X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fair!
    replied
    Re: Paul Magyar's 1995 Subaru Impreza L - Street Mod/Track build

Project Update for Feb 17, 2010: Went to work on Paul's car last night. Somehow he had convinced Calvin from COBB to stop by and help. Glad he was there, as Calvin knows Subarus better than Paul or I ever will. The first thing I noticed when I showed up was the JDM market STi front bumper cover was installed. The car is a lot better looking already.

The biggest accomplishment of the night was the fuel tank. The '95 tank didn't have provisions for the rear wheel drive axle, so the '07 tank was needed. But the '95 had chassis several missing or different items that the '07 tank would normally connect to. Paul, Calvin and I spent most of the evening re-routing, modifying, and tweaking these differences - luckily Paul had all of the '07 fuel and vent lines. While under the car pounds of dried mud fell into my face, hair and eyes - brotha needs to do some cleaning under this car!

We found and/or made hoses for all of the different ports on the '07 tank and made it all work (well... we'll know for sure when its fired up). Calvin was pretty certain we took care of everything properly, and he's done some funky Subaru swaps. We mounted the tank, fuel filler lines, fuel feed/return/vent lines, and most importantly - installed the rear wiring harness above the tank from the '04 harness (by this time the missing '04 harness bits were found). This harness had to be routed above the tank, so the tank had been waiting to go in for weeks until the new harness was sourced/found. The tank is all buttoned up and awaiting the rear subframe install next...

The Mishimoto aluminum radiator went in place, and fit beautifully. The new '07 STi rear subframe shown below was to be installed next, followed by a bunch of other rear suspension parts, but Paul somehow lost the subframe mounting bolts... both sets. The ones from the '95 and the ones from the '07 were both missing. We spent a good 30 minutes tearing apart his garage looking for those 4 bolts, to no avail. Messy is inefficient.

Oh well, until next time.
    Last edited by Fair!; 12-16-2010, 10:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Fair!
    replied

Quick update for Feb 12, 2010: Just a few updates here. Paul has been rounding up parts in a bit of a February Frenzy. Here's some of the things he has nabbed in the past 2 weeks:

• JDM market aluminum GC chassis hood. 22.4 pounds (see above)
    • Some used stock '06 STi struts for temporary use - so we can get the car rolling before the custom AST4200RRs arrive.
    • Used, complete gauge cluster/body/engine/fuel tank wiring harness from an '05 STi. The '04 harness he got previously was missing one sub-harness (that he later found - having a clean garage and accurate labeling is crucial!)
    • Used '05 STi pedal box assembly
    • Used '05 STi dash bar brackets
    • Used '05 STi Brembo brake calipers/brackets for front and rear

We also dropped off the longblock and other engine parts at WattsShop - a local engine builder experienced with complete Subaru engine builds.

Once the new main wiring harness arrives we can start to put that in, then the HVAC, dash, and interior. Then the fuel tank, rear subframe, and all of the (temporary/stock) suspension can go back in. Then brakes, wheels/tires, and it should roll. After it rolls around here, the car heads to COBB for some wiring/splicing/programming magic and tuning work.

At least that The Plan.

More soon,
    Last edited by Fair!; 12-16-2010, 10:27 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Miatamoto
    replied
    Re: Paul Magyar's 1993 Subaru Impreza L - Street Mod/Track build

Looks great Paul!

Leave a comment:

• Paul
    replied

Project update for Feb 2, 2010: Paul took a quick picture of some work he did on the dash.

Here is a picture of everything mocked up except the dash bar. The heater box/blower motor unit and dash were easier to install than I originally thought. I have figured out how to install the dash bar correctly thanks to a thread on rs25.com.

'07 STi dash in '95 Impreza - mock-up
    Of course the dash bar was more difficult to install than he originally thought. We ended up modifying the brackets a bit and got it to bolt in. I think we show that in a later post.
    Last edited by Fair!; 12-16-2010, 10:23 AM. Reason: resized/cleaned up picture

Leave a comment:

• Fair!
    replied

Update for Jan 26, 2010: Went by to work on Paul's car after earlier taking some measurement's on McCall's Z3 LS1 project. Paul didn't have many parts to install onto the '93 that night, so I took the chance to document a little of the work he'd done earlier that week. The engine bay brake lines, ABS hydraulic unit, and some other bits from the '07 STi bolted right into the '93... gotta love a long lived chassis with tons of carryover! There's a couple of holes to drill, and a few broken plastic retainer clips he needs to replace, but for the most part everything bolted right up. Even the '07 brake booster is going to fit. The pedal assembly? Not so much. More on that in another installment.

We also mocked up the '07 HVAC under-dash modules. The center section contains the heater core and evap core, so we removed the evap core (this car won't have air con, but it will have a heater and defroster), which came out cleanly. A small block-off plate from sheet aluminum will cover the hole in the HVAC box that the evap core's intake/exhaust lines left behind. We then realized we needed to drill new holes in the firewall for the 2 heater lines, so Paul was tasked with rounding up some hole saws and unibits, which he has since acquired.

Later this same week Paul started to reinstall the engine bay harness (the '93 cbody harness and the '07 engine harness). He also had a windshield guy come by and remove the front windshield, cleanly and intact (he could have re-installed the old, uncracked stock windshield, but a new one will only be a few bucks more, and new windshields always look clearer than 18 year old stock units). Having that out of the car gives us ample access to be able to fit the '07 STi dash into the '95 unImpreza. The '07 unit is longer and has to be trimmed ever so slightly at the lower edge of the windshield to line up. He's also sourcing some 2 door Impreza 2.5 RS door panels, which better line up to the '07 dash contours.

Fitting the newer STi dash bar, HVAC modules, wiring harness/ECM, dash/gauges and making the new and old interior bits fit together is the trickiest part of this swap, but it will look factory when finished - if done right. The drivetrain and brake system swaps are themselves fairly straightforward and mostly "bolt-in" affairs. There's probably 25-30+ dash mock-ups/mod steps in our future. Entire companies exist to create these types of new-into-old Subaru drivetrain, wiring and interior swaps.

More soon...
    Last edited by Fair!; 12-15-2010, 05:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• modernbeat
    replied

Originally posted by Fair! View Post
    Let's vote for "spraying" on some product this time.
    New flavor of the day for painting wheelwells and other high abrasion or rock-chip prone areas is Macropoxy.

http://protective.sherwin-williams.c...3Aproduct-6842

There's a thread on RallyAnarchy and/or Special Stage showing it's application with brushes and rollers. Apparently spraying it takes special equipment.

Leave a comment:

• Fair!
    replied

Update for Jan 20, 2010: Paul and I did some engine bay painting last night, using a POR-15 brand product. It was recommended to use a specific multi-step cleaning process (that sucked) and foam brush to apply the product on in 2 coats (the brushes REALLY sucked). This was a huge frakking mess, and the cleaning supplies they sold Paul really didn't cut it. Brake Parts Cleaner to the rescue!

After a partial first coat was showing massive fish-eyes from oil still on the surface, this still tacky coat was removed via brake cleaner. Next, all of the engine bay sheet metal was really de-greased with brake cleaner. Then we applied a fresh coat of white, waited 2 hours, and applied the other. Looks pretty good, for a brushed on finish (some drips & runs), but its not as nice as it should have been for all the work that went into prepping this engine bay. There are still a few areas I would have cleaned and prepped better, but you don't really see those once the parts are back in. Paul was happy with it; I was indifferent. If you go to a POR-15 coating, PREP THE METAL PROPERLY. All surfaces should be thoroughly degreased with the proper solvents.

In hindsight... probably should have gone the extra effort and sprayed the engine bay with a proper 2-part urethane automotive paint finish. I won't be recommending this brush-on POR-15 crap to anyone, personally. Short cutting the proper preparation process always ends up with compromises.

Next up: painting the front inner fender structures. Paul has spent some quality time with "The Crudbuster", a whirling dervish of a power tool with nasty metal brushes, and removed "20 years of crud" from the underside of the front fender sheetmetal. Let's vote for "spraying" on some product this time, please? And the AST shocks are finally about to be ordered.

I cannot wait to see this thing back on 4 wheels...
    Last edited by Fair!; 12-15-2010, 05:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Paul
    replied

I will be starting at 6. Pizza order at 7.

Leave a comment:

• McCall
    replied

Originally posted by Paul View Post
    Yep, that is one of the cars that has inspired this project.

This Tuesday is putting in the new wiring harness (from the 2004 STi). I think this is the hardest part of the whole project, there are no directions.

-Paul
    What time are we starting?

Leave a comment:

• Paul
    replied

Yep, that is one of the cars that has inspired this project.

This Tuesday is putting in the new wiring harness (from the 2004 STi). I think this is the hardest part of the whole project, there are no directions.

-Paul

Leave a comment:

• Fair!
    replied

Trying to schedule a bi-weekly work night for both Paul and McCall's cars. This Teusday Dec 22 = Paul's car!

Leave a comment:

• Shortcutsleeping
    replied

Do this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulxgwQ6lGu4

Costas
    cars and such...

Leave a comment:

• Fair!
    replied

Project Update for Nov 23, 2009: We've been tearing into our GRM $2010 E30 project for the past 2 months, but Paul's project has been a bit slower going. As I said in my September update, Paul was busy for a while there and got the stock drivetrain, front suspension/brakes/subframe, and the entire rear suspension out. I just finally got a chance to snap some pics. Here's how the car looked Nov. 22 when I went by to help him on the car for about 4 hours...

The stock '93 Impreza drivetrain and suspension were all removed in September

Unfortunately the project has been totally stalled out for the past 6 weeks, so he needed a "jump start" (literally!) to get going again. His old truck hadn't been started in 2 months and it was dead as a doornail. I dropped by with the jump box, we got it fired up, then headed to Henry's house to pick up the 2004 STI longblock (used for a core) that he had sold Paul. This will be dropped off soon at COBB Plano (actually it went to The WattShop), along with the new pistons, cams, ARP bolts and other assorted bits for reassembly.

Motor parts ready to go to the engine builder

Paul's garage was a bit cluttered and hard to work in, so we started out by doing some cleanup. We also hung a new, ginormous "white board" and I made some "to do lists" for this project as well as 2 other vehicles he needs to sell. The old '95 front seats went in the truck to take to the dump, then we disassembled the rear subframe and suspension and it all went into the recycle bin (the steel).

Next we pulled the stock fuel tank, which was a 2 man job since it still had 8+ gallons of old, nasty fuel inside. We managed to get it out and only cut one line, and didn't spill a drop. Once it was out we pulled the fuel pump/pickup/sender assembly and drained the contents into a 5 gallon bucket, then poured that into two 5 gallon fuel jugs using a cardboard funnel (reminder - go buy some damn funnels, Paul!). Then the tank was allowed to air out; later it will get recycled, too.

Left: the used 07 STI rear subframe was totally bent. Right: New replacement subframe from Subaru will bolt-in

The other big step planned for today that needed 2 people was the stock dash and main harness removal. The stock '95 Impreza dash was coming out and a '07 STI dash is going back in its place. A wiring harness from an '04 STI is going to power the car and dash, or so the plan goes. We removed dozens and dozens of screws, bolts and removed the old dash in pieces. The main support beam came out next, then the HVAC components came out in 3 separate sections - blower motor, evep coil and heater core.

Next we discombobulated both the main dash/HVAC/circuit breaker harness and the engine harness, which ran from the dash area to the engine compartment in two separate runs. The '07 STI dash was then mocked up and its a really good fit. After some minor trimming it should "look factory" and will improve the layout and interior considerably, not to mention it will house all of the diff control switches and other differences between the '95 Impreza and an '07 STI.

Left: both wiring harnesses removed. Right: '07 dash mocked up

Lastly I showed Paul how to clean up a section of the underhood bud disaster area, using my top secret cleaning techniques. "We made a clean spot" so now he has to finish the rest. By day's end, a good chunk of work was knocked out and Paul is back on track, with plenty of sub-projects planned for the 2009 Winter Holiday break.

More soon,
    Last edited by Fair!; 12-15-2010, 05:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Fair!
    replied

Project Update for Oct 26, 2009: Not much to report yet. Paul has been piddling around with the car and after borrowing some tools to get some stubborn seat belt bolts (pinhead torx) removed last week. All he has left in the interior is the old dash to remove, then the new '04 STi chassis harness can go in, and the '08 STi dash can be trimmed and installed over that. Once that happens the rest of the interior starts to fall into place. Should?

I just noticed a few flared Impreza pics and thought I'd post:

OK, this is a little bit much, but you get the idea...

Being a 2 door the flares on the rear will be easier to do on Paul's '95 Impreza. Which is a plus since I'll probably be doing those...

More soon,
    Last edited by Fair!; 12-15-2010, 05:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• GotCone?
    replied

That is not a 'stock STi front bumper' It is either the STi Sport front bumper (can be purchased as an aftermarket part from STi, not an OE option) or a true 22B front bumper.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X