Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

That's Whats Up! (This week at the Vorshlag shop)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's Whats Up! (This week at the Vorshlag shop)

This is a new thread we created to briefly cover about what is going on at the Vorshlag shop, day to day. We plan to post often here, mostly from copying what I post on my own or the Vorshlag social media, blog, YouTube, or Instagram.

Social Media is not everyone's cup of whiskey, and due to distorted algorithms and AI you might not see these posts. Putting this on the forums makes it more of a permanent record, and easier to catch up with what's going on at the Vorshlag shop.

Cross-posted here: https://trackmustangsonline.com/thre...ag-shop.16893/

So let's start with yesterday...

October 27, 2020: We had a customer who had an issue with one of our Bilstein based "Track Pro" coilover kits, which we used to make from OEM style inverted Bilstein strut housings (it was a lot of work).

He bought this kit from us nearly 5 years ago and broke one of the swaybar brackets off (I suspect by using the wrong length end link). He asked if we could repair them and check his other parts, like the camber plates.

Over the last few days we unearthed the old production fixtures, CNC plasma cut a replacement bracket, and got to work. Brad disassembled and prepped the housings, then Myles TIG welded the new bracket on and welded up a crack in the other side. Brad repainted the housings (we no longer keep the custom matched Bilstein yellow on hand) and I assembled them today, for Tim to package up and ship out.

Why support a product we quit selling 2+ years ago? Because that's what you do.

Why did we make this kit to begin with? Because nobody filled the gap with a quality coilover under the MCS price point (no Ohlins R&T nor Bilstein PSS10) for the S197 Mustang (which was made in huge numbers). We only quit making these because Bilstein had a stretch of over 18 months *without making shocks*.

We keep seeing this lately: a shock supplier not making shocks, a wheel supplier not wanting to make wheels, and a brake supplier not wanting to make brakes. It is a bit maddening - and has nothing to do with the pandemic. If they keep this up, someone else is going to fill the gap in the market for them. That's how this works.

----

PRO TIP: Never buy an automotive front spindle from a salvage yard. (*unless it is a well managed yard that never sells obviously crashed parts)

I've learned and re-learned this lesson a few times. This is one area that can and does often get tweaked in a crash, which is how most cars end up in junkyards. The spindle can get bent, or a mounting hole oblonged, and then you have a paperweight.

These S197 and S550 spindles weren't that expensive from the dealership new, in the end. Solved a lot of problems. #TheMoreYouKnow

----

Some exciting new materials being tested for use in our camber plates. This grade of stainless steel has both the machinability and corrosion resistance we need for some tight tolerance bushings we use hundreds of every month.

Moving to this material for this part will raise costs but cut out a delay in the manufacturing process - electroplating. We are making a batch this week which we will corrosion test side-by-side with our plated carbon steel versions. #NewMaterials #VorshlagBuilt

----

A simple outdoor corrosion test I put together today.

The same part (two of them are blems) made in bare carbon steel, yellow zinc plated carbon steel, and a grade of stainless steel (I am not sharing the exact alloy, for business reasons). We may move all of our bushings to this stainless, depending on how this looks after some rain and time. Come on mother nature, give us your worst! #BuildTestImprove

----

This was one day of postings on social media. I will go back a few days in the next installment to show some actual car work we are doing in the shop, some new parts development, and more.

That's What's Up!
    Last edited by Fair!; 10-28-2020, 09:05 AM.
    Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
    2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
    EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

October 22, 2020: This week we made a "fire proof" panel to cover an opening to the Pyrotect Fuel Cells in the back seat of an S197. This is an unusual fuel cell in that it re-uses the OEM steel fuel tank (2005-2010 models came with steel, 2011+ models came with plastic) and Pyrotect turns it into an FIA approve cell.

The way they built the cell the vent ends up interfering with the floor, and the fuel lines are impossible to route under the car completely. So we took part of the "volume" above the back seat to mount the fuel pump and route the fuel and vent lines.

Brad built a cardboard mockup after consulting with Myles about the unusual shape, and came up with a plan for piecing this together.

Converted to aluminum, bent to shape, riveted the side portion on, then attached the assembly with rivnuts and stainless button head bolts.

It should look great and keep out fuel smells from the cockpit for years of racing.

That's What's Up!

Comment

October 23, 2020: Our endurance road race car build is progressing. This is a project that some Vorshlag employees are tackling after hours, which we will all drive in 8/12/24 hour races with WRL and similar groups.

We've had the dash pad sitting in the cabin of our E46 #TeamVorshlag endurance build for too long.

Brad took the time to trim it to fit today, between many other tasks. Looks good - less hoopty, more race car!

----

This 2002 Corvette was one that used to be owned by Mark Council, after he sold his S197 Mustang. We worked on this car for a number of years, and last touched in in 2016. In 2019 my business partner at HorsePower Research bought this car, but it sat for 14 months in storage until recently.

We pulled it out of storage and began doing some maintenance and repairs. I have motivation - I'm driving this in the Optima Ultimate Autocross Shootout thing at COTA on November 1st.

Last week I bought a new set of Yokohama Advan A052 "200 treadwear" tires in 315/30/18 (the widest they make). These tires "run big" and were only 0.2" narrower tread than the 335/30/18 Rival-S tires that were on it (and are 2+ years old).

This car has flares setup for 18x13" rear and 18x12" front wheels, which we supplied to Mark years ago. I had the "315" Yokohamas mounted up to these wheels and took it to a local autocross to test them out, and Erik also drove the car at an event for the first time.

As we were loading the C5 into the trailer last week, crawling out the window because there wasn't a good place to hook the winch to, a thought occurred to me - this car needs a front tow hook! And specifically, one that requires no drilling to install. Surprisingly, this does not exist.

Myles, Brad and I looked the front end with a wheel off and found the obvious place to bolt one to, without drilling any holes. Myles whipped up this design on the CNC plasma table, made a bending fixture for a production piece, Brad cleaned it up and painted it, and then installed on Erik's C5 today.

Fits great - we will make a production run of these and add them to the Vorshlag parts catalog shortly. This is only one of a few new products we are making for this chassis. #NewPartsEveryWeek #VorshlagBuilt

That's What's Up!
      Last edited by Fair!; 10-28-2020, 09:23 AM.

Comment

October 19, 2020: We sold one of these PSS10 kits and sent them to Vorshlag first, for assembly with our camber plates as well as some studio pics

PSS10 coilover kit for VW Mark 7, with our optional Vorshlag camber plates. Look for these to be listed on our website by tomorrow (now located here)

We always ship shock kits to our shop (on our dime) first, if the customer buys any optional parts. This way we can assemble them properly and the customer can just install them right out of the box.

Bilstein makes some great shock kits - when they feel like actually making shocks for cars - but their "stock" photos are junk.

----

Tim here at Vorshlag has an NC Miata with Ohlins R&T coilovers, header, roll bar, and multiple sets of wheels. He sold these gold 17x8" RPF1 wheels then went to a TR Motorsports wheel.

Today his new set of Enkei 17x9" RPF-1 arrived. Great price on a very light track wheel!

My issues with the RPF1 are, 1) the spokes have poor caliper clearance and 2) they don't have sizes/offsets/bolt patterns/widths for the bigger cars.

----

Due to obligations on customer cars and lack of manpower over a 2 month period we haven't been able to touch the #LS550 project much. At least now towing this into and out of the shop is easier.

Myles plasma cut out a tow hook (and future #ExposedSplitterStrut mounting platform) for the S550 tubular bumper beam he already built.

Of course I had to "test it" - didn't break with me standing on it. You should have seen the dismount! Now I can use the tractor to drag this car around.

That's What's Up!
        Last edited by Fair!; 10-28-2020, 09:47 AM.

Comment

October 28, 2020: After fighting with some AN lines last week I got fed up not being able to find my assembly tools that I broke down and bought them again from Summit Racing Equipment.

+ Koul Tools AN Hose Assembly kit # 416
          + Summit Racing AN Hose End Wrench Kits # SUM-900101

These will get the ends onto braided hoses really well, and the wrenches will tighten the anodized ends without scratching (we still wrap the wrenches jaws in blue tape).
          Of course I've owned sets of AN wrenches and these hose assembly tools before, but like most of the tools I buy, they have found their way into the Phantom Zone - along with a half of my socks.

That's What's Up!
          Last edited by Fair!; 10-28-2020, 02:37 PM.

Comment

October 29, 2020: Here’s some scheduling info for this weekends Optima World Championship Autocross event. We will be there Saturday to unload and tech, no idea where we will be parking our rig. The autocross is in Sunday and the weather looks great!

Spectators must by tickets online before they get there. I don’t know when they are allowed in - we got spectator tix for a few folks for Sunday. We will post more I fo as it becomes available. #25Kpayout

https://hiperformanceexpo.com/event-schedule/

----

I tested out a new welding helmet today - an auto darkening design with a LARGE viewing area, nearly 3x the lens opening of my old Miller helmet. It worked great for me over 3 hours of MIG welding this morning - the larger lens area really helped me see more of the working area as well as the arc.

Myles tried it this afternoon on some TIG work, and the lens it would flicker at low amp / flash levels, so he went back to the Miller helmet.

I will test Paul's new ($270) Lincoln "large viewing area" version side-by-side with this one soon. This $70 "YESWELDER" helmet one looks an awful lot like the Lincoln, but the lower rampage sensitivity might not make it worthwhile for TIG use. #ToolTesting

----

Working on the #TeamCar after hours tonight! Magan and Tim lifted the E46 chassis and installed the new swap driveshaft.

Myles and I worked on the rolled radiator mounts. The seat came out to swap for a different Sparco Circuit II and our altered offset, production E46 seat bracket. #LittleThings #TeamVorshlag

That's What's Up!

Comment

October 30, 2020: Day 4... and I haven't gotten to the acid spray, cat piss, or Napam yet!!! #EveryonesAnEngineer

-----

Myles worked on a new part design this week - racing seat side brackets. Why make something that so many seat makers already offer? Well several reasons. Many of the aluminum side bracket designs have compound bends that can CRACK at the edges, and most are wider than they need to be.

Every bracket we have ever bought is also TOO TALL. The best alternative for the last few years have been OMP "short" steel brackets (below left). But as you can see in the pictures below, they are still very tall, and we always cut them shorter when we are shooting for a "low" seat stack up height (which is always). Leaving them tall often covers up and/or interferes with a fixed back seat's lap belt holes.

So why spend $75+ on brackets, then spend an hour or more hacking them up? Scott Rhea gave me the hint - we have the tools to make a custom side mount seat bracket in-house, quickly and efficiently! From now on we will just draw these up and CNC cut them, then bend them to shape, rather than buying off the shelf units and spending time hacking them up. #NewPartsEveryWeek

-----

Myles was dialing in a new Iscar tool holder with 6 cutters that have 8-sided inserts on aluminum camber plate material. The first parts he machined with this were for F80 BMWs... wow! Mirror like finish and it is FAST. This tool setup can mow down .400" per cut, too! Once you start to see some wear, rotate the inserts, and its cutting fresh again.

The Micro Dynamics 50V CNC mill, setup with some new feeds and speeds, with new tooling & new style inserts, is upping our efficiency AND finish quality. That's a win-win in my book! #VorshlagBuilt

-----

Mounting fixed back race seats into most cars is hard - and the C5 Corvette, which doesn't have a metal floor, is especially challenging. Myles has been working on this design off and on this week and used our tried and true flat steel plate design with ribbing TIG welded underneath.

We took a square of carpet out directly under the seat, with the goal of making the lowest and stiffest seat bracket base on the market. This car needed a slider, so we used a short Sparco dual locking unit, and the new slider/bracket setup is actually lower than the previous fixed mount - with the same seat. This allows over 12" of fore-aft movement, so this seat can work with multiple driver sizes (for W2W use, of course any seat on a slider requires a seat back brace.)

The confines of this cabin were tight, so Myles had to design and build some auxiliary lap belt tabs, custom seat side brackets (shown earlier today), and maximize every millimeter in this bracket assembly. I'm very happy with the final result, which has a top that is .600" off the floor (just enough room for the ribs and eyelet hardware underneath). The sliders glide easily and lock in place at each stop. This setup fit me at 6'3", Tim at 6'4", and Myles as well.

The whole seat and bracket assembly was easy to install - you assemble the sliders, side brackets, and seat to the base bracket outside of the car - and the whole thing bolts in at the four factory floor studs. With just the ribbed bracket bolted in, it stiffened the floor significantly.

I will test this new seat / slider / bracket setup at COTA this weekend, but if its like any of our other production brackets, this is a winner and will go into production soon. We will make a fixture off of this unit then CNC cut a batch, weld them up, and have them powder coated. #NewPartsEveryWeek #VorshlagBuilt #C5support

That's What's Up!

Comment

October 31, 2020: Loading this C5 into an enclosed trailer is so much easier with the front tow hook installed!

Love it when a new product we make works so well. About to head down to COTA for an autocross. Never thought I’d write THAT sentence!

Will be fun catching up with the Optima people and drivers. Good luck to everyone competing in the various competitions this weekend. #DriveOptima #BecauseStreetcar #Because25K

That's What's Up!

Comment

November 1, 2020: The Optima World Championship Autocross event sure was fun! 100 of some of the most talented drivers in some very well prepped cars came to duke it out over 5 runs for $25K! Let’s do it again in 2021, Jimi Day!

It was nice seeing a lot of racers I haven’t seen all year competing in a variety of cars that swapped the lead - several high tech AWD cars (NSX Hybrid, Tesla dual motor model S, two Evos) and the eventual winner in an #HPR468 powered C6. There were some unusual tires and warming blankets allowed, which definitely didn’t hurt.

I was up in 17th place early on, then fell to 21st, and I ended up down in 39th. There was more in the little C5 but I stalled out after run 3 and kept running the same times. Pretty rusty but I was cone free all day, at least. Need to get back into this sport again - it’s fun.

Big thanks to Amy and Magan for helping prep the car between runs, thanks to Erik for the car loan, and thanks to everyone at Vorshlag for getting this car from hibernation, to a few new parts developed, to autocross ready in just a couple of weeks.

Erik has lots of plans for this car and hopefully we can do some more autocrosses and track testing with this great platform. The car does everything well, just needs a bit more of ... everything. #driveoptima #becausestreetcar #vorshlag #HorsePowerResearch

----

The vendor alley was pretty good at the Optima Expo. Beats driving to Vegas for SEMA!

Ford had some over the top Mustangs on display. The wide body 69 Mustang makes my pants get a little tight!

That's What's Up!
                  Last edited by Fair!; 11-09-2020, 04:09 PM.

Comment

November 3, 2020: Monday morning was a roller coaster! Our newest team member had something in life come up and couldn't come back, so we were back to square one - looking for help in the shop. Myles had a suggestion, I called the guy up by 9:30 am, he came by for an interview and TIG welding test at 2:30 pm. That night he was hired, and today is his first day! Nothing ever happens this fast, especially during a pandemic and in the middle of a presidential election!?

Welcome to the Vorshlag team, Zach Taulbee! (above) We will use his diverse experience (fabrication, engineering, CNC, and more) to help us catch up on customer car work, progress some of the shop builds, new parts development, and more. On his first day he has already worked on 3 different customer cars!

Over the coming weeks look for more car build work to get knocked out in the shop with Brad, Zach and sometimes even Myles.

---

One of the biggest challenges in a working shop is keeping tools and supplies organized, near where they are used, and easy to find. Brad the Builder has been wrapping up construction and now the shop layout has changed - so he spent the day re-organizing the various "Sushi Carts" in the shop.We have 5 or 6 of these big rolling tool carts with bamboo wood tops, like in a hibachi or sushi joint, and years ago we just started calling these Sushi Carts.

Lots of new stainless hardware, roll cage related tools, and welding consumables that arrived now have a new home in labeled drawers located in carts near the appropriate work areas. Some equipment is getting moved around to better suit our workflow and associated tools.

---

Chris Ramey takes the win! OUSCI winner and the $25K purse! Way to go!!! #C4FTW #HPR468 #TAMSCC #DriveOptima #BecauseStreetcar

Vorshlag supplied Chris with custom MCS dampers and HPR built the 468" LS7 that powers this car. To win overall in OUSCI in a GTV car is quit a feat!

---

That's What's Up!

Comment

So I got a little behind and *poof* 2 months raced by! This is gonna be a quick catch-up and a tiny fraction from my daily FB posts. Almost none of the memes, no vacation pics, no random stuff - just the automotive content.

December 11, 2020: The Vorshlag crew was busy this week, even with half of us out on vacation!

Myles and Zach worked on this E46 rear shock tower reinforcement structure. Something we have been wanting to do for years, and with our MCS RR3 rear shocks setup as true coilovers, we need to beef up the shock towers on our endurance car. As always, if this works out, we will turn it into a production kit. It would be the two top plates and two tower curved reinforcement pieces, which can then be welded to your BMW E46 chassis.

Myles and Zach also worked on an E46 lower radiator mount for our rolled, custom Griffin radiator while I was gone. They started with some 18ga steel sheet, cut to shape, bent into "U" sections, with a lot of dimple dies and welded - and with reinforcements at the mounting pads it was 2.3 pounds.

Using S550 Mustang radiator mount bushings at the bottom + the brackets at the top gives a 4 point pin-in-bushing isolated mounting for the radiator. This will not be a production piece, since it requires a lot of surgery to the upper rad support to fit, plus a custom radiator. Just nice to see some progress on our endurance E46 build.

One of my #500psi memes that I use often - when a new person pops into a car page asking about what parts to buy for their track car and literally EVERY OTHER comment is "just get more seat time, bro!"

You guys are killin me... we gotta eat, son!

Block Norris got cleaned up then torn apart. New front sheet metal going on next before paint.

===========

December 14, 2020: Myles and Bryan have been churning out parts on all three CNC machines as fast as they can.

Chips are flyin' to keep up with a massive and unexpected influx of camber plate orders. We're trying to keep up - thanks for your patience! #MadeAtVorshlag

With Vorshlag you don't have to wait for a sale, search for some obscure coupon code, or need to be in some special group to get a discount. We offer our best prices on our parts 24/7/365!

"Sales" usually mean the manufacturer is dumpingold inventory or desperately need to drum up revenue. Or worse - the typical Black Friday gimmick of jacking up prices then dropping them back down with a fake discount code. Here, we are constantly swamped with orders... until that changes drastically, we will keep our #NoSalesEver policy on our products in place. Its worked for 16 years.

Muffler noodling! A pair of these 3.5" inlet Magnaflow large case 5x11x22" mufflers should sound good coming out the back of our #LS550 Mustang, Project #Trigger.
                      That's one thing we're doing the opposite of compared to most Mustang builds - making it QUIET instead of ear splitting LOUD! #SoundRestrictons #LagunaSecaExhaust #2020DumpsterFire

=========

December 15, 2020: The shop truck 2000 Silverado #BlockNorris is undergoing a 2000 to 2005 front sheet metal update, as part of the #TreeAttack2020 repairs.

Zach had to cut off the bumper mounts and weld on the new conversion pieces, swap fenders, and more. Round 1 of pics, more to come.

Some more cage progress on the #TeamVorshlag E46 endurance car. The amount of changes we have done to this cage kit are stacking up.

Zach made this double foot intrusion bar structure on both sides that fits so nicely, and has load paths into the door bars. Added some smaller diameter diagonals to the upper windshield bars, and a diagonal in the rear down bars.

#TodaysNonBilledHours are all sunk into the kamikaze tree repair work on the #BlockNorris shop truck.

The 2003-07 sheet metal update and the 2005-07 Silverado SS upgrades are not exactly jiving well. Bought the body panels, bumper, bumper cover, and "SS" upper grill from the same supplier / brand and the "SS" grill was clearly wrong (made for 2500-3500 HD hood - which I do not want). The shipping damages to the hood and SS lower cover are another pain to deal with - and it came from the manufacturer on a pallet at "not cheap" shipping costs.

I can see why our painter didn't want to do this work. The tolerances of the Taiwan parts is starting to stack up - the lower running lights don't fit the fenders well, plus other things. Tons of little brackets needed to mount the Silverado SS bumper cover - which are no longer made by GM, so there's a lot of "fiddly work" needed. The joys of hot rodding!

============

December 16, 2020: Between manning the CNC machines and other tasks, Myles and the crew have been busy revising two of our latest brake cooling air deflector designs: the S197 Mustang and E46 M3. These had been on cars and sold to customers, but a few folks noticed some issues with some additional variables we didn't have on our test cars: big aftermarket swaybars, some early production control arms, etc. We put these on production hold for a few weeks until we could tweak the designs and test them on some cars.

The latest revisions to both car model deflectors incorporate what we've learned from feedback and both will be in production later this week. We also had a sheet metal material shortage for a couple of weeks, but finally found a supplier that had the alloy and thickness we needed, and that shipment should be here tomorrow.

Thanks to the patience of folks waiting on backorders - you will get the latest revisions of these! #StayCoolOnTrack #NoBrakeHosesNeeded #AlwaysImproving

---

That's What's Up!

Comment

December 17, 2020: Long day of prototype work on our latest rev to the E46 M3 brake cooling deflector.

Myles worked on this while Zach made a production batch of S550 deflectors. After a couple of test fits, another revision, and a test drive, the production version on the M3 test car was silent.
                        Production batch of those tomorrow!

The Pontini Racing boys came by to knock out some tasks on the CTS-V tonight. New rear lower control arms installed that clear the 18x12" wheels better (with fresh sphericals), new upper control arm bushings installed that removes a TON of bind (the Delrin bushings were very "locked up"), new rear calipers, and more. Progress!

Tim, Zach and Magan worked on the #TeamVorshlag E46 tonight. Dash removed, some cage welding, and then a dash center panel.

Magan made a template for the center panel, and with instruction from Zach learned out to use SolidWorks, the CNC plasma table, then burnished and signed her work. "And I helped!" #ShakeAndBake

=====

December 18th, 2020: Lots of brake deflector orders shipping today...

Even the Grinch likes this price.

---

That's What's Up!

Comment

December 21, 2020: Today's #NonBillableHours went to fixing a bunch of broken bullshit - but the 2005 Silverado front end and SS conversions are both complete on #BlockNorris. Taking it to the painter soon when I pick up the '67 Mustang to bring back to wrap up that LS7 swap.

What went wrong? Well first, one of the driving lights had a broken tab, so Brad made an aluminum replacement and epoxy'd that in place. Then a lot of fender + front radiator suppoer adjustment, then the headlights were able to fit. The broken grille happened in shipping - and would have taken 2+ weeks to get replaced, and an hour of time jacking with the seller. Instead Brad spent an hour, made al aluminum backing place that he epoxy'd in place, and super glued the seam. Looks as good as new, just more of that bs.

==========

December 22, 2020: No time to touch #Trigger in the last week, other than a small victory with the vacuum hose at the firewall. Wiring diagram manual arrived, as did a Holley LS alternator harness. While the intake was off I made some measurements to the cowl and bottom side of the hood, #BecauseReasons #Phase2Plans

We spec'd and ordered the oil cooler for the Phase 1 engine today, as well as the remote oil filter / thermostatic bypass - then we can finish the oil system plumbing. More wiring work in the works, as well as the exhaust system - as soon as the second muffler arrives. Gotta get this on track ASAP or I will go insane! #LS550

----

Giant holes in firewalls are a big "no-no" in road racing, and really all forms of motorsport. We're going through this CTS-V endurance car and adding block off panels and Seals-It 2-piece grommets for every wiring pass-through.

Sometimes they need to be custom shaped to pass a particular wiring end through - but that's just what you do. #StaySafe #FireBad

====

December 23, 2020: Got a modern-ish car? Got sixteen bucks? Might not be a bad idea to have one of these kits handy. Includes common sized OEM automotive push pin and plastic rivets. #ShareTheTech

---

Brad is wrapping up the last task on the shop truck - de-badge and side rub strip adhesive removal. Almost done, ready to load into the trailer to take to the painter. #BlockNorris

Heat gun, plastic scraper, eraser wheel, Goof Off and some rags. Twenty year old adhesive is not just going to "fall off".

-----

Zach stuck around after work last night and with help from Magan they made an oil cooler mount for the #TeamVorshlag E46 endurance car.

This is the largest Derale 10000 series stacked plate cooler (54010), rated to shed 67,000 BTU's Per Hour. Next up: remote oil filter with thermostatic bypass.

----

All loaded up and ready for paint! #ShopTruck #RaceTruck #BlockNorris

=====

December 24, 2020: Really impressed with the bodywork Shiloh and his crew at Heritage Collision Center did to this ‘67 Mustang! The composite hood, fenders and nose took a LOT of rework to make them fit together (and they are from the same company!?) but the results are amazing, even in primer. Their flares rear fenders also match the front and give plenty of room for the 315mm Rivals.

Body lines set, blocked, primed and ready for the finished work. After the track test this will come back for a full paint job worthy of some D&E points! #PimpinAintEasy

-----

Made a short 2 min video while walking around a 2020 GT500. Still not a fan of supercharged engines or 4000 pound curb weights, but the Tremec TR-9070 DCT is completely bad ass, and there are a few body and underhood details that caught my eye.

video: https://youtu.be/mKW16f_Vw0w

First time using a my PC (built for faster editing) and new video editing software (Pinnacle Studio 23) and it went fairly well. Enjoy!

----

December 29, 2020: When leaving Cars & Coffee leads to crash damage, it is nice to know that your local Ford dealer can supply all new engine cradle (front subframe), spindles, and other hardware in a SINGLE DAY at a damned good price.

This was all ordered Monday and arrived Tuesday, and was $300 cheaper than the cheapest online parts house (due to their trick of using massively inflated shipping to disguise their "low prices"). Thanks, Bob Tomes Ford! We will start brewing the coffee soon...

----

December 30, 2020: Tripling the power while tripling the fuel range, lots of smiles, and lots of lessons learned in this LS swap Grand Wagoneer story.

Link: https://www.hagerty.com/media/mainte...ssons-learned/

It takes time to do i right, but re-powering an old classic with modern LS power can REALLY make the vehicle so much more enjoyable to own and drive. #LSswapThePlanet

-----

Trying to help a customer choose the right AiM Sports, LLC. digital logging dash for his S197 Mustang race car. This car had OEM gauges with a 4.6L engine but making them work with the Gen II 5.0L swap is a lot more hassle (all of the engine harness wiring is gone - not our fault), and he had an AiM SOLO DL behind the steering wheel anyway. Two CAN wires and a digital dash is connected to the ECM for all of the data.

The two AiM dash sizes we are looking at are the AiM MXS 1.2 with a 5" screen mounted on the column or a larger 7" screen AiM MXG 1.2 mounted at the gauge depth. Jason made some full sizes mock-ups from their CAD drawings, and then we tested them in the car at various depths. The SOLO will go away, obviously, as these digital dashes both have logging and predictive lap timing.

Steering wheel size can different and make the visible opening smaller than you'd think. In the end the smaller MXS mounted closer to the wheel (so you can get to the menu buttons) makes the most sense. Your mileage may vary.

-----

Making a pair of these seat brackets takes over four hours, spent: CNC plasma cutting, then clean up, bending, fixturing, and carefully timed TIG welding. Then more clean up, then off to the powder coater.

Patience is the key here - weld too long and it warps the plate. So a few stitch welds for the ribs are done, then it all has to air cool back to room temp before more welding can happen.
                          Hopefully we can cut down some of the prep/clean up work with a cleaner way to CNC cut these - either laser or water jet - in 2021.

=====

December 31, 2020: Someone asked on one of the pages today about "what hood latch should I use on my race car?"

There is exactly one good choice: AEROCATCH. THIS IS THE WAY

----

There are 8 cars being built in the shop, one waiting in the trailer (8 of them are V8 swaps, all 9 of them are race cars), and more waiting off site. We might need some additional help in 2021...

---

That's What's Up!

Comment

January 2, 2021: Recent work on the shop truck, which included a sheet metal update and Silverado SS conversions. The blog post below links to our forum build thread update. Enjoy. #GMT800 #ShopTruck #SilveradoSS

https://www.vorshlag.com/blog/2021/0...-ss-conversion - blog post here

----

January 5, 2021: Three different projects going down on the S550 chassis today - Project #Trigger is useful to have around.

Shock mount design changes, weird muffler tip heat shields, fuel tank going in. #LS550 #DyingToRace #FinishDamnit

-----

Guess who's back on track for 2021?? Jamie Beck's 2013 Mustang ST2 car is coming out of hibernation for a quick fix and then off to the painter later this week.
                            A week ago we dragged this car out of the trailer and dragged it into the shop (we added a winch to the floor to get it up the ramp).

Brad has since replaced the front subframe, a spindle, a control arm and a few other bits before we load up and transport it to Heritage Collision Center for the final bodywork and paint. Big thanks to Motion Control Suspension for turning around the rebuild on the RR2 shocks so quickly. Gonna drive it out of the shop, into the trailer, and it will be back on track soon! #BackInTheSaddleAgain #ThatWillBuffOut

=====

January 6, 2021: In between memes I have to do real work. Took a bunch of pics of this Motion Control Suspension TT2 (internal doubles) for NA/NB MX5, with Vorshlag
                            top mounts and Swift Springs for a winning combination.

This is one of those times where something other than your hard top is worth more than the rest of the car... #MoreThanJustMemes #GoodDampersMatter

-----

Connected the battery, primed the fuel pump, turned the key - and the Coyote 5.0 fired right up after a 2 year slumber! Great oil pressure and it sounds as rowdy and ready as ever.

Our initial "incident repair" work is almost wrapped up before Jamie's ST2 Mustang goes off to the painter for the pretty bits. Waiting on a new pair of side brackets so we can install the new OMP halo seat, then we drive to the trailer and load up.

The Aerocatch latches still work fine, even after a "pretty good nudge", in case you were wondering. This Mustang should be back on track in a few weeks! #TheFirst2021Miracle #CornerPony

-----

While *idiots raid the Capital*, we're here, head down and working hard to keep up with the pace of orders. Bryan and Myles are keeping both CMC mills are running two different Porsche camber plates. They have the CNC lathe just finishing a run of stainless bushings for a huge Ohlins order, and now back to cutting upper perches for several OEM application camber plates.

6thgen Camaro camber plate orders have blown up this week, so we're making an emergency run of those, with another huge truck load of metal coming in. Zach is buried in #LS550 swap motor mount fabrication and welding. Brad is wrapping up work on multiple customer cars and the rest of us are just trying to stay ahead of the phones, emails, and incoming orders. All the while the drywall crew has us walking over ourselves, and painting begins tomorrow.

2021 is off to a crazy but good start, at least within these walls. #Vorshlag #KeepMakingChips

-----

January 7, 2021: Long day - lots of drywall dust, then Brad laid down primer in the lobby.

Amy and I painted some gray in there after 5 while Tim, Zach and Magan looked at the Team Car a lot. They did mount a t-stat housing and made a trunk floor template (for another template). "Progress"

=====

January 8, 2021: Back to some tech sharing #BringTheTech

Rubber coated P-clamps are always handy on a race car build. Sure, we have some specialized brackets for many things, but you always want to keep some of these guys around.
                            This 52 piece kit on Amazon has stainless steel clamps in 6 sizes for $22. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089M25CDP/

=====

January 11, 2021: "Some assembly required" - a pile of parts has to be assembled with the right hardware and the correct adapters to make a working camber plate assembly.

This was a 10 set private label order we built last week, showing the assembly steps as it all went together. #VorshlagBuilt

---

That's What's Up!

Comment

January 11, 2021: Turning metal into chips, and when they all wash away we have beautiful and strong camber plates left behind.

Big batch of 6th gen Camaro camber plates being built this week (we built a batch last week, too!) - the demand for camber for this car model is blowing up right now, so we tripled our batch size. #6thGenCamaro #VorshlagBuilt

---

Now there's another big payout autocross, this time $15K. And King of the Mountain is $25K. Is Optima going to do another $25K event?

https://proautocross.com/ - check it!

-----

January 13, 2021: The best part about having two CNC mills is we can do each side of a 2 sided operation simultaneously.

While these 6th gen Camaro top pointer rings are being made, Zach is welding up batches of the 6th gen bolt rings, and I plan to take all of this to the plater at once. #VorshlagBuilt

-----

We have built a lot of tables, racks, and fixtures for use in the shop over the years. Sometimes it is because nobody makes exactly what we need, or the options out there are too expensive. But when the shop is THIS busy and backed up, it is time to start thinking about buying a pre-made solution rather than tying up shop time making something.

When looking at vertical sheet metal racks, I looked at what a local Metal Supermarkets had (homemade), then we did some online searches. Found this beefy rack from ULine, the packaging people. $420 for a welded, versatile, strong, powder coated rack was by FAR cheaper than the material, billable shop time, and powder coating costs it would have taken to replicate. Of course ... we still modified it. Added four $10/each casters from Northern Tool and a piece of 3/4" plywood to keep the smaller sheet metal drops from falling through. So another $50 to make it just about perfect. All part of a recent push to finish construction, get better organized, six sigma placements. The CNC room is getting much closer to being full setup and optimized... right up until we buy another giant machine.

-----

January 14, 2021: Amy's ScheisseWagon had prematurely worn out the tires we installed new in June 2019 - to the point that they were out of round, cupped, leaking, some TPMS sensors were dead, and the fronts were corded. This car has been eating tires since the day she bought it - and we have replaced everything in the suspension at least once. Yes, it will get another 4 wheel alignment in the next few days.

Yesterday, while doing some Mk6 Golf camber plate development / measuring with this CC (this chassis has the same struts/tower/top mounts) we installed a low cost set of replacement wheels (all four are round now) and fresh Pirelli tires and new 315 MHz TMPS sensors. We could have gone from 18x8" to an 18x9", but... why? It is a "people mover" and nothing more. Wheels were a whopping $122 each.

Unintended benefit: the new wheel and tire package was 6.3 pounds (12.3%) lighter per corner, and that unsprung mass reduction does translate into better ride quality. Was also nice not hearing the "wah-wah-wah" howling (sounded like mud tires) on the road, and we no longer need to check/top off air pressure every time she drives it. #StillHateThisCar

-----

The MOMO Heritage 6 is a flow formed wheel, but it is heavier than some other options out there. But the extra pounds make them strong, which I guess makes for a great street wheel. This custom ordered set of 18x11s went on this tester's 2000 FRC with 315mm Falkens at all four corners last night.

Some additional C5 products will be tested on this car in the coming months. #WeGotTheMeats #Arbys EDIT: apparently the Falen is SUPER chonky, as weight of the bare wheel shows below.

-----

Major "Car Tetris" move inside the shop today. Some neglected cars getting moved front and center for some work, including this wide bodied M3.

The front splitter and rear diffuser were installed, then alignment strings placed underneath so the under chassis flat panels and side aero treatments could be designed and built. Plus some tweaks to the front wheel spats and rear side aero are underway.

Some of the last work needed before it heads off to paint! #ChainsawMassacre

-----

January 15, 2021: Tim, Zach and Magan stayed late last night to work on the #TeamCar, our LS swapped E46 endurance build.

Cage tubes welded in (including some additional foot protection bars), Prius electric assist steering column mounts cut off and modified (new mount coming), dash bar work, new inner door handles mounted and connected, and custom shifter mocked up. Little by little...

---

That's What's Up!

Comment

Working...
                              X