LSx e30 M3 on Two Guys Garage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LSx e30 M3 on Two Guys Garage

One of the hosts of the show 2 Guys Garage, Kevin Byrd, has been working on this E30 LS1 project at home in Detroit for at least the last 3 years... he called me way back when we were building the Alpha car after he had the idea to do the E30 LS1 on the show, and we've shared some pictures and kicked around some ideas. Believe me, with the quality of work he has performed, it well exceeded any of our little V8 swaps!

I just watched the episode (913) where they introduced the build. Although they didn't reveal much of the swap yet, believe me, its nearly done and its a FANTASTIC build. Total show car quality craftsmanship but he's a racer at heart so there's no compromises on performance, anywhere.

Here's the link to the intro video for Episode (913) - "Cold Air, Hot Rod" We tackle an A/C cooling problem on a Toyota Tacoma and introduce you to Kevin’s Hot Rod BMW.

They replay these episodes regularly, and this is their latest one, so look for it on your program guide.

If you manage to DVR the show, go to about the halfway point for the LSx E30 project's introduction - all they showed us so far was the drivetrain (built 480 hp LS3 + built T56) sitting next to the car, the custom full length headers, and the bare chassis itself (semi-complete bodywork w/ enlarged M3 box flares). I think they plan on showing more of the build-up on the show throughout this season and next.

I've got more pictures of the thing with the drivetrain in, and it looks amazing, but per an agreement I can't post them. But the screen shots above are right off their video from their website, so those are free game.

Set up "2 Guys Garage" (on SPEED) on your DVR and tune in! Its a decent car show and they will document that build well, and the AST shocks it has are being shown in detail on an upcoming episode.
    Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
    2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
    EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Re: LSx e30 M3 on Two Guys Garage

Originally posted by speedbyrd
    thanks for the props Terry! your E36 build really set the bar. i really appreciate all the help, direction, and advice you gave me. the project is really coming out nice...

500hp, fully channeled frame, dual 3" exhaust, 10" wide rears, massive Brembos, and fully adjustable AST coil-overs.

i had a little fun on this one. i tried to push the build quality as much as i could for a true street and track beater. it wasn't easy getting the LS3 in there (a bit tighter than the E36) without cutting corners. i did a lot of moving metal to get her right. in the end though, she's gonna get thrashed and driven hard.

for anyone interested in catching the re-runs so far..

http://www.speedtv.com/schedule/filter/program/803013

the intro is "Cold Air, Hot Rod"
    and the full build is "LSM3"
    Hey, its the ByrdMan himself. Cool! Glad you found the forum post here on Corner Carvers. I've cross-posted this to 3 other forums, so I'll copy this one to each. They are kinder on the other forums, trust me.

Just got the episode for the AST intro on your car. Good stuff!

And trust me, I know how tight it is to try to get an LSx into an E30... its pretty much a nightmare swap compared to an E36, which has FEET more room under hood, both longitudinally and latterly. We test fit an LS1 + T56 in ours and it was eye opening. With the little T5 we have, its easier still, but still a royal pain to get the brake master cylinder and radiator to fit. I need to look at the hydroboost you used, for sure.

Can't wait to see more episodes of the show with your E30 project!

Cheers,

Comment

My only question... BimmerWorld for ASTs?

Wut?

When I looked last week, they didn't even have them on the website

Comment

Originally posted by John in Houston View Post
        My only question... BimmerWorld for ASTs?

Wut?

When I looked last week, they didn't even have them on the website
        Yes, that's correct. Working on a "go live" date. It is all there, just hidden for now.
        Brian Hanchey
        AST Suspension - USA

Comment

the tough spots were trying to push the engine rearward. i sliced, rolled and metal worked the tunnel around the bellhousing to try to get the engine back as far as possible (for weight distribution, rad packaging and air inlet. i've seen other e30 swaps get pretty squished up front.
          Tell me about it! I look at your car and wonder... man, we totally missed the mark!

We've got a lousy 60/40 front/rear weight balance in our E30/LSx to fight with and we're seriously thinking of doing an aluminum 5.3L just to shed 75-85 pounds off the nose (iron is just so damn dense). I wish we would have spent more time trying to get the motor located more rearward, fighting for every fraction of an inch, like you did. We were trying to keep the car legal for an SCCA class (XP) and of course, we had a $2010 budget... so we had some pretty weird limitations compared to your build. Still, I wish I would have seen more of your car sooner... it would have changed the way we did several things.

I'd sure like to see more about the hydroboost brakes... we're not so happy with the manual E36 master cylinder on our heap. Our car barely stops. :o

obviously the headers and exhaust were a mofo. but that was all about patience and a long winter. it took a while to figure out the right combo of components and to make it come out clean. i really want it to sound beautiful, so i spent some time thinking about it.
          Yea, you have got to show more of the exhaust on your M3. The pics you sent earlier were AMAZING. The headers and exhaust you built are just... damn sexy.

After burning through our headers quickly (about 4 days and roughly 60 hours) and seeing how yours looked in comparison... again, you should show off what you've got there.

hope you guys like it. we've got 3 episodes taped so far. the 3rd one is pretty lite, but there's some b-mer eye candy mixed in there at least.
          I'm hooked, for one. I watched a few episodes of the old show years ago, but now with you and Fuller hosting, well... there's no comparison. Keep up the good work, and keep doing the cool projects! Your E30 and Fuller's Honda Cafe Racer have been the best parts of the show this season.

Don't you guys shoot the episodes in Florida? Yall should look at building a $2011 Challenge car... the event is held every year in Gainesville at their NHRA track. Its the ultimate race car fab test on the cheap. Drag racing, autocrossing, and car show, all scored, and all done for 2011 bucks. That's got to attract some kind of audience, right? It will at least make you go insane.

Keep up the good work!

Comment

Working...
          X