Prepping the "New" 325.....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prepping the "New" 325.....

In this thread I'll be documenting the steps I take to get the new "black car" up to snuff, i.e. swapping all the "go fast" goodies from the white car, getting the car all cleaned up, and fixing all the little problems that often accompany higher mileage used cars.

Item 1
    There is a light on on the dashboard. It's a red circle with some lines on either side of it. I suspect this may be that it needs new brake liner wear indicators as the pads supposedly got very low before recently being replaced. Can anyone confirm? I've got a picture of it, but don't have a USB cable to pull it off the camera.

Item 2
    The seller told me she's gotten an intermittent ABS light on the dash. I hadn't....until this morning. Made a moderately brisk stop from about 60-65 mph to stop for a redlight. After stopping, the light came on. Yellow "ABS" light illuminated just to the left of the above-mentioned red circle light. Keep in mind the stop was not nearly hard enough to engage the ABS, but it was harder than average. Thoughts? I plan to check the Bentley on this to troubleshoot it. This is one item that kind of concerns me as it could be costly and troublesome to repair, as I understand it.

Item 3
    Planning on starting the transfer of goodies from car to car this weekend: h**** (<< are you freaking kidding me????), springs/shocks, bars, CAI, cat-back, shifter, lap belt, stereo, and I may pull out the Conforti chip and limited slip, depending on whom I end up selling the car to. A friend or acquaintance will likely get this stuff. A stranger won't.

The white car will get the black car's sport package suspension bits and the fresher of the stock parts I've got around (still have some stock parts from the white car).

Item 4
    Appearance. Right now, Billy Bryson is looking to get one of the detailers at his work to quote a full-on detailing of the paint on the car. It's been neglected for the last year or so of it's life living under the care of a hippy artist chick who lived in an old house near downtown Austin with no garage and a bunch of trees. It'll polish up well, I'm sure, but I don't know how much it'll cost me yet.

I also need to replace the steering wheel (torn leather), the shifter knob (torn leather), and there's a tear near a seam on the driver's side seat. I think it can be fixed affordably. If not, it'll get the super glue treatment. The passenger's door panel is fully "bubbled" and eventually I'll replace it ($170 new via mail order). Other than that, I plan on removing the grey on the lower skirts and I'll talk with Billy about painting the lower grey areas on the front and rear bumpers to make it look like a '96+ model (like the white car does).

That's it for now. More soon. If anyone has any comments on items 1 and 2, let me know!

T
    2001 Jeep Wrangler
    2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins

BMW E36 DIY's:
    Front LCA Bushing Swap
    E36 Custom Cat Back
    M3 Limited Slip Diff Repair
    Diff Swap

#1 is the wear indicator. Not sure about #2. Who does #2 work for?????!!?!? Sorry, Austin Power line.
    Brian Hanchey
    AST Suspension - USA

Comment

#2 is probably an ABS sensor. When you go through the suspension swap, pull the sensors out and check the condition. The tips should be intact (ie: not chipped) and not covered with crappola. Also, verify that all the teeth are on the exciter ring and that there isn't any debris stock in the teeth (like broccoli ). If it's intermittent, then it's probably a sensor going. I think the sensors are the same for both of your cars... so you could always swap them.

#1 is Hanchey. You can unplug the sensors at the wheel (one front, one rear) and I think the light goes out. That's what I did on the E30 as the d*** sensor on one of the wheels 'popped out' and got damaged.

#4: Billy does awesome work... so you are covered there.

You should be able to swap the steering wheels between the two cars. Pretty easy to do... just consult Bentley about letting the airbag system discharge (20 minutes battery disconnect) and pulling the orange plug in the steering column.

I'd pull all that crap out of the white car (Chip and Diff) regardless of who you sell it to. If its a friend, then hand them back to them. If not, then sell them. If someone comes up and makes a 'quick' purchase, you are outta luck!

Comment

Thanks, John. And yeah, I agree about the diff and chip. However, if I'm able to strike a deal prior to sale, I'll just leave it all there...

T
        2001 Jeep Wrangler
        2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins

BMW E36 DIY's:
        Front LCA Bushing Swap
        E36 Custom Cat Back
        M3 Limited Slip Diff Repair
        Diff Swap

Comment

Working...
        X