Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Subaru BRZ / Toyota FRS / FT86 Chassis Related Tech

Originally posted by Redwood View Post
    Subaru Importing Only 6000 2013 model BRZs to the U.S. - Let the dealer gouging commence...
    Anyone who pays over MSRP deserves to. Not only does the internet make the old MSRP+ markup ploy unfeasible, but the FR-S is (nearly) mechanically identical and Scion dealerships MUST sell at MSRP.

The FT is looking like it might end up a relative success; rave reviews, some good numbers, and it gets a response out of everyone that looks into it. Even the haters can't seem to stop talking about it. Unless the production models turn out to just outright suck (unlikely) I think it has a good chance to become the next Miata.

Comment

Subaru BRZ Manual Online
      -Sean Martin
      2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

Originally posted by Draco-REX View Post
        Anyone who pays over MSRP deserves to. Not only does the internet make the old MSRP+ markup ploy unfeasible, but the FR-S is (nearly) mechanically identical and Scion dealerships MUST sell at MSRP.

The FT is looking like it might end up a relative success; rave reviews, some good numbers, and it gets a response out of everyone that looks into it. Even the haters can't seem to stop talking about it. Unless the production models turn out to just outright suck (unlikely) I think it has a good chance to become the next Miata.
        I think so as well, most dealers have said they signed something with SOA to not sell above MSRP and those that are have been added to a blacklist on some of the FR-S/BRZ forums.

I think it should be successful and could definitely become the next Miata, but I know some people will hate on it because it has "only 200 horsepower". I'll be posting my own thoughts on the car once mine arrives.
        Matt @ Vorshlag Motorsports

Comment

Subaru launches production of BRZ, Scion FR-S coupes
          -Sean Martin
          2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

BRZ Limited weighed. 2723.

http://www.subarubrzforum.com/showth...ship-with-pics.

No info about driver weights or fuel level.

Comment

First tests are up...
              -2013 Subaru BRZ Limited First Test at Motor Trend

-2013 Subaru BRZ Full Test & Video at Inside Line
              -Sean Martin
              2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

Is there any truth to the FR-S having diffrent spring rates to the BRZ from the factory.

Thanks,

K

Comment

Originally posted by kablammo View Post
                  Is there any truth to the FR-S having diffrent spring rates to the BRZ from the factory.

Thanks,

K
                  Yea, the rumor is that one version has stiffer springs ans softer shock valving (FRS) and the other has softer springs and stiffer shock valving (BRZ). Trust me - its going to be so minor you wouldn't notice. We will test the spring rates on both models as soon as we can, but I'd bet good money the difference is less than 10%, and both spring rates will be so soft as to make each car a LEAN MACHINE, like most bone stock cars. 10% is nothing... we usually increase spring rates by 200-400% with coilover conversions, so a 10% swing on spring rates when they are this soft is a rounding error, to me.

Even a stock 2011 WRX and 2008 EVO X MR have super soft spring rates. The BRZ/FRS isn't even that "sporty" and will likely have more roll

I wouldn't let these minor differences in rumored spring rates sway you from a BRZ to an FRS. Buy the one you like from the aesthetics, or if you like Subaru more than Scion... they are going to be so similar as to not matter much, performance-wise. With proper spring rates (3-5 times stiffer than stock) and good adjustable monotube shocks (ASTs, etc) these cars will handle MUCH flatter and ride as good or almost as good as stock.

Cheers,
                  Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
                  2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
                  EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

Thanks for the update!

Do you think the FR-S and BRZ are under braked?

From the reviews I've seen it appears that the brakes may not hold up to track duty. In Chris Harris's video: ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=romf-G6CZ7g ) he was experiencing brake fade. However, I'm sure that car was used and abused that day and Chris was surely hooning it. TRD has a BBK on their option list but so far no pricing.

On a side note I stoped by the Scion dealership yesterday and the sales manager claimed that they are going to try to produce 75K units of the FR-S and get this... only 3.5K of the BRZ! I'd take this claim with a grain of salt as I trust dealers only as far as I can see them. Regarding Scion pricing, since Scion does not negotiate one bit (Pure Price), it really doesn't matter where you buy an FR-S unless you can find a dealer with no D&H or one that will negotiate D&H.

Color options - it appears that Whiteout and Firestorm are non-pearl/metallic and Raven may possiblly be as well.
                    Last edited by kablammo; 03-27-2012, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Pricing For 2013 Subaru BRZ Premium Set at $26,245, Limited at $27,345
                      -Sean Martin
                      2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

Below is the correct pricing per the press release I received. I think the "Limited" you are quoting is actually the Premium model with AT. Both your prices include destination charges.

MT
                        $25,495 Premium ($26245 with destination charges)
                        $27,495 Limited ($28245 with destination charges)

AT
                        $26,595 Premium ($27345 with destination charges)
                        $28,595 Limited ($29345 with destination charges)
                        Matt @ Vorshlag Motorsports

Comment

Hmm, maybe they updated the article from when it was originally posted. Yeah, no point in NOT including destination charges, since those will get paid.
                          -Sean Martin
                          2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

TC, VSC and BOS Nannies.... can they truly be turned off? People are having some issues turning them completely off - sure hope this is not true.

Linkie: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4742

Comment

Video: 5 Minutes to a Faster 2013 Scion FR-S via tire changes (track comparison)

So, watch that gearing with upsized wheels/tires. The wider 18s were slower than the skinny 17s with the same Dunlop Star Spec tires.
                              -Sean Martin
                              2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

Article on the above post:

Scion FR-S Tire Transformation - Special Report
                                Don’t judge a car by its tires: What happens when you give an FR-S some grip?
                                http://www.roadandtrack.com/special-...transformation
                                -Sean Martin
                                2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

Working...
                                X