Note:These are custom order shocks and take approximately 6-8 weeks to be built. PLEASE call in your order to place a deposit if you don't want to be charged the full amount up front.
Note: When comparing pricing with other AST dealers, make sure you are comparing the "shocks only" price. If their price is lower, their pricing is incorrect and out of date.
If kits are backordered, expect 6-10 weeks for delivery. Please call for current stocking status.
Please call us for pricing and ordering information on AST 5200's & AST 5300's.
The 5000 Series damper stands as AST's full race setup. It is available in one, two and three way adjustments. 5000 Series coilovers are fully streetable but utilize the full race components like inverted struts, teflon flat bearings and spherical bearing mounts. 5000 Series coilovers are great for competitors with points based rules or rule-free damper requirements. The 5100 gives the customer the ability to have the highest end components without running reservoirs. 5200 models use remote reservoirs or "piggyback" reservoirs to control low speed compression. 5300 models use remote reservoirs or "piggyback" reservoirs to control low and high speed compression.
- Monotube shocks and struts that use 44.5mm shafts for struts and 14mm shafts for shocks
- Nitrogen charged to 265 psi for all models
- Utilizes AST's Load Bearing Piston (LBP) for all strut designs (AST is the only coilover in this price range to use this feature)
- Steel bodied struts use European KTL coating which is stronger and more weather resistant than powder coat or wet paint found on most shocks
- All shock models use high grade aircraft aluminum for bodies
- All shock models (where applicable) use spherical bearing mounting points. Pin style spherical top mounts are available for purchase separately
- Available as Rebound-only adjustable (5100) or Rebound/Compression adjustable (5200), Rebound/Low Speed Compression/High Speed Compression (5300)
- Fully rebuildable and revalvable
- Shortened appropriately for lowered race cars
- All kits include hardware for installation
- The 5000 series have been tested at events including the 24 Hours of Nurburgring, SCCA Nationals, NASA Nationals, 25 Hours of Thunderhill and Grand Am races
- Wins in Redline Time Attack, SCCA Nationals, and NASA Nationals
- Valved for an agressive street ride that performs great at the track
One key feature on the 5000 series shocks is modularity, which makes them easily upgradeable. This provides an upgrade path for customers on a tight budget that want an adjustable, high performance, race-ready shock but can't quite afford the double adjustable 5200 or triple adjustable 5300. Simply purchase 5100s, and when you're ready, send your ASTs to an authorized rebuild center to upgrade them to 5200s or 5300s with remote reservoirs. Rest easy knowing that your shock absorber investment will perform today and in the future, as your budget and needs grow.
(Click on thumbnails for larger image. BMW E36 5100 shocks shown; springs and camber plates are optional)
Parts Included in the basic AST 5000 kit:
- 2 AST 5100 Single Adjustable (12 adj, Rebound only) Monotube Front Inverted Struts (no reservoirs) with alloy steel strut bodies
- 2 AST 5100 Single Adjustable (12 adj, Rebound only) Monotube Rear Shocks (no reservoirs) with threaded aluminum shock bodies and spherical lower shock mount
- AST upper spring perches for 60mm springs, for use on the front struts and your OEM upper strut top mounts (we do not recommend using the 5100 dampers without the Vorshlag camber plates)
- AST Tool Kit
Also note: the rear shock in this kit is made to work with a spring in the OEM location ("true coilover" rear shock conversion kits are available for BMWs on all 5000 series rear shocks, which come with externally threaded aluminum rear shock bodies). Please call for more details.
AST coilovers are monotube, high pressure nitrogen shock absorbers. Why do you care? Most other products on the market are twin tube designs and are not pressurized, or only have 1-2 atmospheres of Nitrogen in a little bag inside. Monotube shocks offer the biggest pistons for more control. High Nitrogen gas pressurization in Monotubes (8-12 atmospheres) means the oil will never cavitate around the piston. This is particularly important in environments where the vehicle makes rapid changes in direction such as autocross and road racing. Monotubes also allow for a wider damping range and can more easily provide a better ride with stiffer spring rates - we usually start with 3X the stock rates and often go to 6-7X the stock spring rates, even on street driven cars. This is the same technology used on $7,000-10,000 shocks packaged here in a competitively priced kit. Custom Valving
AST-USA is setup to offer custom valving services to our customers, including dyno services on our Roehrig 2VS shock dyno; they can even rate your old springs if you are curious (fees apply). There's no need to find a third party company to get your custom valving applied - Just send them back to AST-USA or one of the AST Authorized Rebuild Centers we'll get you the rates you need (fees apply).
Who is AST? Check out the video and additional company information on the AST-USA website.
Shock Tuning Help?
New to adjustable shocks, or have had them before but not the knowledge to tune them to alter the car's handling? We are here to help. Please click here for our AST Shock Tuning Guide to get a good head start on the process. Once you start using adjustable shocks, especially high end monotubes that make a noticeable damping change with each click, you'll wonder why you didn't start off with these sooner!
Choose the appropriate options and model alterations from the drop down menus below. These options will affect the final price as shown for each option. All optional packages and parts include significant discounts when purchased with shocks rather than buying the parts separately.
CAMBER PLATES : We highly recommend Vorshlag camber plates be used with AST strut kits, but the shocks can be used with the OEM upper strut mount for racers on an extreme budget and/or where class rules do not allow an upper camber plate (such as SCCA Stock Class). Easily adjust camber track side with Vorshlag camber/caster plates. Over-sized spherical bearings are designed to withstand the rigors of street and track abuse. All components are plated for maximum corrosion resistance and long life. Please see the product entries on this website for more information about the Vorshlag camber plates and perches. Ordering this option includes the associated Vorshlag upper spring perches made to work with these plates, 60mm springs and AST struts.
REAR SHOCK MOUNTS : Optional Rear Shock Mounts include AST-USA Spherical design or Heavy Duty rubber E46 M3 style. We recommend the spherical RSMs for most users that see any competition use, such as autocross or track events. If the car is a daily driven vehicle only and/or the user is worried about bad roads and any additional NVH transmitted through a rear spherical mount, then choose the HD rubber style instead. The advantage to spherical RSMs is their ability to transmit reactions to shock forces instantly and direct - something that shows up on a shock dyno plot.
VORSHLAG RSM REINFORCEMENT KIT : Many BMW models are prone to cracks near the rear, upper shock mount bolt holes from both street/track use with higher cornering loads (and higher damper forces) as well as normal street use over extended time periods. Bolt these steel reinforcement plates on top of the rear shock tower sheet metal to strengthen this known weak area and prevent these cracks. Can be used with OEM style rubber RSMs or spherical RSMs. Can be bolted or welded in place. To install just place above the shock tower, underneath the RSM top nuts, as shown below - takes mere minutes to install.
SPRING RATES : While AST-USA provides you with the shocks only, Vorshlag offers the unique option for racers to pick their own front and rear spring rates at a reduced cost. These options will included new Hyperco springs from our recommended packages, AST rear ride height adjusters, and nylon rear spring alignment platforms. The spring options listed include our GT package for daily driven cars, the GTS package for street cars that are also used in autocross and/or track events and the GTR package for race cars that predominantly see track use. If you would like to order custom rates not listed here, please give us a call.
All Hyperco springs are measured in inch lengths and rate is in pounds of force per inch of travel (lbs/in). To convert to metric length multiply inches x 25.4. To convert to Newtons/mm for rate you need to divide the lbs/in number by 5.7. To convert rate to Kg/cm divide the lbs/in rate by 57.
- 2 Front 60mm Coilover Springs, 180mm (7") Long
- 2 Rear 60mm Coilover Springs, 140mm (5.5") Long
- AST Rear Ride Height Adjusters
- 2 Rear Spring Alignment Platforms
- Vorshlag's GT Package is 7" x 500 #/in Front / 5.5" x 550 #/in Rear
- Vorshlag's GTS Package is 7" x 550 #/in Front / 5.5" x 650 #/in Rear
- Vorshlag's GTR package is 7" x 600 #/in Front, 5.5" x 750 #/in Rear
- We stock Hyperco 6" (front) springs in 450, 500, 550, 600, 700, 800. and 900 #/in rates.
- We stock Hyperco 5.5" (rear) springs in 550, 650, and 750 #/in rates.
|Rear Shock Mounts: