STX Legal BMW Steering Wheels

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STX Legal BMW Steering Wheels

The wheel in the '93 is torn and must be replaced. I'd love to put something else in it, but need it to be legal. So it must retain an OEM airbag and have been offered in '93 from the factory.

I started a thread on bimmerforums about it. Take a look and feel free to post your response here instead of on bf.com.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=420630

So I realize that '97 328is wheel is styled a bit differently, but I'm guessing it's the same size as mine. The only difference is in the center styling. I wonder if my airbag would work. I'm researching that now.

I also have a lead on a nice M3 wheel which looks nice, but it has the raised portions by your thumbs when holding the wheel at 10 and 2 o'clock. I realize again that there's no performance improvement there, but I think that's pushing my luck. I'd rather not stick my neck out that far legal-wise.

And what's the deal with M-Technic cars? When were they offered? What'd the come with? Could I change mine over to one if it offers me a different wheel?

EDIT: If you look here http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.d...84&hg=32&fg=35 you'll see there are three wheels shown in '93. One is the M-Technic wheel, one is identical to the '97 wheel I'm interested in, and the third one is my stocker. I wonder if this means it was offered in '93?

Thanks,
    Tommy
    Last edited by Tommy R; 01-02-2006, 10:35 AM.
    2001 Jeep Wrangler
    2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins

BMW E36 DIY's:
    Front LCA Bushing Swap
    E36 Custom Cat Back
    M3 Limited Slip Diff Repair
    Diff Swap

Re: STX Legal BMW Steering Wheels

Originally posted by Tommy R
    The wheel in the '93 is torn and must be replaced. I'd love to put something else in it, but need it to be legal. So it must retain an OEM airbag and have been offered in '93 from the factory.

I started a thread on bimmerforums about it. Take a look and feel free to post your response here instead of on bf.com.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=420630

So I realize that '97 328is wheel is styled a bit differently, but I'm guessing it's the same size as mine. The only difference is in the center styling. I wonder if my airbag would work. I'm researching that now.

I also have a lead on a nice M3 wheel which looks nice, but it has the raised portions by your thumbs when holding the wheel at 10 and 2 o'clock. I realize again that there's no performance improvement there, but I think that's pushing my luck. I'd rather not stick my neck out that far legal-wise.

And what's the deal with M-Technic cars? When were they offered? What'd the come with? Could I change mine over to one if it offers me a different wheel?

EDIT: If you look here http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.d...84&hg=32&fg=35 you'll see there are three wheels shown in '93. One is the M-Technic wheel, one is identical to the '97 wheel I'm interested in, and the third one is my stocker. I wonder if this means it was offered in '93?

Thanks,
    Tommy
    Unless I'm missing something, you only have a choice of one steering wheel.. the one that came in the car. ST doesn't allow alternate Steering Wheels and there is no update/backdate allowance.

The plastic wheel only came on the 4 cylinders. The "M-Technic" parts, like the steering wheel shown in the Real OEM link, are basically factory offered performance parts and are not stock legal. You can't use that wheel in ST.

Black electrical tape???

Comment

Damn. And I was about to get that wheel for $60 shipped. I guess I'll have to tell the guy no thanks.

It sucks. The wheel is the same size (I'm assuming) and offers no performance advantage, but is only aesthetically different.......but some jackass out there will protest me for it, I'm sure.

Thanks, Brian...

T
      2001 Jeep Wrangler
      2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins

BMW E36 DIY's:
      Front LCA Bushing Swap
      E36 Custom Cat Back
      Diff Swap

Comment

Speaking of wheels.. well ok, tires. Tommy, what tires are you going to run this year? What is your wheel size?
        '11 Mustang GT / '95 Frankenpreza

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
        - Dr. Clarkson

Comment

17x8 and I'll run the same 225/45 Falkens until I'm ready to step up. Then it'll likely be the 235/40 Hankooks.

T
          2001 Jeep Wrangler
          2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins

BMW E36 DIY's:
          Front LCA Bushing Swap
          E36 Custom Cat Back
          Diff Swap

Comment

Ya, I thought I remembered you running a crappy tire size. Check out the 245/35 Falken 451's also. Shaved they might work well for you, especially the gearing. But the 235/40 shaved (must do this) Kooks should be good too.

I myself have made a tire change too. No more Falkens for me.
            '11 Mustang GT / '95 Frankenpreza

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
            - Dr. Clarkson

Comment

Start a thread about ST tire choices and let's discuss...

T
              2001 Jeep Wrangler
              2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins

BMW E36 DIY's:
              Front LCA Bushing Swap
              E36 Custom Cat Back
              Diff Swap

Comment

Working...
              X