X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plastic Engine Covers

From the July Fastrack:

"SOLO STREET TOURING CATEGORY
    - The STAC has recommended the following rule change proposal, effective 1/1/2007: Add new subsection to 14.10, as follows: "Upper engine
    shields made of plastic material, the purpose of which is to hide mechanical components in the engine compartment, may be removed if they
    have a solely aesthetic function."

Woot!! Mine is going to be gone baby!
    McCall

Re: Plastic Engine Covers

What a phuking moronic rule.

They'll take the time to say you can pull engine covers... but not look seriously at the MAF rules?

The STU SMAC is ghey!

Comment

As a STAC member...

The engine cover proposal was in response to a member request. If you see a problem with it, please submit your feedback via seb@scca.com.

I assure you that we did look seriously at the MAF rule. Everyone understood that the current rule sucks for the BMW's, but we agreed that it didn't justify opening up the allowance. Expect a clarification of the current rule to better define the "sensor" in the next Fastrack. Again, if you have an idea that is beneficial to the category (not just one car), please submit it.

Brian

Comment

If anyone takes these off, let me have them:

- Novice Dean!
        Toth: "I would sue Duck, but I don't know what I would do with 3 pennies and a hoopty GTO."
        Me: "I never finish anyth..."

Comment

Originally posted by bfitz
          As a STAC member...

The engine cover proposal was in response to a member request. If you see a problem with it, please submit your feedback via seb@scca.com.

I assure you that we did look seriously at the MAF rule. Everyone understood that the current rule sucks for the BMW's, but we agreed that it didn't justify opening up the allowance. Expect a clarification of the current rule to better define the "sensor" in the next Fastrack. Again, if you have an idea that is beneficial to the category (not just one car), please submit it.

Brian
          Brian,

I cringe at the "possible" interpratation of the word "sensor".
          '11 Mustang GT / '95 Frankenpreza

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
          - Dr. Clarkson

Comment

Here's the clarification we recommended to the SEB. They could have changed it, so please don't post this elsewhere.

Add to the end of 14.10.C:
            If such a component is available from the manufacturer only as part of an assembly, the entire assembly must remain unaltered.

Comment

Hmm, well that just confirms what we already thought it said so it will have zero impact on cars as they are now. Or I am reading it wrong.
              '11 Mustang GT / '95 Frankenpreza

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
              - Dr. Clarkson

Comment

You're reading it correctly. It's just a clarification.

Brian

Comment

Brian,

Question: If ST is a prelude to SP or even SM... why are the plastic engine covers now permitted to be discarded?

SP rules do not allow that, and SM (which inherits SP rules unless specifically mentioned otherwise) does not mention specifically mention removal (at least not that I could find last night) although I have a feeling that this is falling under the 'no weenies' subset as many do not run the covers.

Comment

The proposal should have been made for SP as well. Thanks for pointing this out. I will notify the SEB of the omission.

Brian

Comment

Working...
                    X