STi wingless, opinion?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STi wingless, opinion?

I kinda like this look. I have a third brake light now to go into the rear window and I think a small "mines" spoiler would meet the STU rules. What do you guys think? Both the look and my rule interpratation?

STREET TOURING CATEGORY
    ITEM The following proposal is
    being recommended to the BOD, effective
    01/01/2006:
    Change 14.2.F to read as follows:
    Addition of spoilers, splitters, body
    kits, rear wings and non-functional
    scoops/vents is allowed. The intent of
    this allowance is to accommodate commonly
    available appearance kits, and
    replicas thereof, which have no significant
    aerodynamic function at Solo II
    speeds. Body kits are limited to bumper
    covers, valances, side skirts, and fender
    flares. Standard parts may not be
    removed except for the substitution of
    spoilers, rear wings
    , bumper covers and
    valances. Rear wings must attach only
    aft of the rear wheel centerline. Total
    surface area of all spoilers, splitters and
    rear wing may not exceed 8 square feet
    as seen from above (see 12.9).
    Substitution of rear spoilers or wings
    must retain any original third brake
    light functionality unless otherwise
    equipped
    . No underbody panels may be
    added or substituted. The drilling of
    holes for the purpose of mounting these
    pieces is permitted.
    Comment: In addition to stating intent,
    F-272 SPORTSCAR NOVEMBER 2005
    this rewrite defines "rear wing" and
    "body kit", and removes the word "etc."
    from the list of allowances.
    Last edited by Paul; 10-24-2005, 09:24 AM.
    '11 Mustang GT / '95 Frankenpreza

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
    - Dr. Clarkson

Re: STi wingless, opinion?

I still like the idea of just taking off the top part of your spoiler and running just the bottom with some sort of end caps.

EDIT- another advantage of utilitizing your stock bottom part is that is still retains your third brake light.

BTW, did everyone who went to the SCCA event see all the people who are starting to ADD aero to their cars? And Paul's trying to go the other way =
    Last edited by McCall; 10-24-2005, 09:56 AM.
    McCall

Comment

I would call and ask Doug Gill (really nice guy) about rules interpretation. Sounds like whatever wing/spoiler you go with may have to have an integrated brake light. Otherwise, I'd get that small spoiler we've discussed before. That think looked sharp!

T
      2001 Jeep Wrangler
      2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins

BMW E36 DIY's:
      Front LCA Bushing Swap
      E36 Custom Cat Back
      M3 Limited Slip Diff Repair
      Diff Swap

Comment

For some reason I really like that look !!! :O
        Toth: "I would sue Duck, but I don't know what I would do with 3 pennies and a hoopty GTO."
        Me: "I never finish anyth..."

Comment

Love the look.

Comment

I don't like the wingless look so much, but a smaller spoiler would look nice. I'm in favor of balance and with that giant hood scoop, no wing is bad.
            -Sean Martin
            2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

Originally posted by Redwood
              I don't like the wingless look so much, but a smaller spoiler would look nice. I'm in favor of balance and with that giant hood scoop, no wing is bad.
              I agree with SeanT. IMO, having no wing unbalances the proportions of the car. I do like McCall's idea of using the lower portion with small caps at the ends.

I plan on keeping mine the way it is. If it does in fact provide good downforce, that's something I really want at highway speeds.

If, heaven forbid, you get in an accident at higher speeds with the rear wing removed, can an insurance company say you modified the car from it's original design and that attributed to the loss of control?
              '05 STi
              Obfuscation usually requires a lot more words than if you simply focus on fundamental principles, so I’m not at all surprised by the loquaciousness of liberals.

Comment

Brian Sullivan (Houston Region) has his wing removed on his silver STI. Looks much better without it if you ask me.

Comment

Looks to me like the rule is clear. You can remove the wing to replace it with another, not remove it all together. Take it off and we'll find out with my protest.
                  Brian Hanchey
                  AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Originally posted by hancheyb
                    Looks to me like the rule is clear. You can remove the wing to replace it with another, not remove it all together. Take it off and we'll find out with my protest.
                    That is what I think also.

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
                    - Dr. Clarkson

Comment

Originally posted by Paul
                      Originally posted by hancheyb
                      That is what I think also.
                      Thinking about this, you could interpret that as your replacement option was "nothing". You chose to replace it with "nothing".
                      Brian Hanchey
                      AST Suspension - USA

Comment

"Standard parts may not be
                        removed except for the substitution of
                        spoilers, rear wings"

I think "nothing" won't fly since they say parts can't be removed except for substitution.

- Dr. Clarkson

Comment

I wanted to ramble for the sake of rambling since I am eating lunch...

You could "substitute" it with something the size of a walnut if you really wanted to, like 2 XM radio antennaes or just some balsa wood and call it a spoiler - spirit of the rules, nahh, but legal in the rules, I think it is very valid.

ANYWAYS, I REALLY like the spoiler in Post #1 of this thread, that mini-spoiler..subtle, yet strikingly attractive, very similar to this spoiler:

Toth: "I would sue Duck, but I don't know what I would do with 3 pennies and a hoopty GTO."
                          Me: "I never finish anyth..."

Comment

Originally posted by Dean!
                            I wanted to ramble for the sake of rambling since I am eating lunch...

You could "substitute" it with something the size of a walnut if you really wanted to, like 2 XM radio antennaes or just some balsa wood and call it a spoiler - spirit of the rules, nahh, but legal in the rules, I think it is very valid.
                            Actually that has been done with cardboard and duct tape.

- Dr. Clarkson

Comment

I'm really curious to see what you find out regarding the rules. Although, I have been told that they probably won't enforce this rule for someone like me, who clearly won't be a threat to anyone's time.
                              Regardless, I'd like to take mine out some, and I would want to follow the rules...like everyone else...even if it's not enforced.

Comment

Working...
                              X