between snow tires and summer tires. The studs make a small but very important difference.

Now I'm starting to do all the maintenance on my car and I'm coming up on the 100,000 mile service. From what I've read in other forums, the post-cat O2 sensors can be a beeyatch. Any advice or guidance? I'm planning on buying an O2 socket with a built in crow's foot to hopefully reduce some problems with work space limitations. Also, when I replace the spark plugs, should I replace the 3 inch connector wire that goes between each coil and plug? These are kinda like old fashioned spark plug wires that you would change at each tuneup so it makes sense. Thanks for any input.

The next thing you know, I might be volunteering my car to be the guineau pig for the Vorshlag LS1 E46 engine swap. But I guess you have to finish the E36 one first...
    Kevin
    2000 323Ci
    2005 Suzuki DL-650 V-Strom

Re: First the brakes, then everything else...

Let me know how that tool and the O2 sensor replacement goes. I probably need to replace mine soon! 120K miles and I realize they're listed as 100K replacements, but everybody (read: Fair, McCall, C3) keeps saying "wait until they go bad". However, I do recall reading that O2 sensors in general degrade later in life and my mileage isn't what it used to be. Everything else has been replaced (spark plugs, etc.) and I keep the tire pressures in check, so not sure what else it could be. Engine seems to run fine from what I can tell.
    Last edited by Redwood; 05-25-2006, 01:17 PM.
    -Sean Martin
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

There are 2 rear O2 sensors... and they can be difficult.

I've found that if you unplug one at a time (harness plugs in under the drivers' side door under the car) it's easier. You'll need a 3/4" open-end wrench (or you can spend $$$$ for the O2 wrench). If you get them mixed up, the car will run like crap (ask me how I know).

You can get to the sensors without dropping the mid-pipe... but you'll want the car up high on 4 jackstands. With the harness unplugged, the wire can spin freely and not be in your way. Install is reverse (install sensor, then plug into harness).

When you install the new ones, put a dab (thats tech talk for VERY SMALL AMOUNT) of anti-seize on the threads. This will help you if you ever need to change them again.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwood
        Let me know how that tool and the O2 sensor replacement goes. I probably need to replace mine soon! 120K miles and I realize they're listed as 100K replacements, but everybody (read: Fair, McCall, C3) keeps saying "wait until they go bad". However, I do recall reading that O2 sensors in general degrade later in life and my mileage isn't what it used to be. Everything else has been replaced (spark plugs, etc.) and I keep the tire pressures in check, so not sure what else it could be. Engine seems to run fine from what I can tell.
        Just have your favorite local shop do it, I'm sure it will be cost effective.

E46 LS1 is a MUST. I want a 4 door version. Glad you like the stud kit!
        Brian Hanchey
        AST Suspension - USA

Comment

There are 2 big reasons why I'm doing it myself and all at once.

First, BimmerHaus here in Colorado (owned by Bob Tunnell whom Adam has assured me you all know) quoted me $800 just for the O2 sensor replacement!! That's with a 15% discount on labor (as a repeat customer) and 10% discount on parts because of BMWCCA membership. I bought all 4 sensors at Pelican Parts for $383 with free shipping.

Second, I don't want to do one of the post-cat sensors at a time. I just want to put the car on jackstands, contort my body and bust knuckles one time in relation to O2 sensors. The pre-cat ones will be a snap.

BTW, I went ahead and ordered the spark plug connectors for when I replace the plugs. It basically doubled my cost from $42 to $78, but it's cheap insurance. I'd rather do preventive maintenance than urgent repair...

If I get the parts, I'll do it all this weekend, otherwise it may not be until early June. I'll post a report.
          Kevin
          2000 323Ci

Comment

Sorry, I was trying to rag on Redwood for using a particular shop here to change his brake pads. I had to take the rear O2 sensors off when I did the clutch. I bought the AutoZone standard O2 sensor tool and went to town on it. You need a good 1/2" ext and rachet. Isn't hard, just frustrating hence the $400 of labor from BimmerHaus.
            Brian Hanchey
            AST Suspension - USA

Comment

No apology needed! I got the joke, I just didn't know it was directed Redwood. Jeeze, even a rookie like me can do his own brakes in a few hours...

I think BH quoted me list price for the sensors at $162 x 4, and "only" $150 for labor. With tax and all it came to $801.
              Kevin
              2000 323Ci

Comment

Originally posted by Airacer
                First, BimmerHaus here in Colorado (owned by Bob Tunnell whom Adam has assured me you all know) quoted me $800 just for the O2 sensor replacement!! That's with a 15% discount on labor (as a repeat customer) and 10% discount on parts because of BMWCCA membership. I bought all 4 sensors at Pelican Parts for $383 with free shipping.
                That's it. I'm moving to Denver and opening a shop. I'll do all 4 O2 sensors for $450... while-u-wait. However, if you watch / help, it will cost you $500

Comment

Originally posted by John in Houston
                  That's it. I'm moving to Denver and opening a shop. I'll do all 4 O2 sensors for $450... while-u-wait. However, if you watch / help, it will cost you $500
                  Welcome to the difference between a shop that gives good deals and a shop that actually stays open and makes a profit.
                  McCall

Comment

Working...
                  X