LS1/BMW wiring tips

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LS1/BMW wiring tips

Its time to start wiring the Beta car. DPH has already jumped into the LS1 harness with some key systems already started: starter is already wired, the LS1 harness is already labeled, and the shop manuals are in hand (2000 Camaro + E36 Bently). HP Tuners package is on the way as well.

The old "LS1 Edit" software has been superseded by HP Tuners software, which is a huge leap forward for tuning LS1s. There are cars running 8 sec quarter miles on the stock ECM using HP Tuner software, so I think it should work on Scooter's stock '00 LS1 motor (phase 1 shake-down motor) as well as the 700hp 7.0L L92 based mill that HKE is brewing up for it (phase 2 over the winter).

The first things will be to disable VATS, then turn off a few of the OBD-II systems not being used on this 1993 model car. Sure, a fully functional OBD-II system is possible, but not necessary for this part street use / mostly track duty monster.

E36 318is harness / "tagged" 2000 Camaro LS1 harness / 2000 Camaro + E36 Bently manuals / LS1 harness in E36

It looks daunting but is all very straightforward. Very little of the "engine harness" from the E36 is used... just a few solenoids, the main power wire from the battery/starter, and a few gauges. An original F-body LS1 engine harness can be modified fairly easily (or a custom one can be purchased for not much money) and that's what is being done in the pictures above. These pics are from Teucci's work on the Alpha car, and we'll use some of that work as a "go by" for the Beta.

I'll get some pictures posted today of the Beta wiring progress. Fuel system is also well underway (E36 specific in-tank 255 lph pump is here, lots of -8 AN braided fuel lines and a bunch of AN fittings). I'll put the fuel system tips in another thread, and cooling will also get its own (the fabricated aluminum radiator, part of the Stage 1 kit, is going in today as well).
    Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
    2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
    EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev
Working...
X