Initial RX-8 set-up

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Initial RX-8 set-up

OK, this thread was about car setup, enough already. I was just pulling you guys along. It worked!!!
    Brian Hanchey
    AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Originally posted by hancheyb
      Warning. A gentlemen named Mark Sipe is considering running STU now. He has a line on 18x9.5's for $300 each and a set of Advans. Doh! The semi good news is that he might be moving so we won't get beat up for long. He actually said he liked that we have so many participants here locally! That's a good sign, BUT the supplemental thing is bothersome to him. Suckage.

Mark's idea was about like yours Jason. I'd add springs though if you really want to try it and ditch the exhaust. MeL isn't going to like a buzzy car, it will be LOUD. Springs are SO EASY on that car, I hate you.
      If I remember correctly a little old STU subie was .2 off him at an event this summer so I welcome the challenge.

As far as springs, yea I agree that will be the first STU-specific mod I'd do after proving it's competitive along with a cat-pipe, shifter, and a homemade cold-air.
      McCall

Comment

Can't exactly compare a B Stock car with Kumhos on a 30 second course to the capability of the car in STU, IMO.
        Brian Hanchey
        AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Can't exactly compare a B Stock car with Kumhos on a 30 second course to the capability of the car in STU, IMO.
          Well, I don't think his car is going to get any faster switching to street tires that's all. The more the merrier in STU and the better drivers we get, the more it adds credibility to the class. Like I said, I welcome the challenge.
          McCall

Comment

Ya, I agree with Jason about better drivers. I think Mark joining the STU ranks is nothing but a good thing.
            '11 Mustang GT / '95 Frankenpreza

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
            - Dr. Clarkson

Comment

The pax would disagree, assuming that STU pax is anywhere near correct.
              Teucci has a good point about trannies - Tommy

Comment

If you haven't heard the buzz yet, Road-&-Track's SPEED Magazine, hitting stores on the 26th, features an article by Editor Sam Mitani on Mazda's project Mazdaspeed RX-8. RotaryNews has known about this car for a while, in fact it was scheduled to be displayed at SevenStock 7, but an agreement with Road-&-Track kept it behind the roll up doors at the event.

So, now that the cat is out of the bag, and after speaking to Mazda, this is what we have for you (click through to read on):

This is a development project that members of Mazda's R&D team have been working on. Because our engineers also happen to be enthusiasts, they're never completely satisfied and they're always tuning and developing vehicles one step further. This car is not for general sale now or in the future.

We're not ready to confirm when - or even whether - a MAZDASPEED version of the RX-8 is coming. We're always looking to improve the power, styling and drivability of our vehicles in each successive generation, and we're certainly looking at ways of adding the MAZDASPEED-DNA to RX-8, but we are not ready to talk in more detail about it.

Mazda touched on some details about this particular car, though...

It is supercharged. Because of the location of the exhaust ports in the RENESIS rotary engine, it doesn't respond in quite the same way to turbocharging as earlier rotaries. Our team thought they'd experiment with supercharging for this project car.
                Virtually everything on the car is custom-designed and built, including the bodywork, interior trim, suspension and exhaust. Our R&D team saw this project as an opportunity to take the RX-8 as far as they could, while still maintaining its streetability."
                So, there you have it. Look for more rumors, predictions, and lies soon, as we will be covering SEMA, the 1st week of November.
                -Sean Martin
                2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

I'll get my full report ready!!
                  Brian Hanchey
                  AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Working...
                  X