Go Back   Vorshlag Motorsports Forum > Vorshlag Motorsports Discussions > Vorshlag Project Cars

Unread 07-06-2017, 12:56 PM
I blame the internet

Default Re: Vorshlag Ford Focus RS Development Thread

Project Update for July 7th, 2017: I started writing this follow up post in late August 2016... then got busy on other projects and write-ups, then some production parts we made for the Focus chassis project took longer than expected, etc. We finally have all of the parts built, on our website, and ready for other ST and RS owners. But in late 2016 we did a good bit of testing, upgrades, and made the Focus a lot faster on track. Wider wheels, lots of camber, more spring rate, better dampers, and fat tires all worked as expected. This post covers all of that and more.

Todd's test mule RS also got a pre-production oil cooler, two vented hoods, better brake pads and many more parts. This Focus was raced in many Optima events, competed in the GTA Super Lap Battle, and was even shown in a booth at SEMA 2016. Since my July 2016 test laps in the RS at MSR I've been back for 13 more tests at this same track in a variety of cars, so we have some good data to compare against. At the end I've added 4 Optima event videos the RS' owner Todd made, which are excellent. We have almost 10 months of stuff to cover so let's get to it.

PROTOTYPE SUSPENSION INSTALLATION

We knew immediately after our track test that the Focus needed a lot of help with the suspension - the much touted adjustable shocks were nothing special: just ordinary twin tube shocks with some small range of damping adjustment.

The main issue was that the spring rates (and swaybars) were super soft and letting the top heavy/front heavy chassis roll too much in turns. This puts the wheels into positive camber under load, which shreds the outside of the tires and reduces grip substantially. Instead of just complaining about the problems, we developed a multifaceted solution.

As I've noted in our previous posts and videos about the 3rd gen Focus suspension, there were some serious challenges to making an adjustable front camber plate that would allow for any negative camber adjustment. There was simply nowhere for the large diameter OEM spring to go inside the strut tower - a geometric limitation we couldn't fix while keeping the stock style springs. The giant formed "lip" shaped around the stock strut top mount also really tied out hands, as making something tall enough to slide under that lip would raise the car a half inch or more. We really need to slide the top of the strut assembly inboard about 3/4" to make a measurable difference in negative camber travel, and this big car needs a LOT of camber help.

Again, a spring rate increase was needed. The only real way to make meaningful spring rate increases are to switch to coilovers - which gives us nearly an infinite number of lengths and rates to choose from. The smaller diameter coilover spring would fit better within the confines of the strut tower, allowing for camber adjustment.

Going to coilovers and higher spring rates would trigger a need for better dampers, with a more robust monotube style being key. After taking a lot of measurements we found one monotube coilover option available in 2016 - something not listed for the RS but one which we felt we could adapt. The inverted Bilstein PSS kit above was purchased, and we got to work on the camber plate design right after our first track test.

Making the prototype set of camber plates was next. Due to the goofy flange that stuck down under the strut tower we had to make the top of the camber plate assembly (a piece we call the "top ring" or "pointer ring") thicker than normal. We pushed forward with a "coilover only" camber plate version, as we honestly felt anyone with an RS that was serious about track use would jettison the factory shocks and springs quickly.

There was a lot of running around to make these happen in a very short amount of time which I am glossing over. CAD design, CAM programming, CNC machining the camber plate parts (in-house), CNC plasma cutting the top rings and bolt rings (on Todd's own machine) hand fabricating bolt rings, etc. We rated the springs that came with the Bilstein PSS kit and they were still too soft, so we sourced Hyperco 60mm coilover springs in much higher rates. This prototype set of camber-caster adjustable plates were assembled with the Hyperco springs, our tender springs, and the Bilstein PSS coilover front struts.

ViolÓ! Massive improvement up front. The smaller diameter springs left plenty of room to move the strut inboard, the camber plates allowed this much needed adjustment, and the thicker "top pointer ring" let the camber plates slide under the raised lip of the bottom of the strut tower. Normally this top ring (shown in black above) is .100 to .250" thick, but in this case it needed to be .500" thick to clear the formed flange under the strut tower. For the prototypes we used two stacked .250" steel top rings, but for the production version we made them out of .500" aluminum.

A trick we do all the time was employed here - convert a Bilstein PSS series coilover to 60mm Id springs, which allows us to customize the spring rate. Lots of these PSS kits come with a weird "tapered" spring: 60mm ID at the bottom and blooms up to the large OEM size at the top - made to work with the factory upper spring perch and top mount. We replace the upper perch with one from our camber plate kit and add a 60mm main spring + tender spring to fill in the gap.

If you look at the above right picture you might notice that we the installed strut/spring/top mount with more negative camber and more positive caster. As you can see the top of the strut pin slides under the small raised section of the strut tower for much more camber & caster travel than than we would normally see.

Out back we pulled the soft, tall, large diameter OEM springs and tried to install the rear ride height adjusters that came in the PSS kit. We had to modify those to fit the RS rear suspension mounting. We will make a production ride height adjuster to work with the RS for these kits plus coilovers from MCS and other brands.

With the ride height adjusters modified we were finally able to install the 60mm Hyperco rear springs that matched the front rates. The non-adjustable monotube rear dampers from the PSS kit were bolted in without any issue.

Above is with ride heights set. It looks low but that's because the stock ride heights are fairly tall. With the new, shorter Bilstein shocks on the car we started the setup with shock stroke numbers of 3/5ths bump & 2/5ths rebound travel. This is the safest starting point for a given shock length. With the suspension installed and some added camber dialed in we could measure for wider wheels. We noted that a 9.5" wide wheel would fit with the lowered and cambered setup, so we immediately ordered 18x9.5" F14 wheels from Forgestar. They showed up raw in about 7 weeks, which is pretty fast for them to make custom wheels.

Without time to track test the new suspension we set camber somewhat conservatively at -3.0░ up front and -1.3░ rear (we later increased the front camber setting to -3.5░, and there is more camber plate travel to go). We maxed out the added positive caster and still had plenty of negative camber travel. Todd had an Optima event he had to leave for immediately so we sent him out the door with the new Bilstein coilover shocks, firmer spring rates and new camber/caster settings but still with the stock wheels and tires. The wheels took a long time to get so he ended up doing 4 more events on the factory 235mm MPSS tires and heavy 19x8" wheels.

MISHIMOTO OIL COOLER + THROTTLE PEDAL SPACER

During one of the checkups we were performing on Todd's RS, we removed the front end so we could investigate where to place a large external oil cooler. The car had been dealing with high oil temps in both our tests as well as the Optima events Todd was entering. After a COBB Accessport was added the digital readout of oil temp was monitored closely, and it was very hot (over 280░F) when driven on track, even with bone stock power levels.

We had planned on using a large Setrab cooler but it would take a lot of modification of the factory radiator shroud plastics to make it fit. The pictures with the front bumper of the RS was seen by the folks at Mishimoto and they reached out to us about an oil cooler they had designed - which they needed tested on a track driven RS. Since Todd's RS was one of the first being run in competition (with Optima) on a road course, this worked out perfectly.

After Todd came back from another Optima event (after we had installed the suspension) the Mishimoto bits arrived. The prototype kit was well appointed and came with the heat exchanger, pre-made braided oil lines, mounting brackets, and an oil filter sandwich plate take-off / thermostatic bypass. It also had the fabricated aluminum shroud shown above with an integrated air scoop to better feed the stock airbox. We got the second prototype and tweaked a few things and shared that with Mishi engineers before they put this kit into production.

Due to extreme packaging constraints the return oil line passed behind the heat exchanger, so we thermal shielded the braided line to keep it from getting re-heated. The kit installed cleanly and was a lot easier (and less costly) than the massive unit we had planned - which would have required a lot of custom changes to the OEM parts that we couldn't easily un-do.

The oil cooler fits above the bumper beam behind the upper grill, and doesn't block any airflow to the intercooler. Since we drained the oil for this install we went back with Motul 5W50 Ester based synthetic oil. This is a really good oil that bridges the gap from their street car 8100 synthetic oils to their full ester based 300V racing oil. We use this 5W50 Motul in high powered and turbocharged cars that see heavy track use in high heat environments. The oil cooler install + oil change took 4.24 hours, including removing and reinstalling the front bumper and all of the plastics.

Mishimoto also sent us this throttle pedal extension block, which we installed behind the factory drive-by-wire throttle pedal at the firewall. The idea is that the gas pedal will be too low relative to the brake pedal when you are doing heel-toe downshifts on track. I didn't notice this during the baseline track tests but I've driven some janky cars with wacky pedal setups, and it doesn't seem to be something that bothers me. It might be a huge improvement - I've driven the car since and forgot to even think about this change. This took .69 hours to remove the stock pedal, install the extension block, and reinstall the pedal assembly.

continued below

Last edited by Fair!; 07-07-2017 at 10:08 AM.
Unread 07-06-2017, 12:57 PM
I blame the internet

continued from above

TALKING ABOUT CURB WEIGHTS = I BOUGHT ANOTHER CAR

In my previous post about the Focus RS here in August 2016, I showed the weight of a stock BRZ weight at 2775 pounds, and noted that it had 56% front weight bias - which is unusually front heavy for a RWD car. Seeing this BRZ weight reminded me how much fun lightweight cars can be, then some other factors about our V8 swap kit for the 86 chassis popped up that made me think about buying an "86" chassis again (BRZ/FR-S/GT86). Later in August 2016 we bought a 2013 Scion FR-S for a great price, and started documenting the progress in an existing FRS/BRZ development thread. And damn if this FR-S wasn't another 140 pounds lighter than the BRZ we weighed back in 2013...

Compared to the 3445 pound weight of the RS, this 2634 pound FR-S was 811 pounds lighter - that's a huge amount. We did some basic repairs to this used FR-S, got it back into showroom stock shape, even installed stock sized 215mm tires with 320 treadwear to be as close to the stock junk that came on these cars.

I'm showing this for a reason: we took the little FR-S to the same test track (MSR-C 1.7 CCW) to get some baseline bone stock laps, which shows several things.

First, even at 811 pounds lighter race weight than the RS, the FR-S was slower on track by about 4.5 seconds (1:27.4 vs 1:31.9) in stock vs stock form. We tested the FR-S in very similar conditions and of course with the same hack driver (me). The FR-S handled much better (beautifully neutral) in stock form but the lack of power was very apparent. 200 hp vs 300 hp makes for a 50% bump from the FR-S to the RS, which is hard to ignore, even with the weight difference.

FRS: 2634 pound curb weight + 200 pound driver / 200 hp = 14.17 pounds per hp.
RS: 3644 + 200 pounds / 300 hp = 12.15 pounds per hp.

As I say all the time, on a road course there are two key ratios: power-to-weight and tire-to-weight. The p-to-w differences shown above don't seem like much but 2 points here is typical of the difference between one full class jump in NASA Time Trial. We wanted to track test some theories on this FR-S which might be applied to the RS later. One of those was adding a Big Brake Kit upgrade for the front of the FR-S, and the other was adding only front camber.

Even with somewhat "neutral handling" the front tires were still rolling over on track and chunking the outer shoulders of the 215mm tires with the stock camber (-0.8 deg). On this 86 - like most chassis - we were able to make a camber plate that works with the OEM springs, which made for a -2.9░ front camber setting at stock ride height (we tracked it at -2.5░). The big brake upgrade seemed unnecessary, because even with AutoZone brake pads the FR-S' stock brakes seemed bullet proof on track, but I was wrong - this upgrade helped drop lap times. There is no substitute for Motorsport level brake calipers and rotors.

A retest later showed that the added negative camber + BBK, but still on junk tires, netted a 2.3 second drop, getting down to 1:29.6 laps at MSR-C. That time matches what I ran in the RS when in the normal driving mode back in our baseline Focus track testing. So it was catching up...

WHEEL SPACERS, LONG WHEEL STUDS, AND BIG WHEEL UPGRADE

We had designed the 18x9.5" wheel to be rotatable front to rear, to keep the tire wear even. To do this we needed a 15mm spacer installed up front. We ordered these hubcentric spacers from H&R, shown below.

We knew the stock studs would be too short, but I'm showing this to prove why.

These spacers came with studs but they looked a bit short, so we ordered some ARP wheel studs (for another application - that took some research) that were a fully 3" long. To install these we needed to remove the front hubs...

The retaining nut was removed then we tried to pull the hub off on the car. Nope. Then the spindle was removed and inspected - looking for a snap ring to retain the bearing. Turns out that retaining ring that holds the front wheel bearing inside the spindle is impossible to remove once the hub is installed (there is no access). One of my technicians fought with this for a while and finally had to break the bearing on the 20 ton hydraulic press to get the hubs out. We ordered replacement name brand bearings and snap rings from a local supplier that had the right part number in stock that day - we were short on time before Todd's next event.

With the new bearing and snap ring installed into the spindle, the hub had the ARP wheel studs pressed in and then the hub was pressed into the bearing. Once the hub was on again, the snap ring becomes inaccessible. PRO TIP: only buy front wheel bearings from the Ford dealer! About a week after this wheel stud install both front wheel bearings started to fail... made noises, got louder, had to be replaced. The Ford bearings take longer to get and costs more, but they last.

With the ARP studs installed now we had more than enough length past the 15mm spacer to engage the lug nuts.

The tires arrived right as the wheels did, we mounted them on the raw aluminum wheels, and got them on the car.

The image above shows one of our "secrets" to stuffing wide wheels under a car - keeping as much wheel "inboard" as possible, as close to the strut as possible, by getting the spring package "Above the tire". This worked out perfectly, but took calculations for spring and tire heights and rates.

With the tires mounted they were driven around the block to check for rub. As the picture above shows there was a plastic wear block that got close to the rear tires but it proved to not be an issue.

Now we had upgraded suspension and big grippy tires. Track test!

SCCA TRACK NIGHT at MSR-C, SEPTEMBER 27, 2016

It was time to get the RS back out on our test track after we had made all of these changes to the suspension, wheels and tires. We wanted to see how much, if any, improvement was made. Todd was loving the changes and doing much better in Optima competition but we wanted to go back to the same test track with the same driver (me) to test against the baseline lap times. Like I said earlier, we did a lot of testing in a variety of cars at MSR-Cresson in 2016 so I have a lot of cars' lap times to compare with.

Event photo gallery: https://vorshlag.smugmug.com/Racing-...-MSR-C-092716/

We brought the Focus RS and the FR-S both out to this SCCA "Track Night In America" event, where Todd and I did a lot of testing and changes on the RS. These are somewhat unstructured track events held on weekday afternoons (3-8 pm) for lower costs. We got 3 sessions in the Advanced group which turned out to be ideal for testing. The weather was mild (79░F) and the traffic was somewhat light on track. Todd brought his RS towing a tire trailer with the big Forgestar wheels and new Bridgestone RE71R tires, lots of tools, plus his co-pilot Violet the dog.

We used the 3 sessions to perform three separate track tests in the Focus, which would verify updates from the suspension only (stock wheels/tires used in test 1), wheel and tire upgrades (test 2), and a boosted tune (test 3). We were busy swapping wheels/tires, changing settings, and monitoring the many cameras, data loggers, and timers (7 in total).

For the first session in the Advanced run group I got to grid early, hoping to lead the pack of cars out and get some clear laps. I had some big horsepower cars behind me but I got a good lead and had a couple of laps without traffic to learn the new setup and push the little Michelins as hard as I could. We ran the RS in "drift" mode for all 3 tests and it felt fine. This mode had the least number of "weird interactions" from the on-board computers.

Test 1 went smoothly and using the old 235mm MPSS street tires on the stock 19x8" wheels - along with the upgraded coilovers & camber plates - the lap times dropped to a 1:26.212. Before the coilovers, springs and camber plates the stock Focus RS was a bit of an understeering mess on track, but after these changes it handled much more neutrally - the "massive understeer" became much more manageable.

Before this day's test we have done the baseline MSR test when it was bone stock (where it ran a 1:27.4 in July). So right off the bat we had dropped 1.2 seconds with these suspension changes, still using the stock tires. But these tires were not fresh, and this first test session was the last laps for the original Michelin tires....

I drove the RS pretty hard that day and the images above show the damage to the outside front (RF) tire after this 15 minute session of driving. Big chunks of tread started coming off and this tire was done for. This damage was accumulated over many events run on the soft, rolly-polly, stock RS suspension with not enough camber. These tires already had 10,000 miles of cross country driving and 5 track weekends on them, and a short lifespan is to be expected on the stock setup when driven hard on track. Lots of body roll and lack of camber does cumulative damage and this set was already showing some severe outer shoulder wear before this test.

The car felt a LOT better than the 1.2 second lap time drop showed. The handling as so much better but the skinny, failing Michelins were holding the car back. Todd and I had high hopes that the fresh Bridgestone RE71R tires would drop a much bigger chunk of time. Now it was time to pull the Michelins off and swap on the wider wheels and tires....

Todd has all the right tools and jacks and we made quick work of the wheel swap in the paddock, between sessions. We set the initial pressures around 28-29 psi and would bleed them down after I came in "hot" to the low 30s, if the tire scrubbing looked good.

continued below

Last edited by Fair!; 07-07-2017 at 10:02 AM.
Unread 07-06-2017, 12:57 PM
I blame the internet

continued from above

I had not tracked on the Bridgestone RE71R tire yet (only autocrossed them at this point) but I heard from many reliable sources that these come up to temp quickly then overheat and get greasy on track after a few laps, so I really needed to string a good lap together in the first 2-3 laps. I talked to the other fast guys in the Advanced group, who knew we were doing testing, and they let me lead out the group once again.

This time the rest of the field wasn't catching me in 2-3 laps as the RS was flat-out flying, throwing down some respectable lap times for "street tires". In Test 2 the RS dropped a nearly 3 more seconds on the 275mm RE71R Bridgestones with a best lap of 1:23.510 - the quickest for the night (which is only 1 second back from what I ran in a Corvette C6 Z06). So from bone stock to "better suspension + better street tires" we found 4 seconds in the Focus, which is just massive.

As foretold the Bridgestones came up to temp quickly and I put my best lap in on hot lap 2 (1:23.5), followed up with a half second slowing (1:24.0) on lap 3. I caught the tail end of the group and spent the next 2 laps trying to get around these guys, then did a cool down lap (lap 5) to get the tire temps back down, and went for another fast lap on hot lap 6. I pushed my braking zones but ended up driving 2 wheels off the outside of Riccochet, which was my cue to stop that session. The tires were just too hot and sliding too much for a fast or consistent lap by then, so I came in.

Looking at the data the 275mm Bridgestones gave us 1.25 g of grip in most corners and 1.1g under braking. There are several "off camber" corners where it never pushed beyond 1.1g, but that's MSR-Cresson for ya. Of course I had mistakes and with more time and less traffic we could have found more, but these were similar conditions to the baseline test 2 months earlier and I knew the track very well, having driven it for over a decade.

Test 3 was where the COBB Acccessport was used to load a boosted tune. I got the same start out front but I ran nearly the same lap times. After trying on 10 hot laps in the third session I ran a 1:24.015 (lap 2), 1:23.658 (lap 3), another 1:24.054 (lap 5), then got bogged down in traffic. I had another 1:24.135 (lap 7), a 1:24.019 (lap 9), then really got stuck in the pack. Consistent, at least. The extra power didn't slow the car down a tenth, it was just the crowded track and me not wringing every ounce out of the car. Frustrated that I never got to show what the extra ~30 hp could do, but it wasn't much different.

Above: Showing the tread wear on the Right Front tire. This tire took most of the abuse on this CCW track

The pictures above show the tire wear on the right front Bridgestone tire after tests 2 and 3 - these tires were brand new when we started. They show some signs of wear on the outside edges and the center rib, similar to but look better than the Michelins showed after the same number of laps on the stock suspension. Don't forget, these RE71R tires are a much softer compound than the MPSS and in my opinion are not what people should buy for daily driver tires - these are thinly disguised race tires - and I cautioned Todd to drive on these as little as possible. The plan was for him to drive to far away Optima events on the Michelins and tow the trailer with the bagged RE71R tires, to keep the number of heat cycles down.

Please excuse the grainy pics - whoever I handed my camera to didn't use the telephoto lens very well. What you want to see in the image above is the loaded outside front tire in Big Bend (fastest corner of the track). The tire is almost straight up and down. This shows the suspension rolled enough to allow almost all of our 3.5 degrees of static negative camber to be "consumed" in bushing bind and roll (for a "dynamic camber" setting nearing zero). This still wore the tires fairly well but I'd still like to see about 1 deg of negative camber on the outside tire when loaded. A change to larger Whiteline swaybars later in 2016 helped with this (by reducing body roll), and a bump up in spring rate would help as well - if the non-adjustable dampers can deal with the added rate.

Just to compare the RS' 1:23.5 lap time to other cars, here's a listing of lap times I have driven at MSR on this same 1.7 mile CCW configuration:

So the Focus is in good company, and is quicker than my TTD lap record setting BMW 330 (above left) I ran in March 2017. We've made the TTD car quicker and lighter since then, but that's still impressive that the Focus on "street tires" beat a race prepped BMW on a 245mm Hoosier R7 (although the RE71R makes almost the same grip numbers). The RS' lap time is also knocking on the door of a Corvette C6 Z06 that I drove in stock form and only 2 seconds back from the 2017 Grand Sport (above right).

WHAT HAPPENED NEXT?

So we're caught up to September 2016... what happened next?

Todd ran the RS at a lot more Optima events after the suspension, wheel and tire upgrade and his placings shot way up within Optima's GTS class competition. The RS was always a crowd favorite wherever it went.

He also made more changes over the next few months before the OUSCI invitational after SEMA. The heat of this turbocharged engine was a constant battle and he purchased a new stock hood and made this ducted version below, which tested well at several high altitude and hotter events.

Todd did the metalwork himself and even got it painted and polished for Optima events, to try to score those Design and Engineering points.

There were a number of other upgrades both mechanically and visually that Todd performed on the RS. The engine bay was dressed up (for more D&E points) and fitted with an Optima battery (it is their series). A bolt-in roll bar was added for some safety.

Vendors started sending him all sorts of parts, like these bolt-on braces that were added below. Magnaflow sent him one of the earliest exhaust systems to Todd as well. Being the first RS in the USA that was competing on such a visible series as Optima helped bring manufacturers to this car. Todd tested the parts in real racing use and helped get feedback to the various product engineers.

The Forgestar wheels were powder coated in the lime green color Todd likes, but they were kept off the streets most of the time (except for this alignment session at Texas Track Works) and the MPSS tires were used to ferry the car around the country to Optima events.

Eventually the RS accumulated enough series points and fans to get an invite to the annual 2016 Optima Invitational shootout, and Whiteline asked him to put his car in their booth. A carbon fiber hood was fitted to the somewhat famous RS at the show, too.

Immediately after the 2016 SEMA show the RS competed in the 2016 OUSCI event in Las Vegas.

The 2016 OUSCI results show Todd finishing in 37th out of 77 entries, which is not bad considering the level of drivers, cars, prep, and horsepower at these events. He finished consistently well in the hot lap (time trial), autocross, Speed Stop and D&E events there. Compared to the three EVO/STi awd cars that finished ahead of him, Todd's RS was by far the heaviest, street-car-iest, least modified example.

Once again Danny Popp's heavily modified 2003 Corvette Z06 took top honors, and 10 of the top 20 finishers were Corvettes - which is a staple of this series.

Todd left Vegas and drove straight to California's desert track Buttonwillow for the 2016 Super Lap Battle, a time trial event held by the Global Time Attack organization. The RS finished 5th out of 9 in the Limited AWD class with a best lap of 2:00.197. Having run with the GTA group and specifically at this track, that's a darn quick time. He also had some "hang time" with the curb jump shown above right.

TODD'S 2016 OPTIMA EVENT VIDEOS

The RS's owner Todd of MyShopAssist made some great videos from a number of Optima events, which I will share below. These include in-car video with data from the autocross, speed stop and track portions of several events:
  • Optima at Charlotte Motor Speedway, July 30, 2017 - Video, bone stock RS. Todd finished 8th out of 25 in GTS class.
  • Optima at Circuit of the Americas (COTA), August 6, 2016 - Video. Todd finished 11th out of 26 in GTS class. Stock suspension, tires, upgraded G-LOC brake pads.
  • Optima at Road America, August 27, 2016 - Video. First time on Bilsteins and camber plates, stock tires. Todd started Left Foot braking. Todd finished 8th out of 19 in GTS class
  • Optima at NOLA, Sept 17, 2016 - Video. First time on big wheels/tires + oil cooler added. Todd finished 5th out of 18 in GTS class

WHAT'S NEXT?

Todd has run the RS at some of the Optima events in 2017, but I will cover this and future developments in a later post.

We have already made two production batches of the 3rd gen Focus/ST/RS camber plates, which we are selling to folks that have upgraded to coilover suspension. The Bilstein PSS coilover set we used on Todd's car is being offered for the ST (with our optional springs/perches/rates) and we will make the production parts to fit this to the RS.

After sending the factory brake pad scans/measurements to G-LOC they made 8 compounds of brake pads for the RS foe use on the front and rear. They sent Todd the first front set in the R12 compound and he said the brakes felt noticeably better. Powerbrake already has a 6 piston, 350mmx34 big brake kit for the ST/RS front which should easily fit inside of the 18x9.5" wheels we spec'd for this car.

Thanks for reading,

Last edited by Fair!; 07-07-2017 at 10:05 AM.
Unread 07-07-2017, 02:14 PM

did the RDU cause any issues? did you guys add anything for that?
Unread 07-11-2017, 11:25 AM
Jason McDaniel - Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmmilk View Post
did the RDU cause any issues? did you guys add anything for that?
We haven't done anything to it yet. If driven hard it does still turn off.