• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hancheyb
    replied
    Re: 1997 BMW M3, SCCA STU and BMW G Class

Originally posted by John in Houston
    Brian... how difficult is it to get to the adjusters on the front / rear? The rear looks pretty easy from the photo... but I can't quite tell where the adjuster is on (what I beleive) is the photo of the front strut.
    It is on the bottom of the strut. Turn the wheel, reach in and adjust it.

Leave a comment:

• John in Houston
    replied

Brian... how difficult is it to get to the adjusters on the front / rear? The rear looks pretty easy from the photo... but I can't quite tell where the adjuster is on (what I beleive) is the photo of the front strut.

Leave a comment:

• hancheyb
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Fair!
    replied

Wow, blown away with the performance of the AST doubles. Having the ability to dump all compression for a rainy, bumpy course made a huge difference at Mineral Wells - giving me a 3-4 second lead after 4 runs in the drizzle. There was also a huge bump at the finish corner I could take WOT that put most drivers into a spin or a wider line avoiding - big monotube pistons can soak up these high speed bumps like NOTHING else. =)

On Sunday we played with real compression settings and my inexperience allowed me to set one side different from the other, which rightfully made the car handle differently side to side. Load gun, aim at foot, shoot.

When I didn't have the shocks set bass-akwards the car felt better than ever, with my second run Sunday at TMS good for 8th in PAX. Feel good about the M3's chances this year, if we can get the good tires for it.

Bridgestone only makes a 245 in 17" (cheap at $147/ea - $25 rebate) so the 265/35/18 is the only choice ($249/ea!?). This will require 18" wheels, fender rolling up front, and some luck. Wheels are inbound: 18x9 and 18x10 LTWs by D-Force.

Leave a comment:

• hancheyb
    replied

We put the AST double adjustable prototypes on the M3 this weekend. Compression adjustment is awesome and came in handy with a rainy Saturday (see blog entry). We also replaced the 90 N/mm springs with 100 N/mm springs in the front. Car is working great!

Leave a comment:

• hancheyb
    replied

We took this car to the BMW club meeting last night. With the new AST suspension, it rides like a Cadillac!! I can't believe it. 117k miles, suspension is "as quiet as a mouse", not rattles in the whole car. Sunday we'll see if the AST suspension performs. Unfortunately this event is at the tight Pennington Field which always seems to favor AWD cars, but we'll see. The Fairs will have to work their magic.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X