Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

That's Whats Up! (This week at the Vorshlag shop)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

January 15. 2021: Update to my post from a couple of months ago - the burnishing tool works wonders but it makes a FOOKIN MESS!

So Zach went all #Mythbusters on that thang, added a vacuum assist which cleans as it polishedes. Works wonders, doesn't sh!t metal dust everywhere. #Winning

-----

Tube framed GT made to look like an S550 Mustang, from the crazy Aussies at https://www.marccarsaustralia.com.au/

-----

Some after hours assembly of Amy's HPR 454 LS7 engine for her 86. Rods bearings checked, main bearing and thrust bearing checked and dialed in, then the crank final installed.

Very meticulous measurements and tweaks took a few hours, but we got it all dialed in. #Agent86 #HPR454

-----

January 16, 2021: I have to post this PSA periodically, in case people get the wrong idea: Doing engine swaps IS NOT EASY. It is also NOT a cheaper way to get a good lap time on track.
    Buying a run-of-the-mill C5 - C6 Corvette and modding that is infinitely easier and *always* cheaper (for the same lap time) as LS swapping any chassis, if you account for all of the time / labor / research / hassle needed to finish a swap.

That's the painful truth. I am telling you that as a shop owner who makes LS swaps for a living. Why would I lie about this?????? We have this talk with people all the time who call us and think that they can turn their ratty street car into a track terror for $1000 and a weekend of work, like the YouTube and TV stars like to promote. That's just bunk. The opposite of truth. FAKE NEWS, but on the real though.

Even if you value your time at $0/hour, and you have ALL sorts of skills that are helpful with swaps (wiring, plumbing, tuning, fabrication, parts sourcing, exhaust building, cooling experience, and on and on), and all of the necessary tools to make everything, it STILL takes a lot more effort, time, and money to do one of these swaps WELL enough to be fast and reliable on the track as a hum-drum C5 with a handful of mods.

Of course there ARE good reasons to LS swap some chassis, so lets list them:

1. You just hate C5-C7 Corvettes for some huge reason: laid back seating position/visibility, lack of interior room (these cars are hard to cage well), the "its just so big" factor, the feel of a remote transmission shifter makes you cringe, the gold chain car show factor, etc. All of these are valid reasons - if you have the money and skill to make a swapped car faster than one of them, then go for it.

2. The final weight of a stripped/track prepped C5 (2800 ish pounds) is much heavier than your own race car's end goal. It is still hard to beat that weigh in some swaps, but it CAN be done on *some chassis* without notable impacts on safety. Some.

3. You have an unusual love for some particular chassis and want to make THAT CAR in its fastest version possible. Hey, I get it - there are some neat cars out there to fall in love with. Just about any chassis CAN get much faster with an infusion of LS goodness! Some folks are on a crusade to prove that "X" chassis can be as good or better than Corvettes on track - with copious amounts of power, time, and money thrown at one. Go for it, eyes wide open.

4. You just HATE MONEY.

Again, we love LS swaps around here, and part of our business is built around them. But we're not going to "tell you what you want to hear". These are the painful facts, learned after 2 decades of swaps and hundreds of swap kits sold. There are also some chassis we simply will NOT LS swap: NA/NB Miatas, P-cars, E30 BMWs, most AWD and FWD chassis, and many more. Lots of reasons why - mostly the compromises needed to fit this engine and an appropriate transmission are too great of a cost to the original chassis.

I hope that eases some of your fever dreams. Again, if you have the will and the means, anything can be LS swapped. We can help with some chassis but not all. Cheers! #TheMoreYouKnow

-----

Random pictures from the shop, part 2! Brad has been painting like mad and the back half of the shop is all cleaned, painted and ready to be put back together. The drywall crew finishing the tape/mud work was worth every penny!

Steering column mount and AiM dash arrived late on Friday. Zach (after cleaning up the fab table, then making another mess again, ha!) got to work installing the Keyser column mount (that Tim found) onto our Prius column, which Magan removed the old brackets from and cleaned up ahead of time.

Perfect fit! Should have this column finally installed on the #TeamVorshlag E46 later this next week. A little more painting at the other side of the shop and we can finish cleaning up, organizing, and moving clutter upstairs over the CNC rooms.

-----

January 18, 2021: Some track driver was complaining online that his pads "de-laminated" and was super disappointed in this brand. Check out the pad material thickness - its HALF the thickness of the backing plate! This pad was used WAY beyond its design life. So I meme'd his pic and will use it to show what NOT TO DO, so others can learn.

Pre-track inspection should always be looking at the thickness of the brake pads - THIS IS THE WAY to spot these issues before you take a lap, before you lose your brakes. If the pads are even close to the same thickness as the backing plates they have no chance of lasting a track day. THROW THEM AWAY and put your spare set on.

You do have spare pads, ready at all times, right? If your pads have to be built to order then ORDER TWO SETS so you don't get caught out. I'm saying this because it has happened to me, and my big 2014 crash was due to *this very oversight*, 100% on my part. During the pre-track inspection our techs noted the pads were the same thickness as the backing plate, but I hadn't ordered spare pads and said "it will be fine". During my first session the brakes failed, at 155mph. And now I have a crushed vertebrea, yay!
    Don't take your brakes for granted. Ever. This is a sure fire way to ruin your day! #ThisIsTheWay

-----

Some of you might remember the corrosion test we started last October, after looking at moving our camber plate bushings from carbon steel with a yellow zinc chromate plating to a stainless steel. I also put a bare carbon steel part on the test, which is outside the shop.

Surprisingly the plated carbon steel piece still looks great after 83 days. But.... this is a static test, and the real part sees a lot of suspension forces that could likely wear the plating off before it corrodes away. And of course there is no salt spray, plasma this or that, yadda yadda yuadda. #EnterArmChairEngineers

We quietly switched to stainless for all bushings starting that day, and we're making more this week. Eventually we will be 100% stainless for these parts, but I'm not willing to toss out 100s of perfectly good plated parts (that have worked great this way for 17 years). We have been switching more hardware to SS versions over time as well.
    This is not the only thing we might switch to stainless steel. This material costs 3x as much but we haven't had a price increase in NINE years, and all of our materials are up up up in the last 3-4 years. We've managed to reduce waste and increase machining efficiency to keep prices stable, but as more of our items switch to stainless there will eventually be a price bump, which will likely have to happen in 2021.

-----

Good, healthy reasons to mod your car - not the social media reasons. Well said - worth the 8 minutes.

https://youtu.be/4bS9lsxecAg

-----

That's What's Up!
    Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
    2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
    EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

January 19, 2021: Stopping by Heritage to drop off parts for #BlockNorris and checked out the repair work on Jamie Beck’s Mustang. Looking good!

Also I saw what might be our next LS swap development mule (E90 M3 chassis), that Tyler Rodgers will want to get rid of.

-----

Erik and I worked a little on Amy’s #HPR454. More bearing checks on the rods, found which bearings are needed (4th set) for this highly customized rod/piston combo (pin guided).
      Also took a look at my new Dart aluminum tall deck LS Next block for the “phase 2” engine for my Mustang, #Trigger.

Gotta get the Phase 1 mini-me engine going in this car, knock out some testing, then this big LS can go in. Backed up in customer cars so we don’t get to wrench on shop cars nearly enough.

------

Different sections of the shop are being painted, organized, re-arranged. It is almost not an embarrassing pigsty... almost!

-----

January 20, 2021: Brad finished up the wall paint work in the shop today - woo!

That means he is back working on the '69 Camaro tomorrow, starting with the Lexan rear window install.

-----

January 21, 2021: What shift boot to use on your gutted race car? We like this Joes Racing Products unit, which is thermally insulated and fire proof. Comes with an aluminum base frame that the boot snaps into, for easy access during maintenance.

This shot by Brad Maxcy was from the C4 Corvette we built, Project #DangerZone. Why on earth did I want to build a C4?? #Sickness
      https://www.joesracing.com/product/joes-shift-boots/

-----

Some weights we took last night at HorsePower Research of two aluminum blocks. First is my Dart LS Next tall deck, unskirted block. This is one meaty and strong aftermarket block at 125.7 pounds, and very well made. This one was machined and bushed for larger diameter lifters.

Second one was an RHS tall deck which I weighed with the main caps and hardware at 121.2 lbs, a few pounds lighter. Beautiful casting and machine work. A stock GM aluminum LS1 block weighs 110 lbs, so these have 11-16 more pounds added in the block and caps for added strength. Iron LS blocks are usually an additional 101-103 pounds.Enjoy! #WeighEverything

-----

Many of you Mustang folks that have been reading my posts for a while know that Vorshlag made a customized 6 piston 15" front brake upgrade kit for this chassis, with brand new Ford sourced parts. Unlike the Ford Performance M-2300-V kit, we actually *included the properly sized master cylinder* so the hydraulic ratio wasn't totally fubar with this massive caliper change. This was a hard learned lesson.

During the pandemic the WILDLY erratic pricing form Ford made this kit no longer viable or competitive. In the forum link below we share the part numbers and best sources for how to replicate this for your non-PP Mustang in the most cost effective way. Same goes for our "GT" rear upgrade kit for V6 cars - there is now a Ford Performance kit for that, too. Lastly there's also some news about Powerbrake, which we hope comes back to supplying the S550 and other chassis soon. We're still using their parts on a number of cars, just can't supply their kits new - for now.

Read the latest here: https://www.vorshlag.com/forums/foru...ions#post58979

-----

January 22, 2021: Last night many of the crew stuck around after hours to work on the #TeamVorshlag E46 endurance build. Tim and Myles worked on the steering column mount, altering the Prius EPAS column's placement to remove the extra U-joint we thought might be needed. Then we played with various steering wheels from 3 other cars with the same Sparco/Lifeline QR hub to find the right dish and diameter.

Magan worked on removing some door trim and hardware and Zach welded on the rear shock tower reinforcement plates they designed and CNC cut earlier. Need to do a bit more welding there, almost done.

One more another bracket to support the heavy electric motor on the column, then the center support bearing at the firewall, and that should wrap up the electric steering. A lot of trial and error, two columns, multiple mounts tested - we might have a good solution in the end.

-----

January 22, 2021: Jamie's Mustang getting paint!

-----

Lots of #LS550 swap part shipping out this week.

We begin a new LS swap development project next week on .... another different Mustang chassis! #OhTheHorror #FixingCoyoteProblems #LSswapThePlanet

-----

January 23, 2021: Some work on a couple of customer projects last week - tube framed '69 Camaro back window frame and E46 widebody M3 undertray mounting brackets. More to come!

-----

Back nearly 20 years ago our choices in automotive floor jacks was pretty dismal. We could spend $900 on a NASCAR style aluminum jack or $800 to import a low profile/high lift steel jack from Holland. The SnapOn / Lincoln jack was $300 and really the best shop jack around.

Then came the Chi Na copies, and they have improved radically over the last 2 decades. I tested some of these early units in an article I wrote around 2000 or 2001, and it had millions of views. As the article grew in popularity I had friends bring more models for us to test... and it helped.

That data is all pretty much useless now, but the current crop of aluminum track jacks and steel shop jacks has been pretty stable for a few years, so I spent an hour writing an update to the big "Floor Jack Shootout" article from 20 years ago. Its on the forum, and has some new pics of what we're using, as well as old pics from the original.
      Can you spend 400% more and get something maybe 5-10% better? Sure, but that's not what many of us want or need. These import jacks are the industry standard, like it or not. I fought it for years and spent a ton on American made jacks, but that market is essentially dead. Hope you enjoy this quick read, below.

Link: https://www.vorshlag.com/forums/foru...op-floor-jacks

-----

January 25, 2021: After picking up parts at the electro plater, Tim was able to fulfill some 6th gen Camaro camber plate back orders.

This was only the first half. And then the UPS driver never shows up. Loading up packages to take to the hub after 5 pm now!

-----

Jamie Beck brought the freshly painted Mustang back to us today, drove it out of the trailer and into the shop. Brad got right to work, swapping over some parts that have arrived since, squaring up the alignment, prepping the grill and new nose, then getting ready to reinstall the splitter for tomorrow.

This pony should be track ready again in a couple of days! #S197 #NotLSswapped #NASAtexas

-----

More after hours engine assembly.

Cleaned and installed the Comp Cam with an all new lobe series that will be in the catalog later in 2021. Amy’s #HPR454 coming together.

-----

January 26, 2021: Pretty slick merging of a BMW DCT trans and a Honda S2000. THIS IS HOW YOU DO A SEQUENTIAL RIGHT. This links to a page with some in-car video, which was just a shake down track test after this swap was done. But the electronic clutches and fast yet SMOOTH shifting on track seemed to work rather well.

The manually clutched, crash box, "sequential shifted" H-pattern boxes we see so many folks try to use are a much more crude way to make a "sequential" trans.

This BMW DCT probably isn't ready for 600+ ft lbs of torque engines, but Tremec's TR-9070 DCT (from the 2020 GT500) is going to be the front engine/rear drive high torque DCT for the aftermarket. And sooner rather than later. If you think you need a sequential, and your engine makes real torque, my adivce is wait for the Tremec. Otherwise this BMW DCT is pretty slick and being done more frequently.

Read more here:http://www.tracktuned.com/feed/2021/...ct-honda-s2000

-----

January 27, 2021: Am I doing this #5carchallenge thing right?

Here's five Muttstangs that I have owned and loved. Didn't even put the current hoopty, since it doesn't run yet.

This one being built should be better than all previous versions... #LS550 #Trigger

-----

That's What's Up!

Comment

January 27, 2021: Why do people like BMW E30s? One answer: they are light!

These 3 weights represent our 1991 318is twin cam M42 powered street legal car (2458 lbs), a stock dog of a 1987 325e (2436 lbs), and our 5.3L aluminum LS powered 18x11" wide bodied GRM build from the same "eta" chassis (2534 lbs).

Otherwise they are fairly turrible: E30 the rear suspension is UTTER GARBAGE, the front suspension ain't great, most are 4 lug with tiny brakes, OEM engines are yawn induing, the weird integral spindle/strut housing makes proper suspension more costly, and these have very little wheel and tire room - even the M3.

-----

CNC machines are buzzing along, making big batches of camber plates for F80 and Evo 7-9.

Some new stainless parts being made also. #CNCallTheThings

Multiple 2nd op setups happening to get ready for tomorrow. #KeepMakingChips

-----

Some more repairs wrapping up on Jamie's 2013 GT after it arrived back from paint.

Repairs to the tubular bumper beam, end links replaced, grills installed, brake ducts installed, dive planes added, splitter installed. Just waiting on new nets (arrive tomorrow) and a brake system flush and it is ready for dyno and alignment. #CrowdsAreWorried #ExposedSplitterStruts

-----

Brand new BMW E30 meme... #Stonks #500psi

-----

January 28, 2021: Some good Time Trial techniques from some fast NASA drivers. Enjoy!

link: https://nasaspeed.news/columns/drive...niques-part-3/

NOTE: Tire compound + traffic can greatly affect your plans, and sometimes you might need to get in your best lap on your FIRST flier.

-----

The repairs "post-paint" were all wrapped up on Jamie Beck's Mustang this afternoon. Lots of little work completed this week by Brad and the crew to get the bumper beam, nose, and aero bits fitted. Our front brake cooling deflectors were added, as the old 4" brake cooling hoses were constantly getting squashed.

Current spec center and door nets arrived and were fitted today, and the new Safecraft Safety Equipment belts were also installed and fitted. This #RoadWarrior is now up to spec and ready for the NASA Texas 2021 season.

A move from ST2 (where the car was overweight) back to ST3 is now planned, so we took a current weight. The trunk mounted ballast rack can handle the weight, and when combined with the custom dyno tune scheduled at TSM, it could be at the bleeding edge of power-to-weight for this class. Time to run the numbers. #VorshlagPrepped #CalculatedRisk

-----

January 29, 2021: This race gonna be crazy...

-----

Today marks the day when we began LS swap development on our 12th different generation and make of chassis: The Ford 2005-14 "S197" Mustang. This little 2011 had a blown V6 and the owner has already stripped it in preparation for track rat duties. An LS + T56 Magnum XL drivetrain went into this thing easily - it has a massive engine compartment.

Brad and I had mocked up the drivetrain before lunch. Shifter lines up perfectly with the stock tunnel hole in this engine placement. Next week we will test fit some of or LS swap headers, engine mounts, and transmission crossmember parts. If something doesn't fit, we'll make new versions that will. #AnotherOne #MorePowerPotential #LSswapThePlanet

February 1, 2021: Progress on the LS Swap for the S197 chassis. We have engine mounts and trans crossmember that work, but we're going to make some adjustments for the S197 chassis to gain a little more clearance in a couple of places. Headers are a bit trickier, but we have some more options to test. Almost there, stay tuned for more - if you care. #S197 #LSswapThePlanet

-----

A long overdue update to our old S197 Development forum build thread (links to the thread at 3 forums within the blog post), focusing on the 8 years of work covering Jamie Beck's ST3 classed Mustang. Lots of detail within this big 2-part post including prep to the dampers, wheels, aero, transmission, coolers, safety gear, cage and more.

Spent a chunk of time writing this, and we have 8 years of development on this car, so thanks for reading.

BLOG: https://www.vorshlag.com/blog/2021/0...es-st3-mustang

-----
        February 2, 2021: We got some more done in Amy’s engine last night.

Degreed the cam, file fit rings, installed pistons and rods, and installed the Johnson lifters and trays. #HPR454

-----

I spent the weekend writing forum updates, and today's blog post links to a massive 3-part update on Adam's 1967 Mustang track build. This one is exciting because we made huge progress in the time period covered. The 427" LS7 is installed, wired to a Holley EFI, and the fuel system is plumbed from the Radium FIA fuel cell.

The front suspension and steering were wrapped up, the 18x11" wheels and 315mm tires fitted, and the cage is now half complete. The car went to the body shop and had a lot of fitting, bodywork, and priming done - plus rear flares. So much to cover, starting at this blog post and linking to the forums. Enjoy!

BLOG: https://www.vorshlag.com/blog/2021/0...k-build-update

-----

That's What's Up!

Comment

Working...
        X