SCCA Southwest Solo Divisional # 2, July 10-12, 2009

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCCA Southwest Solo Divisional # 2, July 10-12, 2009

It was a very strange event last weekend. Cars kept breaking, the surface wasn't cooperating, and it was hotter than HELL. The surface conditions had a lot of people chasing the setup... ambient temps of 105-108°F and track temps exceeding 140°. STU had a huge class at this Divisional but it might not have been the best comparison of everyone's potential at Nationals (well I hope not at least).

Props to Jason McCall, who drove the wheels off of Jeremy's EVO 8 (2nd place)

Nobody had anything to match the speed Vitek had in his '07 STI. He paxed #1 overall on Day 1!

There was a wide variety of cars in STU!

John driving our EVO X had his hands full hanging on to 3rd place out of 12

I spent the weekend trying to tame this 490 whp beast. Not a chance!

Me giving the Yokohama rep a ride after the event. The EVO wouldn't turn!

I will admit we had some setup problems on our EVO X. Brian was on a much needed vacation so the two drivers were in my hands for the weekend, and I made some changes on the car last week. Amy and John drove and tweaked things at the Friday test-n-tune, but I never got a chance as I kept hopping into other cars to drive/tweak setups (drove 7 cars that day - but never once in the EVO). They didn't like how it was working so they made some big changes to the shock settings for Saturday. It was worse so we brought it back to the shop and changed the front springs Saturday night, but they still couldn't seem to get the car to rotate.

Come to find out there were possibly some mistakes made on shock adjustments that only made matters worse (my fault for not helping/showing them what to do). I also made some radical alignment changes last week and we're having to chase several other items to get it all working together properly again. I put in one run Sunday after the competition was over and it felt terrible - pushed like mad mid-corner. Its never handled this badly. After that one run I had this sick feeling in my stomach... I cannot believe I botched the setup so badly. Lots of data to pour over so we'll use that to make some valving and spring rate changes this week, maybe tweak ride height and bar settings, and hopefully get it straightened out before Amy and I run it again at the same site next weekend. This was the first event where we collected "shock pot" data on the EVO so that might tell us a lot.

I really blame myself for not driving it at the TNT on Friday, and then not helping more with valving changes Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Brian was calling trying to show me what to do Saturday night to change someone in the reservoirs but we were so burned out from the heat that we just bagged it after changing the springs. The work/run order at the event had me working when Amy ran (she still won her class by 9 seconds) and I was running in XP at the opposite end of the grid when John was running the EVO in STU, so they were pretty much on their own all weekend.

Some of the other XP competition

The grid guys really jacked things up so we never knew when we were going to run in our heat, and the oppressive temperatures kept us running for shade during our run group, too. I really had my hands full trying to drive (read: hang onto!) our XP car, which hasn't been driven in 8 months and had an extra 200hp since the last time we tracked or autocrossed it. The motor was making violent power and it just laughed at 315mm wide Kumho V710s - it was a handful, but a ton of fun.

Even with this crazy finish, Jon Wagner and Jeremy Foley made it an AST 1-2 finish in SuperStock

Vorshlag staff member Stuart and father Doug took 1st and 4th in AStock

Oh well.... you win some, you lose some. We came away from this weekend with two wins (Stuart who works here won AStock, Amy in STUL), a 2nd (me in XP), and a 3rd (John in STU). Lots of other AST drivers did well in their classes, too. Our EVO will return with a better setup very soon - it will be hard to make it worse than it was this past weekend.

AST drivers Matt Lucas and Chris Ledbetter also took 1-2 in STX, by a huge margin
    Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
    2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
    EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Re: SCCA Southwest Solo Divisional # 2, July 10-12, 2009

The bus lot STINKS!!!
    Though, it acted like I wasnt pushing quite hard enough on Sat. and then a little too aggressive on Sun. I need to make it out to concrete and do some more testing to see how the car is stacking up.

Congrats to all those that did well!
    '06 Mustang GT
    VTPP!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Fair! View Post

AST drivers Matt Lucas and Chris Ledbetter also took 1-2 in STX, by a huge margin
      Great write-up, as usual, Terry!

Do you have any idea what tires Matt and Chris are running?

Comment

Originally posted by rp1 View Post
        Great write-up, as usual, Terry!

Do you have any idea what tires Matt and Chris are running?
        They have been running Dunlops this year but this past weekend at a Regional they switched to Yokohama AD08s, I think.
        Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
        2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
        EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

Working...
        X